• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Book Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

salliezoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
(Big Island) Hawaii
Reading a great book & wanted to recommend it (no, not THAT book:nun:).

Title: "What Do You Do With a Chocolate Jesus" by Thomas Quinn. Truly lol funny. After exhausting most of the serious takes on the topic (Harris, Dawkins, etal) it was refreshing to enjoy a little comic relief. You won't be disappointed.

If anyone else has read it, I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

Other recommendations? Humorous or educational. Always looking for some good reads.

So come out from under your rocks & say a few words. I'll be here... vaping away. :vapor:

BCB

ECF Veteran
My HIGHEST recommendation is by Christopher Moore and it's entitled "Lamb," subtitled "The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal." Absolutely hysterical. My favorite is Mary, always walking around town in her blue shawl, bragging about her "perfect" son. Also, when Jesus misbehaves as a child and Joseph tries to discipline him, Jesus says "I don't have to do what you say--you're not my DAD!"

salliezoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
(Big Island) Hawaii
I'm heading to Amazon myself. Thanks all, I needed some new material. Not a whole lot to do in Hawaii once the sun goes down LOL. Other recommendations:

"God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens (have a dictionary handy, a prolific wordmeister)

"The End of Faith" by Sam Harris (most of you probably already have this on your shelf already, but if you don't get it)

"God The Failed Hypothesis: How Science Shows That God does not Exist" by Victor J. Stenger (Not a page-turner, but definitely worth the effort. A different take than Dawkins, physics rather than biological approach. Apparently, I was sleeping during college physics class...so it was a tough go for me. But what I did get out of it was amazing.

...and last but not least, "The Atheist Camel Chronicles" by the Dromedary Hump. At absolute knee-slapping, wet-your-pants funny read. (I recommend reading the "Hump" between chapters of Stenger's book for a brain rest). He also has a website and you can sign up for his email list. I've been getting them for about a year and love his commentary on current events and/or just his occasional rants. They don't come out often, but when they do...reading them will make your day. :lol::lol::lol:

salliezoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
(Big Island) Hawaii
More on the serious side, but nevertheless a classic (and a major inspiration in my teenage years): Why I Am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell. And as I posted on the "other" page, Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Hilarious. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Aloha Tristessa...I did order Good Omens, but Amazon sure took their sweet time getting it shipped to me. So don't have it yet. Sure hope it comes soon as I'm getting low on reading material LOL! I'll take a look at Bertrand's book too. Thanks for the head's up on that one. If you end up reading Atheist Camel, let me know what you think. Curious to see your take on it...:vapor:Happy vaping!

tristessa363

May 18, 2010
Houston, TX
Aloha Sallie - I have ordered from Amazon and an e-liquid vendor on the same day... I got my juice the same day as I got my ship notice from Amazon. They are not the quickest, but their selection is pretty awesome. I looked at the Atheist Camel website, and it looks like a fun read. I will definitely check it out. Here's a link to Bertrand's "Celestial Teapot" argument on Rationalwiki:
Russell's Teapot - RationalWiki
This will also allow you to navigate to a page that instructs you to make the perfect cup of tea, with George Orwell's blessings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread