Can someone help me work out ratios of nicotine solution to base?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DsyF

Mar 26, 2017
Hi,
I've found a supplier for nicotine solution and base mix who sells the product in glass bottles.
Having it in glass is a must for me, but it's making things complicated:

I'm aiming for a 50VG/50PG mix @ 1.8%
The nicotine solution is available as VG or PG @ 7.2%, so i need to dilute it 3x to reach 1.55% (i was planning on 1.8% but i think that'd make it too complicated)

Here's where it gets confusing; The base mix is available in 85VG/15PG, 70VG/30PG, 60VG/40PG
I'm not sure how i can reach a ratio of 50/50 diluting it only 3 times..

The closest i've got is: 160/140.. by starting with 100ml PG 7.2% and using the 70VG/30PG base mix:
PG - VG - Nicotine
100 - 0 - (7.2%)
130 - 70 - (3.1%)
160 - 140 - (1.55%)

Am i going about this wrong? It's a bit of a headache that's for sure.
How would you suggest i reach the desired 50VG/50PG mix at the right strength?
I tried a couple e-liquid calculators, but they all require your base liquid to be either PG or VG, not a mix of the two.
Thanks, D

Last edited:

DsyF

Mar 26, 2017
Thankyou very much Richu75,

Can i just check i followed this bit correctly:
Thats translates to 100ml 60/40 and 200ml 70/30.
>
So i'd need to buy both the 60/40 and 70/30 base liquids - in order to make:
1 part PG based nicotine, 1 part 60/40, 2 parts 70/30 ?

The above recipe creating 400ml of 50/50 eliquid?
Much appreciated, (i didn't realize my maths had gotten so bad :()

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The nicotine solution is available as VG or PG @ 7.2%, so i need to dilute it 3x to reach 1.55% (i was planning on 1.8% but i think that'd make it too complicated)

Just a heads up about the above - The forum Mods strongly frown on discussion of nic strength in %, and they want it to be given in mg/mL on here. It helps to avoid confusion for other newbies to DIY if everyone "talks" about it in the same way, which is the way most suppliers sell it on their websites (ie. mg/mL rather than in %).

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Hi,
I've found a supplier for nicotine solution and base mix who sells the product in glass bottles.
Having it in glass is a must for me, but it's making things complicated:

Here's where it gets confusing; The base mix is available in 85VG/15PG, 70VG/30PG, 60VG/40PG
I'm not sure how i can reach a ratio of 50/50 diluting it only 3 times..

The closest i've got is: 160/140.. by starting with 100ml PG 7.2% and using the 70VG/30PG base mix:
PG - VG - Nicotine
100 - 0 - (7.2%)
130 - 70 - (3.1%)
160 - 140 - (1.55%)

Am i going about this wrong? It's a bit of a headache that's for sure.
How would you suggest i reach the desired 50VG/50PG mix at the right strength?
I tried a couple E-liquid calculators, but they all require your base liquid to be either PG or VG, not a mix of the two.
Thanks, D

Just a question...why don't you just purchase 100mg nic in either PG or VG (I use 100mg VG nic) then buy some VG and PG and mix it yourself so you can make the base how ever you want? That way you don't have to do all the math. Also like a comment above, use an e-liquid calculator and plug in what your working with (nic strength, VG/PG ratio, and flavor percentage) and it will tell you how much of what to put in your bottle. Then all you need is some blunt tipped needles and a few syringes and make your juice. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Just a heads up about the above - The forum Mods strongly frown on discussion of nic strength in %, and they want it to be given in mg/mL on here. It helps to avoid confusion for other newbies to DIY if everyone "talks" about it in the same way, which is the way most suppliers sell it on their websites (ie. mg/mL rather than in %).
Is that a new policy? I wasn't aware that was an "official" position, just thought it was a good idea in general.

Just a question...why don't you just purchase 100mg nic
Probably from the EU, where you can't get it stronger than 72mg.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I've never heard it myself, though trust JC if she states it. The issue with percentages is that many e.g. state 3% nic instead of 0.3% nic for 3mg/ml . Personally I don't see the issue whatsoever if stating it correctly, and all the nics i've bought have stated both numbers on bottle, though i'm of course not the one who sets out the rules or best-practises around here...

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Is that a new policy? I wasn't aware that was an "official" position, just thought it was a good idea in general.

I don't know if it's an "official" position or not. However, since probably June (when more people started posting about starting DIY) I've seen some mods correct some members several times...for posting in % instead of mg/mL, or at least in mg. Said in so many words that on the ECF nic is not to be discussed in %.

One mod even very sternly (and rightly so) told a member who was incorrectly telling a newbie what a certain % of nic was, compared to mg, and he couldn't see what was wrong with it. So he was sort of arguing about it with the mod,...who replied to "Just Stop It! Talk about nic in mg and not in %!"

In fact, the particular case above was because of an issue exactly like @mhertz said above, except worse, because it was about a much higher mg of nic!

Last edited:

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA

Probably from the EU, where you can't get it stronger than 72mg.

From the EU? Not sure what you mean.

I see your in the Pacific Northwest. You would be able to order it in 100mg from a US vendor. I use 100mg. When I first started DIY I got in touch with @JCinFLA (we live 30 min away from each other and she became my DIY mentor) and she told me to get 100mg nic because it will last you longer. Say your using 100mg which is stronger so you don't have to use as much, which in turn your bottle of nic will last your longer and make more bottles of juice than if you were using 34mg nic. If your wondering what a good nic vendor is, @JCinFLA will be able to tell you where the best and cheapest place to get it. She is a deal finder so she could help you out on a vendor better than I would be able to.

Reactions: JCinFLA

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
@Wheelin247 - bwh79 was talking to me about "being a new policy" or something. Also, the person wanting the nic base is the OP, who doesn't live in the US! And EU is the European Union. :)

My mistake. Guess that I get for not paying attention to who was posting the comment. :face palm: lol

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
From the EU? Not sure what you mean.

I see your in the Pacific Northwest
I (@bwh79) am in the PNW (*Pacific Northwest), and I do buy my nic in 100mg/ml concentration.

The EU (*European Union), however, has laws restricting commercial nicotine solutions to 72mg/ml (7.2% by volume) or less, which is why I surmised that the OP (*Original Poser) probably lives in that region.

[EDIT: I could also stand to hit "refresh" before I hit "submit" once in a while.]

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I (@bwh79) am in the PNW (*Pacific Northwest), and I do buy my nic in 100mg/ml concentration.

The EU (*European Union), however, has laws restricting commercial nicotine solutions to 72mg/ml or less, which is why I surmised that the OP (*Original Poser) probably lives in that region.

Yeah like I said in my last post, I didn't realize who was posting the comment before I responded. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread