Calculating PG/VG values

Status
Not open for further replies.

III%er

Aug 8, 2013
Valley of the Sun
When a liquid says it is 50/50 PG/VG, are these values the percentage values of the base before flavor and nictotine are added or after? Due to Pure aqueous Nic having a density of 1024 mg/mL at 25* C, and I only being able to find 100mg/mL from producers, that leads me to question the accuracy of the 50/50 PG/VG statement. Unless of course the mixologist accounts for the volume of the carrier liquid of the nicotine and subtracts if from the corresponding base ingredients. I assume flavor carriers being mainly grain alcohol, the volume effect is under a 1% error and therefore negligible.

Looking through some popular online calculators and doing the math myself. a lot of people, especially DIY types might be misinformed as to calculating PG/VG ratios.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
No offense intended, but you really need to read up a bit more in the DIY subforum. Most flavors are PG-base, I have a few that are alcohol-base but I'd say 99% are PG or possibly VG based..and if I'm understanding the first part of what you're asking, that 50/50 is after nicotine and flavoring is added to the mix. Nicotine comes diluted into a PG or VG base already, which factors into your total PG/VG ratio, and there's a very, very good reason you can't buy anything higher than 100mg online, without being a wholesaler or lab.

They're not separating out the basic PG or VG components into a percentage separate from the total mix, you're getting the PG/VG content of the nic, plus whatever other PG/VG is used in dilution, plus the PG/VG base of the flavorings.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I make DIY juice...24 mg.

My nic base is 48 mg 100% PG and nic extract, no VG.

If I want 80/20 PG/VG in my juice, I fill a bottle 1/2 full of base, add flavoring (that is PG based), add 20 % of the volume of VG, and top the rest off with PG.

So I expect my juice (having 20% VG volume in the bottle) is 80% PG, 20% VG by volume. That's all it could be. (well, 79% PG and some % nic)

Now, if you're asking us what each and every vendors does, who knows. But it's supposed to reflect the resulting % IMHO.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Looking through some popular online calculators and doing the math myself. a lot of people, especially DIY types might be misinformed as to calculating PG/VG ratios.

I DIY and use this calculator, eJuice Me Up. It lives on my computer not online though. I really doubt that too many DIY'ers are misinformed about much of it. If you want to learn more check out the DIY forum here. Really suggest you check out the Sticky Threads at the top of the page. You will find a lot of information there :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread