Blood pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
No. California, CA US
I was a pack a day smoker for 38 years and my blood pressure was on the high side. I've been vaping, a lot, for the past three weeks (no analogs/quit cold turkey with my PV), and my blood pressure is perfect now. Surprised me since nicotine will actually cause many people's blood pressure to rise.
Is anyone else taking note of their blood pressure?

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I was a pack a day smoker for 38 years and my blood pressure was on the high side. I've been vaping, a lot, for the past three weeks (no analogs/quit cold turkey with my PV), and my blood pressure is perfect now. Surprised me since nicotine will actually cause many people's blood pressure to rise.
Is anyone else taking note of their blood pressure?

My blood pressure was always rock solid and stayed the same after I moved to vaping.

However, my oxygen absorption rate has gone to near 100%.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Keeping a close eye on my B/P as I too have hypertension and am on 2 different meds for it. So far, so good and I've even noticed my B/P starting to edge downwards the past couple of days as well. Hoping to one day in the future be able to come off of the meds completely, though I expect I will still need to lose some weight before I start seeing that day.

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
I smoked 3 packs a day for over 38 yrs...and shortly before I started ecigs(reason I started actually) my BP was 194/114..my doc told me..no surgery for you till you get your BP down.

I've now hit 90 days smoke free..and down to 18mg nic juice too and my BP is 167/73..which is still not perfect but radically better than it was. I think once I lose the 40+ lbs I gained while quitting, it will be back to normal BP again.

I'm quite happy with the results so far!!

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
And how do you get your oxygen absorption rate tested?
You buy an oximeter , its one of the best tools to get a smoker to see the damage they are doing .If you want to preach or play.I did it to myself over someone who never smoked and it woke me up quick.I thought my health was much better than theirs by a long shot.Cheap pulse oximeter is less that a hundred for sure.

Twilight

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
No. California, CA US
I smoked 3 packs a day for over 38 yrs...and shortly before I started ecigs(reason I started actually) my BP was 194/114..my doc told me..no surgery for you till you get your BP down.

I've now hit 90 days smoke free..and down to 18mg nic juice too and my BP is 167/73..which is still not perfect but radically better than it was. I think once I lose the 40+ lbs I gained while quitting, it will be back to normal BP again.

I'm quite happy with the results so far!!

Excellent...you are headed in the right direction. Congrats!

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Now that has me curious. What was it before cozzi?

If I remember I was measured at 96 or 98. The first measurement was done out of the doctors office at a friends when I was a heavy smoker. The second in the office after I stopped and was vaping.

My Dr. made positive mention of it.

Hillshire_Farms

Verified Member
Jul 13, 2010
A, A
I don't have any proof of it, but before I quit smoking I had symptoms of high blood pressure. Dizziness, ringing of the ears, headaches, etc.. I switched to vaping almost 7 weeks ago and have noticed the symptoms have gone away almost entirely. I think I should be good to go after I lose a little weight. I think I will go get my BP checked and see.

texastumbleweed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2008
DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!
regarding the discussion within this thread about pulse oximetry.....i probably wouldnt recommend investing in one. if your respiratory status has decompensated from long term cigarette smoking, to the point where you pulse oximetry readings are significantly lower than that of healthy lungs, when you quit smoking, it may be a very gradual slow increase back to good oxygen saturation levels.it takes a while for the return of healthy lung tissue and good air flow into bronchioles and alveoli,, for the ventilation to perfusion ratio to significantly improve. it's not like blood pressure monitoring, where you start taking an antihypertensive and/or diuretic, and quickly notice changes in BP.
just check your oxygen saturation levels when you go to your primary care provider!
i smoked for 27 years, 1-1.5 packs a day, and quit three weeks ago. my oxygen saturation levels were consistently 98-100% even as a smoker.
disclaimer: i am not a physician and am not giving medical advice. always consult your primary care provider. i am a health care professional however and these are just my thoughts.

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
off topic
Just checked after 8 months and a couple days of no smokes and got a 98% on the oximeter when it was about a 96 % in december.Its not a fast recovery for sure but it will tell you were you stand.The cms-50d goes for less than 50 on the amazon.

Bought mine to study sleep disorders, you can tape it to your finger and record your overnight drops to see tendancy for sleep problems(look up if interested).
In a perfect world the doctors office would be the best place to go for all medical things that come up.Heck walmart sells a pair of metal tooth picking tools with a lighted mouth mirror for under 10 bucks now, that scares me a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread