Can't hit 50W on Kanger Subox Mini without dry hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone.

I've had my Kanger sub box mini starter kit for about two weeks now. I love it. However I've noticed that I can never get a decent hit at 50w on the .5 ohm coil without some degree of burning taste. I've followed the advice of another thread here, and pre-draw before hitting the button, and even dialed back the air to the smaller holes which work for 40-45 but not to 50. I'm running Mad H currently and Betty before this and they are amazing to taste, but I'd like to run it wide open. Anyone else notice this problem?

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
50 watts is too high for those coils , there are new vertical coils which some say can take higher watts but not sure about 50watts.

ETA.
says goes down to 0.3Ω so maybe try a tank coils with 0.3Ω.
yup - i generally don't push those coils over 35w

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
No other reason than to try it. I like a hot hit.

I'm at the point where I'm actually thinking of upgrading the tank. A guy at my local vape shop let me hit his at 70W with the new Triton tank. He had a mix of VTC and Salubrious and it tasted amazing and the cloud was crazy.

Aspire triton tank can use a 0.3Ω coil.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
You know, the coil itself actually says what wattage it's made for.

kanger-subtank-coils-2.jpg

Printed right there on the side of the coil. All you had to do was read it.

You know, the coil itself actually says what wattage it's made for.

kanger-subtank-coils-2.jpg

Printed right there on the side of the coil. All you had to do was read it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The OCC coil that came with my subox mini starter kit actually has a diagram on it that says depending on the VG amount, how high you can run. 50-70% states the .5 can go up to 50W. However my replacement coils do have it printed like Completely Average says. (I'm assuming you get these types of questions so often, its natural to give a slightly snide comment. Thanks regardless) Unfortunately I assumed when I bought my replacement coils they were the same vertical ones that came with my kit, but they aren't. Lesson learned as I will check next time.
This is an interesting learning process. Last night I made the mistake of putting in a new coil without wicking it first, and had my wattage set to 45. I was told to give a few test burn puffs to help the juice set in. Wow was that unpleasant. Pure cotton. I have a feeling that coil is pretty much ruined. Live and learn I suppose. I put in a new coil today, wicked it well (down inside the well, and several drops inside the side holes) and I'm back to enjoying the great flavor that Mad H provides, and now I know not to run hotter than 30W.

As I said, it seems I've caught the bug. Triton is next with .3 ohm coils.Then a new box mod. /sigh

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Thanks for the replies everyone. The OCC coil that came with my subox mini starter kit actually has a diagram on it that says depending on the VG amount, how high you can run. 50-70% states the .5 can go up to 50W. However my replacement coils do have it printed like Completely Average says. (I'm assuming you get these types of questions so often, its natural to give a slightly snide comment. Thanks regardless) Unfortunately I assumed when I bought my replacement coils they were the same vertical ones that came with my kit, but they aren't. Lesson learned as I will check next time.
This is an interesting learning process. Last night I made the mistake of putting in a new coil without wicking it first, and had my wattage set to 45. I was told to give a few test burn puffs to help the juice set in. Wow was that unpleasant. Pure cotton. I have a feeling that coil is pretty much ruined. Live and learn I suppose. I put in a new coil today, wicked it well (down inside the well, and several drops inside the side holes) and I'm back to enjoying the great flavor that Mad H provides, and now I know not to run hotter than 30W.

As I said, it seems I've caught the bug. Triton is next with .3 ohm coils.Then a new box mod. /sigh
for what it is worth, i think by 'test burn puffs' they may have meant primer puffs (close/ cover airholes and puff on it while NOT pressing button to pull juice into wick... watch for small air bubbles coming from wick holes to indicate juice flow)... vape on!

for what it is worth, i think by 'test burn puffs' they may have meant primer puffs (close/ cover airholes and puff on it while NOT pressing button to pull juice into wick... watch for small air bubbles coming from wick holes to indicate juice flow)... vape on!

Yes!!!! That makes much more sense.

I see you have some chemistry going on there, as an aspiring engineer, I'm starting to see that there is a science (and a little of art) to all this. Brain engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread