Bikes, Bikes, BIKES! who all here gave up there car for a bike or just rides for fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fr34k5h0w

Apr 24, 2010
washington
Just wondering if there are other avid cyclists here, I have been car free for most of my adult life, I have had cars but just ended up selling them because I never used them, my bike got all the love while the poor lil rx7 just hung its head in shame in the corner of the parking lot..lol. for some reason I just feel free with the wind in my face and working under my own power insted of taking the lazy way out. I also feel safer on a bike knowing I can maneuver better out of a jam and able to go places a car can't. I even got several speeding tickets on a bike..lol. people tell me I should race but I'm just not into competition, but I love the thrill of high speed on 2 wheels, especially when its my own power on it insted of a motor. I had a motorcycle once too but it ended up in the same lonely corner as my car. So.. lets all discuss our bike and the jurneys they have taken us on and what you all prefer in a bike, I like high speed, light road bikes for serious speed(when the cops arnt out) and heave cruisers when I want push it hard up hills for building strength. I currently only have one bike, an ultralight speed racer from the late 80's with a few upgrades, soon to be stripped of its derailers for a IGH system, probably a nexus a 8 or 11 speed. No matter what I do I can never seem to get that damn derailer adjusted rite. A rattling misaligned derailer is so annoying. I had a bike with nexus 8 speed IGH system, put it thru streight hell for 2 years, zero maintanence, it remained perfect, then I loaned it to a friend and he got it stolen, learned a hard lesson on that one. I have had everything from mountain bikes, bmx, touring bikes, recumbent bikes(those are a blast! Especially the tadpole trikes, you can drift those around corners at high speed, serious fun!) And a few beach cruisers. So lets all let the journey begin. Your favorite bike, best ride, or worst maintanence woes, I can give advice on maintanence too. Speaking of which, I got to go wrench up my feances bike, brakes suck and she bent a rim.. :/ Hers is an old dutch 3 speed. Built like a tank but has some pretty crappy components that constantly need wrenching.. I will get here a nice high end bike soon though.

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
I am an ex-bmx racer and never owned a car in my life, I have owned close to 30 bikes in my life and the only one I now have is my precious Specialized PStreet. I love racing but also love freeriding/urban assault. My bike is a tank and has been put through hell and back.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTgtMjAxMDA1MDEtMTkyOS5qcGc-2.jpg

They discontinued the PStreet in 06 I believe and the geometry is very unique to the point that you are very limited to what type of fork you can use. Mine is an 04 model and I have had it for 6 years, the rims and pedals are new since they had to be replaced from an accident. Other then that everything else is stock and I believe it weighs around 25lbs.

I plan on getting whole new beefier rims, new handlebars, new gyro, new grips, new brakes/lever, front disc brake, new chain, new sprocket, new ball bearings, new front suspension and etc...pretty much I hope to put in close to $1,000 in new parts to make it a lil more heavy.

My motto: Ride Hard or Ride Home

When I lived in the cities I would ride between 40-80 miles a day and would be a 12-24 riding session, my bike isn't meant for the type of riding I do but I don't care...I love riding.

Last edited:

Fr34k5h0w

Apr 24, 2010
washington
I used to be into the MTB scene, but now for me its just pavement, skinny tires and insane rediculas SPEED. Can do 45Mph all day long on flat level road if I want. Man.. id hate to have a front blowout at that speed :/.. My current ride is a '87 Centurion LeMans built up with higher gearing and bullhorn track bars.. Soon I'm getting a Shimano Alfine 8sp IGH system and ditching the damn fiddly funky dingle drive. Never liked derailers.. too much trouble and unreliable. Going to run it 52 up front and 16 on the IGH.. Now that's some fast gearing. Was never into BMX. Those bikes are too small for me and too slow due to small wheels and low gearing. Although I wonder what a bmx would be like with a good IGH on it. I'm going to be saving up for a recumbent bike though, had a couple of those and they are so cumfy to ride, and faster than my ultralight.

That's a nice bike Tripster. Looks cool and love the green paint job. That is weird looking geometry for a bmx. How do you upload a pic on here from an android? I got the mobile version of ecf and the link to the full site at the bottom wont let me get to it, just kicks me back to mobile ecf. I don't have a computer, just my droid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread