Battery question,stacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks
I have been reading about battery stacking and see it is not recommended.I fly R/C air planes and we have up to 6 cell lipo battery's pulling 70 amps with out an issue (when used properly). Is stacking a problem because of the high rate of draw?I see battery's rated at 35 amps stacking would increase the capacity a larger battery at the same voltage,Correct?
Please a little more info.I rather ask then do something stupid.
At 56 I have done more then my share of stupid.:p
Thanks

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Rather than go into any real detailed opinion, I'll just say that some people are stacking batteries. I'm not one of them. Too many variables for my comfort.
As for stacking them in R/C planes.... that thing isn't in my hand or pressed up against my face... so if it blows up, no real harm done... that's my two cents...

That being said, there are quite a few regulated box mods out now that are using multiple batteries. I'm a bit less skeptical of those setups than I am of stacking batteries in a mechanical mod... but again, that's just my opinion. I realize that you are likely an intelligent person and understand electronics theory/principle, and I won't try to insult your intelligence... at least you're asking a legitimate question. There are a lot of guys that are stacking batteries that do it with no regard to the nuances required to do so in a safe manner, and that is why it is so frowned upon.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
LOL... I suppose that you could build a mod, rig it to a lightning rod with a capacitor in between so the charge would hold... get one quick, awesome vape and scream "It's Alive!!" as you exhale one great big, giant plume of vape with your last breath... they could etch Frankenmod on the tombstone... :lol:

Sorry... I've got a twisted sense of humor sometimes.... :p

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
Your not stacking as such with RCs but using a battery pack made from multiple cells. It's not quite the same, the issues with stacking are that they don't drain equally and you need to be more careful, this has a lot to do with the fact that we are using batteries much closer to their amp limit than you do with an RC. I think though that the risks involved in stacking are slightly exaggerated, but it's far safer to be on the cautious side because you can do a lot of damage if you get it wrong.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I see battery's rated at 35 amps stacking would increase the capacity a larger battery at the same voltage,Correct?

No, it would be double the voltage. Two batteries fully charged to 4.2 volts would be 8.4 volts when stacked. Excuse me if I'm not understanding your question correctly.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread