Kelt.

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Hello all,
    pulled out my daedalus to build a couple fused claptons today, no big deal,
    I miss hand turning claptons, but hate holding the drill (hence the daedalus)

My mind got to churning, and it seemed entirely feasible to have a dedicated mounted motor with a chuck on the shaft, and a foot pedal speed control.
    Off down the rabbit hole I went and came back with results in the multiple hundreds of dollars... motors for musical instrument repair, dentist and jewelers' flex shaft motors, but nothing that really fit the idea, or the budget.
    Power builders, what do you use on your bench?

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Maybe?

Amazon
    Capture.PNG

cheers
    I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I gave up on Claptons and use mesh now. My only required tool is a pair of scissors.

Variable voltage foot switches exist for 110v. Or they used to.

The cheapest macguyver option might be to throw the drill in a bench vise and use an old automotive trunk release cable attached to the trigger of the drill and some sort of foot treadle. There wouldn’t be much throw to it unless you made some sort of reduction lever as well.

There is also this instructable that google found. I don’t attest to its quality.

Kelt.

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Apr 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    @Kelt., you could possibly Macgyver something together.
    Yes, I could, I already have a dedicated Daedalus "station" ... (ok, so it's a well-planed, smoothed and polished bed board, with a hard mounted swivel at one end)
    I want the freehand/ foot operated setup to be basically the same. Take it off the storage hook, set it on the bench, plug it in and get busy.

I gave up on Claptons and use mesh now. My only required tool is a pair of scissors.

Variable voltage foot switches exist for 110v. Or they used to.

The cheapest macguyver option might be to throw the drill in a bench vise and use an old automotive trunk release cable attached to the trigger of the drill and some sort of foot treadle. There wouldn’t be much throw to it unless you made some sort of reduction lever as well.

There is also this instructable that google found. I don’t attest to its quality.

Yes, yes they do, most of the ones I saw were for sewing machines, <lightbulb>

Yeah, no, not clamping up a drill
    I've been there, tried that. Also see above :)

I'd definitely try re-purposing a sewing machine motor/foot pedal setup though.
    Thanks for the suggestions !

Reactions: Mordacai

Kelt.

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Apr 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Sounds like an Ebay trawl for a decent but extremely cheap older sewing machine is in order @Kelt..
    I'm pretty sure there's a very old one moldering away in the "shed that time forgot" If not, there are several pedal and motor kits on Ebay... I'll just have to find out if I can make one go in reverse as well as forward and still have the footswitch operate as expected.
    Game on!

Scott McMahon

Oct 13, 2019
    I bought a lathe like the one at the top of this thread. I mounted high speed bearings with a clevis pin at the end opposite the chuck.
    The issue i found was the lathe motor is a high speed motor running at around 14,000rpm and cant be properly governed with a pulse width modulator (PWM).
    I nearly scrapped the idea until i found a brushless motor on ebay that has a gearbox dropping the speed down to 1000rpm and increasing the torque.
    I'm in the process of mounting it all on a platform that will extend from 30cm to 1m in length. 1000rpm may be a bit slow so I've bought another motor/gearbox rated at up to 1500rpm which is what my drill runs at.
    I think a footswitch for a sewing machine may be for AC motors, where the motors I'm using are 12v DC so a PWM is better to control the speed & direction for my setup. I can slow it down to 5rpm if needed.
    Once I get it all set up I'll post some pics to give a better idea.

Sent from my SM-T595 using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread