Can't seem to grasp direct dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdiana36

Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
West Chester, PA
Hi all, I've been vaping for over a year and have attempted no less than 7000 times (possibly a bit of an exaggeration) to drip into an atomizer. I've tried 501's, 306's, attys with bridges and bridgeless ones as well. It never fails, I always get a burnt taste. As soon as I get even a slight burnt taste I drip a few more drops. I now stick strictly with carto tanks but I still have a bunch of attys I'd like to learn how to use. Anyone that could give me a bit of advice or link to a "how to drip" post, I would really appreciate. Thanks!

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
I've noticed on a new Atty I have to "prime" with about 4 drops and give it a couple minutes for the liquid to actually saturate the wick. Otherwise I burn the Atty from the get go and that taste lingers.

Things to note after that:

I do 2-3 drops, then about 5-6 puffs... repeat.

Also if you hold the button too long you can burn.... I tend to push the button for only the first 1/2 to 3/4 of my draw

I've learned there is a VERY fine line between perfectly dripped and flooded... if you hover in that area you are actually a LONG way from burning

Sent from my HTC HOLIDAY using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I always had that problem as well. I could never get a warning sign to add more drops. The Avid 306's were the easiest for me to use.

That has changed recently. I purchased a few rba drip atties. They work so much better for me. I like the choices of how to wick and coil them. They hold more drops, and when the flavor starts to mute. Simply add more drops.

pdiana36

Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
West Chester, PA
I've noticed on a new Atty I have to "prime" with about 4 drops and give it a couple minutes for the liquid to actually saturate the wick. Otherwise I burn the Atty from the get go and that taste lingers.

Things to note after that:

I do 2-3 drops, then about 5-6 puffs... repeat.

Also if you hold the button too long you can burn.... I tend to push the button for only the first 1/2 to 3/4 of my draw

I've learned there is a VERY fine line between perfectly dripped and flooded... if you hover in that area you are actually a LONG way from burning

Sent from my HTC HOLIDAY using Tapatalk

I'm going to give that a shot, thanks!

pdiana36

Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
West Chester, PA
I always had that problem as well. I could never get a warning sign to add more drops. The Avid 306's were the easiest for me to use.

That has changed recently. I purchased a few RBA drip atties. They work so much better for me. I like the choices of how to wick and coil them. They hold more drops, and when the flavor starts to mute. Simply add more drops.

I've been looking into the RBA's but due to my ignorance with normal atty's I thought this may be a bit too difficult for me to handle. I've heard good things though so I may give it a try. Any in particular that you recommend?

Condorman

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2012
UK
the A7 is a great dripping RBA. to start you can buy prewired wicks, then when you feel like taking a chance you can try wrapping your own. its easy with a silica wick atty. if you can use a screw driver you can change the prebuilt coils in an A7 or phoenix

Forgive my ignorance, but What is !dripping! As opposed to vaping?

pdiana36

Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
West Chester, PA
the A7 is a great dripping RBA. to start you can buy prewired wicks, then when you feel like taking a chance you can try wrapping your own. its easy with a silica wick atty. if you can use a screw driver you can change the prebuilt coils in an A7 or phoenix

I've used a screw driver a few times (and I do mean only a few times) so I'm going to look up this one. Thanks for all the help. Although if anyone has any additional suggestions on dripping in the 501 and 306 attys I still currently have I would appreciate it. I'm going to try what Clippinwings suggested & see how that goes.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I love dripping :)

If its a brand new atty, the first time you use it put 5 drop of juice in it and blow through it into a kleenex or paper towel to help clear any primer. Next add 4 drops of juice and takes two draws. Add 3 drop of juice and take 3 draws. From here forward depends on the person and the atty ;) Most often I can add 3 drops and take about 5 draws before needing to add another 3 drops. When you are first starting better to add 3 drops more often then not often enough. If you are adding too much juice you'll not get a a good draw and may here some gurggling. If that happens just blow through your atty into the kleenex or papertowel to get rid of the access juice. Yes, its does seem wasteful of juice BUT its part of the learning curve and more then worth it in the long run, trust me :) You may be able to add 4 drops of juice at a time and you may get 3-7 vapes before needing to add more liquid. With a little patience you will find your own perfect mix of what works best for you.

I also recommending getting a drip shield which may also require getting a shorty sealed 510-510 connector. With the drip shield you can add more drops of juice at a time and not have to worry about the juice leaking out of the bottom of the atty and making a mess.

pdiana36

Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
West Chester, PA
If I use too many volts I burn easily. Be sure your power and ohms on the atty are in the right ranges and don't use low reserve Atties. They get hotter.

Well you hit right on the nail of another of my issues. This girl right here can't seem to figure out what's the right ohm to use at the right voltage. I've heard higher ohms means you should use higher voltage but for an example - what's the best ohms to use on a 3.7? Or is it personal preference? For someone who has been vaping for over a year and has turned many people onto vaping, I am one hot mess if I'm trying to use anything other than tanks.

letsrock0303

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've been a dripper since I started 2 years ago, and have used almost strictly the standard 510s and 306s. Basically, it goes like this for me. I blow all the primer out of the new atty into a tissue or paper towel. Then I drip in 4 drops and leave it alone for like 5 to 10 minutes. Then you can drip in 2 drops and give it a couple puffs. Then drip in 3 and puff away. When you start getting any burnt taste, or you don't hear any gurgling at all when you drag, give it 3 drops. Simple as that. 5 puffs seems kind of short to me unless it is a brand new atty. When I have a well seasoned atty (been using it for a while) I get closer to 10 drags before I have to drip again.

For me, the best attys at 3.7 volts are the 1.8 ohm low res ones (or within .1 of that). I find that 1.5 tastes like burning, and anything higher just doesn't give me enough throat hit. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread