Status
Not open for further replies.

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
Somehow the o-ring in my mini has become unseated from inside the cap. When I screwed the bottle on today, the ring bunched up inside the cap and now it won't seal or feed juice. I tried for about an hour to get the ring seated back where it is supposed to be, but it just keeps binding up, and sometimes shooting cartoonishly across the room. I don't want to damage the ring. Is there some trick to getting this ring back in that someone might share with me?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
There's really no special trick to get the oring seated, just pop it in & screwing the bottle on will seat it. If yours buckles it may have become swollen from your juice. Any local hardware store or plumbing store will have the size you need.

The sizes are listed in post #2 here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...asurements-parts-terminology.html#post2654863

The most common orings are made of Buna-N. You can use Viton orings which will resist juice better but chances are you may have to order them online unless you might have a local specialty repair shop like for hydraulics or scuba diving.

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
There's really no special trick to get the oring seated, just pop it in & screwing the bottle on will seat it. If yours buckles it may have become swollen from your juice. Any local hardware store or plumbing store will have the size you need.

The sizes are listed in post #2 here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...asurements-parts-terminology.html#post2654863

The most common orings are made of Buna-N. You can use Viton orings which will resist juice better but chances are you may have to order them online unless you might have a local specialty repair shop like for hydraulics or scuba diving.

Well that would suck. I have less than 12ml through this o-ring since I got this back from Rob for a rebuild. I guess I will get online and buy a bag of the Viton rings.

In other news, this makes me wonder if the juice I am using is categorically destroying the juice systems across my vape gear. I have never heard of juices causing o-rings to swell, but I have been having problems with the rings on my carto tanks (the interior ones that seal against the carto) and the rings on my drip tips doing the same thing seemingly. 90% of the time I vape Grenada and Pluid, which are unkind to plastic tanks. This leads me to believe that my preferred juices are also wrecking havoc on my o-rings... If that is true, I fear that this PITA is going to follow me around unless I switch juices.

Thanks for the heads up at any rate. C

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
You can try a couple of things.

Wash the o-ring and let it sit out and dry for a day. Sometimes they will shrink back to regular size.

Put the o-ring below the threads on the bottle.

Robert does sell the rings.

I will give that a shot. Yeah I just got this back from Rob with a fresh ring. Just didn't think I would be replacing it so soon. All good. O-rings are cheap.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
The first thing I thought of when I read your post- I bet he's vaping Pluid. I've had it swell orings too. I think it's the citrus oils in it causing the problems. I have a Reo dedicated to it and I use the RM2 with it because the cap screws on rather than held on with orings. Haven't had trouble with the bottle oring yet but I expect to.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Here is what you can do.

Get the dripper top that snaps into the bottle. Drill a hole through the top for the tubing. Put your tubing direct through the dripper top. Snap it into the bottle.

Robert has suggested this for people who use juices that destroy o-rings on a regular basis.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
All the suggestions are good ones and work for them but never me mostly because Im lame. My juice swells orings and they can never be just be put back in no matter what trick you use or how skillful. Solutions for me were get new orings (nope still too hard for me) get new tube and cap which worked and was easier but the easiest solution (im always looking for the easiest) was to just get the caps and slide the funky one off the tube and slide the new one on......eezy peezy.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
You might also try silicone o-rings, they are all cheap and heat is not really an issue on the bottle - rather the chemicals in your juice are destroying it. Buna (or nitrile) and neoprene will swell when compromised, Viton is great for high temperatures and aggressive chemicals, but silicone is more inert, extremely flexible for a good seal and what i have chosen to use.

You can also get FDA approved silicone rings, which are a translucent colour in case you are worried about the colour leaching out. Since you use USP grade liquid - food approved silicone would seem a logical choice to me.

T

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
Here is what you can do.

Get the dripper top that snaps into the bottle. Drill a hole through the top for the tubing. Put your tubing direct through the dripper top. Snap it into the bottle.

Robert has suggested this for people who use juices that destroy o-rings on a regular basis.

Interesting. I will have to give this a shot when I get access to a drill. I'm out in the oil field for 5 weeks at a time. When I get home I will get on this. I should have my Grand by then and can do all of the bottles at once.

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
I bought extra bottles and o-rings and put them under the threads on the bottle, did this over 2 years ago and works like a charm, one of the best tips I ever got. I used to have problems like you but not for last 2 years, works great. Good Luck.

So you put the ring at the base of the neck of the bottle, below the threads? Since I am out in the boonies right now and don't have a small drill, this might be a good fix in the meantime. Thanks.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
So you put the ring at the base of the neck of the bottle, below the threads? Since I am out in the boonies right now and don't have a small drill, this might be a good fix in the meantime. Thanks.

Yep. That might do it for you for now. I wouldn't suggest taking a pocket knife to the dripper top and reaming out the hole unless you had a few spares.

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
I bought extra bottles and o-rings and put them under the threads on the bottle, did this over 2 years ago and works like a charm, one of the best tips I ever got. I used to have problems like you but not for last 2 years, works great. Good Luck.

Just reporting that this works perfectly and my mini is once again hitting like a champ. Thanks for the tip.

In other news, I am looking at Grands on Rob's site as I type. The one I was looking for is actually in stock right now. Killing me... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread