Battery venting Aegis is it safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So can they be put out or not? My understanding was that they couldn’t.

Aqueous firefighting solutions and water can quickly lower the cell temperature below the thermal runaway threshold, stopping the reactions and putting it out.

Lithium-metal battery fires? I don’t know what’s used for that.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    I would love a removable li-po pack or the option of charging (if only I had a li-po charger):rolleyes:
    There has been mods where you could swap lipos in and out and charge externally. The Hotcig DX200 (it uses a DNA200) was one of them for example. I have 4 of them with 14 lipos and I use a lipo charger.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Aqueous firefighting solutions and water can quickly lower the cell temperature below the thermal runaway threshold, stopping the reactions and putting it out.

Lithium-metal battery fires? I don’t know what’s used for that.
    My understanding is nothing. It’s why the term “road flare” is used. Road flares use magnesium or aluminum with strontium for color. Metal fires are self oxidizing. They can burn underwater. If they can be put out with water, or anything else basically, it’s a regular fire not a metal fire. Good to know. I heard the term “road flare” referring to fires in electric motorcycles. Seems that’s a major myth that needs busting.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    My understanding is nothing. It’s why the term “road flare” is used. Road flares use magnesium or aluminum with strontium for color. Metal fires are self oxidizing. They can burn underwater. If they can be put out with water, or anything else basically, it’s a regular fire not a metal fire. Good to know. I heard the term “road flare” referring to fires in electric motorcycles. Seems that’s a major myth that needs busting.
    That is what Class D fire extinguishers are for, putting out metal fires.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Types of Fire Extinguishers – The Fire Equipment Manufacturers’ Association
    Describes class D fires. I didn’t think they could be put out at all. New tech maybe?
    LiIon fire extinguisher
    Describes a special lithium battery fire extinguisher. Everything is in Swedish though so I haven’t any idea what class it is
    Did you read it?

Dry Powder

Dry Powder extinguishers are similar to dry chemical except that they extinguish the fire by separating the fuel from the oxygen element or by removing the heat element of the fire triangle.

However, dry powder extinguishers are for Class D or combustible metal fires, only. They are ineffective on all other classes of fires.​

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Did you read it?

Dry Powder

Dry Powder extinguishers are similar to dry chemical except that they extinguish the fire by separating the fuel from the oxygen element or by removing the heat element of the fire triangle.

However, dry powder extinguishers are for Class D or combustible metal fires, only. They are ineffective on all other classes of fires.​
    Yep. I also read this
    History of Fire Extinguishers : Firesafe.org.uk Which describes why metal fires are so hard to put out. The fire is so hot it turns the water into oxyhydrogen, which simply makes things worse. Class D fire extinguishers apparently contain specially anhydrous powders designed to smother the fire without making stuff worse. I was curious as to how old class D is because my info is apparently out of date.

This means the Swedish lithium battery fire extinguisher is some sort of marketing gimmick.

Last edited:

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA
    There has been mods where you could swap lipos in and out and charge externally. The Hotcig DX200 (it uses a DNA200) was one of them for example. I have 4 of them with 14 lipos and I use a lipo charger.
    Can you recommend a decent lipo charger? And thank you. I didn't know about the Hotcig.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Hi muth. Sorry, I haven't kept up with lipo chargers in years. But there are lots of youtube videos on them. The RC (radio control) crowd are probably the largest group using them.

Hotcig DX200 were like 150 bucks when they first came out and they didn't sell well at that price. Then between June to August 2016, there was a huge sell off of them since Hotcig was making room for their newest mods. And you could often find one for just over 50 bucks. I wish there were more mods like this. :)

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread