• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Bird dodo--solution!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Edit: See post #7 for solution

Totally not about our pets, but does anyone have any good ideas on how to keep birds away from a pool?
A couple years ago, we were in a draught and now they think it’s a big bird bath and the bird dodo is getting really bad!!!:shock:
The hooting owl does okay but I need something a whole lot better.

All suggestions appreciated!!!!!!!

Last edited:

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
Hilarious way to prevent birds from crapping into your pool

I don't know how efficient this would be but it's kidda fun to watch. I have also heard that hanging CDs or just placing them around the rim, works because the birds can't stand the constantly changing light patterns.

It was so funny yesterday. I was at a pretty large pool party and just before dark a bat decided to come and play. It was so funny watching everyone diving for cover or falling off their inflatables this went on for about 15 minuets. People were splashing it left and right and it just kept coming back for more.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I found a solution. Actually it was an accidental find.
We had the pool for about 10 years. When we originally opened it up, we used chlorine. A couple years later we switch to a pool salt system, but three years ago it broke so we went back to chlorine.
The first season, I could still taste the salt in the water when I got a little on my lips. The next season, hardly at all.
I didn't think about it but that was about the time the bird droppings on the solar cover started. Last year was pretty bad, but this year it's just outrageous and summer is just getting started.
After getting in the first time this year, I decided to put some pool salt in the water even though we're doing the chlorine because it's sooo nice on the skin.
Well I did that a little over a week ago, and no more bird dropping on the solar cover!!! With the salt, it dries and leaves a thin layer of salt on the cover and it probably does the same thing to the birds and they don't like it.:)
It's an above ground pool with a little fence around the top and I still get it there, but even that has decreased.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
It's great that I'm not having to deal with the birds----their leavings can carry all sorts of nasty stuff.

I forgot about the Fourth Of July though. A LOT of people do individual fireworks near me. Then there is the big event. The day after is awful. You wouldn't believe the stuff in the water!!!
My son and I got in and walked the Snake and the Vacuum around for about an hour to pick up the little bits of debris. I'll have to do the same tomorrow.
Most of the people making this pollution are none smokers. A couple are very vocal antis. Smoke from a cigarette is child's play compared to what they breath in in just one night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread