Can Cutoff Be Hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zagleft1

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2008
I've been doing this long enough that I shouldn't have to ask this but....what can I say.....I'm mechanically-challenged.

I got all stoked up about getting an ecigar from the bada bing thread and others and of course none were in stock so I ordered from somewhere else what ended up being a DSE 701 model. Anyway, I've tried 2 different atomizers in this (thought the first one was defective) and the circuit cuts off in less than 1 second on both of them. One good primer puff, and......fail.

My question: is the cutoff switch in the battery or the atomizer and can any hacks be done to bypass them? This thing is basically unusable right now.:(

]v[icr0-kn0x

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Regardless if it's bad or good, the answer is no. I asked about the same question on regards of the 401's, apparently the chips have to be program during production. There isn't really any type of adapter that will allow us to reprogram the cutoff's. Although I am a bit curious, once one of my batteries run down, I'm gonna take one apart and tinker with it and see.

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
]v[icr0-kn0x;177751 said:
Regardless if it's bad or good, the answer is no. I asked about the same question on regards of the 401's, apparently the chips have to be program during production. There isn't really any type of adapter that will allow us to reprogram the cutoff's. Although I am a bit curious, once one of my batteries run down, I'm gonna take one apart and tinker with it and see.

Took apart an 801 battery tonight to make a USB passthrough and decided to trash it to get at the chip. 8 pin soic with absolutely no markings on the top. Got my SMT station out and set up and will pull it and just see if there is anything on the bottom, although I doubt it. Probably mass masked stuff.

OTOH, if we can figure out what it actually does, it should be reasonably trivial to program one of the 8 pin uCs to do what we want.

Need to dope out the rest of the circuit, looks like a couple SMT transistors and some really tiny discretes.

These things sure are fun :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread