Battery question ?? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdfield

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Mass
Hello , I recived my mini provari a few of days ago and my question is
I charged the 18350 aw batterys till full charge when i do a battery check the provari
gives a reading of 3.8 with the atty on with the atty off it was 4.1 i thought a fully charged battery was supposed to be
at 4.2 can some explain this or is my provari in need of repair again its brand new Ive only had it like 2 days
thanks for the info

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
batteries are optimally charged to 4.2 volts. That does not mean the battery maintains 4.2 volts at rest after the charge cycle is complete. batteries will drop voltage after charging, the older the battery is the more it will drop.

That, and the electronics of the Provari put a load on the battery when it is checked with no atomizer in place. And the Provari reads the voltage of the battery with the load of the atomizer in place (in circuit) when you do a battery check. On a practical level that gives you a more realistic view of the "real" working battery voltage available.

mrdfield

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Mass
I am on my way to get a couple of new battery's i will check back after I charge them up the battery I got was thru the provape site I got it when I ordered my provari mini so I'm guessing that it's not a old battery but thanks for the info and I will reply back with the new battery's and see what the readings are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
The replies you received tell you that the Provari, when you select Cb from the options, shows the battery charge at rest AND under load. No other PV I know of does that. If you listen closely you will hear the topper fire which means the battery is testing "under load". So you get two readings: one at rest and one under load.

ETA: You don't need to take the topper off to check the battery. The option after "Cb" will check the Ω of the topper.

Last edited:

mrdfield

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Mass
Hi I'm not sure what you meant by the option to check the ohms I understand that 13 clicks checks the resistance of the atty maybe I should clarify a bit better . When I check the battery after it has been fully charged with the atty on I am getting a 3.8 reading I was under the impression that 4.2 is a full charge . When I remove the atty I got a reading on the battery check of 4.1 still under the supposed full charge of 4.2 these are brand new aw imr 18350 battery's So I'm just wondering is this a issue with the provari which is two days old and if it is do I need to return it or is this normal readings for a fully charged battery
Thank you for all the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
OK this is my last shot. There is nothing wrong with the Provari or the batteries assuming they have been charged and are inserted in the Provari correctly. Have you read the user's manual? The fire button on the side that the window is NOT on is also the "options" button. So while you're doing that I will finish this post.

5 clicks of the fire button will bring you to the first "option" which is to increase your voltage. After reading the instructions you will understand the rest of the options.

Provari has a unique feature that allows you to test your battery UNDER LOAD which means with the fire button pushed. The first number you see with "Cb" is the battery at rest. Then without pushing the fire button again you will hear the battery fire which puts the battery under load. (See above).

If you do not have a digital multimeter you need to get one. They come in quite handy when you have questions about battery charge or topper resistance.

Last edited:

COHgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2012
Kansas
Provari has a unique feature that allows you to test your battery UNDER LOAD which means with the fire button pushed. The first number you see with "Cb" is the battery at rest. Then without pushing the fire button again you will hear the battery fire which puts the battery under load. (See above).

I learned something new today! I always wondered why I would see 2 numbers when I checked the battery. Now I get it, at rest and under load.
Thanks!

BadTrainDriver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
Dublin, Ohio
OP, also keep in mind, the Provari only reads in 10ths of a volt.
When you fully charge your battery to 4.2 volts, it will quickly fall to 4.19 or lower.
Now, when you insert it in the Provari, all it's going to show is 4.1, not 4.19. It doesn't round up.
Same as checking the battery under load...it could be an actual 3.89, but will only read 3.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread