Bench Test Results: MXJO 20A 3500mAh 18650

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note my personal opinion for the ESTIMATED ratings for the batteries I tested at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This can be one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. Never use them outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous discharge rating (CDR), never let it get colder than 0°C or hotter than 60°C, and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Never use a battery that is physically damaged in any way.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

IMG_3755.jpeg IMG_3756.jpeg IMG_3757.jpeg IMG_3758.jpeg IMG_6229.jpeg

Test Results
    I last tested these about 6-1/2 years ago when they were rewrapped Sanyo NCR18650GA’s that MXJO exaggerated the ratings for. Many of the China wrapping/rewrapping companies have switched over to China-manufactured cells so it was time for a retest.

I couldn’t figure out what this five prong top contact cell is but MXJO’s 20A and 3500mAh ratings for it are bullsh*t.

At its 20A rating I had to stop the discharge early, when the cell reached my 100°C safety cutoff at about 2.85V. This is hot enough to boil water can start the process that leads to thermal runaway, resulting in a fire and bursting of the cell. This 20A rating is preposterous, even as just a “pulsed” rating (which you only find out if you visit the web site).

This MXJO’s 20A rating is dangerous since it’s on the front of the wrap and is the rating that’s used by most web sites selling this cell. This rating is also useless because MXJO doesn’t tell us how long this “pulse” can be or how often we can pulse the cell at this level. Since this cell quickly overheats at such a crazy current level this is important information.

On the bottom rear of the cell is tiny printing that says “10A CDC”. You have to go to their web site to find out that CDC means they have given it a 10A Continuous Discharge Current rating. But no one visits the web site and many never notice the CDC rating on the back of the wrap or even know what “CDC” means.

To be fair, the 10A rating seems reasonable. I recommend staying below that to reduce risk and help extend overall cell life.

The 3500mAh capacity rating is a lie though. The two cells I tested delivered 3317mAh and 3340mAh. Since I cannot have the lowest capacity cells in the batch I’m rating them at 3300mAh.

This cell outperforms some 3200mAh-3550mAh 18650’s but the 3000mAh Samsung 30Q and Murata VTC6 run for the same amount of time at 5A (15W) and for longer at higher current levels. The Molicel P26A almost equals this cell at 5A and beats it at higher levels. The Molicel P28A beats it all power levels.

This is a double-wrapped cell but both wraps are very thin and the two cells I tested measured 18.5mm x 65.0mm (or smaller).

The Murata VTC6, Samsung 30Q, and Molicel P26A perform the same or better and the Molicel P28A is better at all power levels. But if you don’t mind paying more money for a cell from a company that fakes their ratings then this cell could be worth considering for use at up to about 5A-7A (about 15W-21W) to reduce voltage sag and extend cell life. For me personally, it’s not worth using even for free.

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    MXJO Cyan 20A 3500mAh 18650 CC Tests.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    IMG_6231.jpeg

18650 Ratings and E-Scores Table:

20700/21700 Ratings and E-Scores Table:

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: Links To All 21700, 26650, 18350, 18500 Battery Tests

Users who are viewing this thread