Bench Test Results: BAK H18650CAP - 30A 2050mAh 18650

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note my personal opinion for the ESTIMATED ratings for the batteries I tested at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This can be one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. Never use them outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous discharge rating (CDR), never let it get colder than 0°C or hotter than 60°C, and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Never use a battery that is physically damaged in any way.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

IMG_3805.jpeg IMG_3806.jpeg IMG_3808.jpeg IMG_3809.jpeg IMG_3810.jpeg

Test Results
    I was hoping the BAK H18650CAP was going to be a decent low-cost competitor for the Samsung 20S or EVE 20P but it wasn’t even close.

Flashlight enthusiasts and “mechanical” mod vapers look for the “hardest hitting” 18650’s they can buy since they provide higher power (due to running a a higher voltage) in a small size. The Samsung 20S and EVE 20P are great examples of cells like this. They can’t run for long at high power levels but for a short period of time they can hold their voltages higher than almost every other 18650.

But the BAK H18650CAP ran for 32% less time at 20A and 65% less time at 30A, compared to those other two cells.

The BAK is rated at 30A “max continuous discharge current” but this is clearly a non-continuous, temperature-limited rating (for things like power tools and electric vacuum cleaners) since this cell was almost hot enough to boil water at 30A. The datasheet lists a 75°C max cell temperature spec so that makes it about an 18A cell. I recommend staying below 18A to reduce voltage sag and help to extend cell life.

The two cells I tested delivered 2100mAh and 2109mAh. This is fantastic consistency and meets this cell’s minimum/typical spec of 2000mAh/2050mAh.

BAK has some great cells but I can’t recommend this one for any use. Its capacity is low and its current handling ability is even lower than a 20A-rated cell (which would probably have greater capacity).

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    BAK H18650CAP - 30A 2050mAh 18650 CC Tests.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    IMG_6468.jpeg

18650 Ratings and E-Scores Table:

20700/21700 Ratings and E-Scores Table:

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: Links To All 21700, 26650, 18350, 18500 Battery Tests

Users who are viewing this thread