can I use a phone charger as source of USB mains plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Ok not sure if I worded that correctly but I ordered a carto kit that does not come with a wall charger, just a USB one. I was wondering if I could use the USB input on an Android phone AC adapter so I could wall charge it when I'm not around any USB ports. Here are the specs:

Input: 100-240V ~ 200mA 50-60Hz
Output: 5V === 1A

Have no idea what half of this stuff means but I figure a lot of you would because of mods and knowing a lot about batteries/volts. I will not use it if it's going to destroy my e-cig battery.

Oh and the batteries I got are just typical eGo style. So I guess 3.7v?

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
That should work o.k. It's got a 1 amp output, but your battery shouldn't draw near that much. Try it and if it makes your battery warm, or charges in less than 1-1/2 to 2 hours, don't use it again. Get a 5V 500ma wall wart with a USB port built in . You can get one for less than $5 most places. A standard computer USB outputs 5V, so voltage is not the issue. You just don't want too many amps to be pumped through the battery. Ideally, a 650mah battery should be charged at about 400-500ma. (.4-.5 amps) Charging a battery too fast and heat are what will destroy your battery.

Last edited:

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Sailorman's right.

The wall plug just converts the mains electricity to the voltage and current that you'd get from a USB port on your pc.

The charger that you plug into that wall plug or your USB port will transform the power again to what your battery requires.

If the input voltage/current on your charger matches the output voltage/current on your wall plug (and I'm betting it does) go right ahead.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Yeah mate it'll work.

mAh is not the same thing as mA

milliamp hours mAh is the current (measured in milliamps) the battery will output for one hour (after which the battery is considered flat)

320 mAh = 320 mA in one hour
Also = 640 mA sustained for 30 mins
Also = 160 mA for 120 mins

Theoretically anyway.

Your phone plug, wall wart thingy outputs max current of 1 amp @ 5 volts.

The little adapter that the battery screws into will convert that current and voltage again to something the battery can handle. It also doesn't have use the entire 1 amp of current available to it. It may only draw 150 mA or so.

Bottom line is you're safe.

If it has a USB port on it, you can safely assume that it will work.

Last edited:

rse1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Aloha, OR USA (near portland)
The little fine print on both should tell you the story. My USB charger for 808 batteries says it expects 4.5V - 6V input at 0.3A and puts out 4.5V at 0.15A. My USB charger for EgO batts says it expects 5V at 0.5A and outputs 4.2V at 0.420A. Your phone adapter generates the voltage/amperage required as input for my USB chargers (5V/0.5A).

Note that pass-thru batts generally require more amperage than chargers and I had to buy 2A adapters for my car and house to get them to work ( I didnt want to stress my computer USB ports by pulling that much power - some people have reported issues).

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
The little fine print on both should tell you the story. My USB charger for 808 batteries says it expects 4.5V - 6V input at 0.3A and puts out 4.5V at 0.15A. My USB charger for EgO batts says it expects 5V at 0.5A and outputs 4.2V at 0.420A. Your phone adapter generates the voltage/amperage required as input for my USB chargers (5V/0.5A).

Note that pass-thru batts generally require more amperage than chargers and I had to buy 2A adapters for my car and house to get them to work ( I didnt want to stress my computer USB ports by pulling that much power - some people have reported issues).

Didn't the OP say the adapter put out 1Amp?
The thing about passthroughs is that they pull that 2 amps as soon as you hit the button. Until then, they don't draw any more than the bare battery would. I had that happen to my computer. I plugged my passthrough that included an in-line 3.7 battery into my USB. If I had left it that way, it would have charged the battery just fine. But as soon as I hit the button to take a vape, it fried my port. Since then, I found a self-powered USB hub that'll handle 2.5Amps per output, so problem solved. I also have an AC "wall wart" with 5 USB slots in it that'll handle the amperage so I can recharge stuff and use the passthrough at the same time even when I'm in a different room than the computer. Very handy.

The nub of the matter is that it doesn't matter what the output amperage is of the charger as long as its providing the same or more current than the device you're charging or powering expects to be able to draw. Your device might expect .5A, but if it's getting 1A, there's no issue. If your charger can only provide .2A, it'll blow the charger, not the device.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread