Battery Charging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardeagold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Maryland
I have several new kits (untouched by human hands LOL), and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and charge the batteries, or leave them alone until I'm ready to use them. Will they die faster forever if they've never been charged (I suppose there's some charge on them from the manufacturer), or if they've been charged and left to sit?

Plus, do ALL batteries need that 8 hr charge, 20 mins vape, then and additional one hour charge to "set" them? Or is it only for the smaller batteries like the Joye 510's?

Thanks for any thoughts!

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
I have several new kits (untouched by human hands LOL), and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and charge the batteries, or leave them alone until I'm ready to use them. Will they die faster forever if they've never been charged (I suppose there's some charge on them from the manufacturer), or if they've been charged and left to sit?

Plus, do ALL batteries need that 8 hr charge, 20 mins vape, then and additional one hour charge to "set" them? Or is it only for the smaller batteries like the Joye 510's?

Thanks for any thoughts!

I have a Joye 510 and I'm curious about this "setting" or training of batteries. I looked on the battery university but couldn't find any info on this. Any advise or resources on how to "train" a 510 battery?

Ardeagold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Maryland
I actually got a notification in both of the kits for my Joye 510's to train them that way. Got them from different places, too. That notice isn't in any of the Riva kits, nor in the eGO USB Passthru info (which makes sense for that one). So I did it. (I have spare batteries too, and also trained them). Have no idea whether or not I needed to.

But what I'd really like to know is how long can I let a battery "sit" before charging it? Should I charge then let it sit, or just leave it alone until I'm ready.

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
I actually got a notification in both of the kits for my Joye 510's to train them that way. Got them from different places, too. That notice isn't in any of the Riva kits, nor in the eGO USB Passthru info (which makes sense for that one). So I did it. (I have spare batteries too, and also trained them). Have no idea whether or not I needed to.

But what I'd really like to know is how long can I let a battery "sit" before charging it? Should I charge then let it sit, or just leave it alone until I'm ready.

I'm not sure about your question andrea but can you possibly transcribe what the instructions told you to do to "train" the batteries?

Ardeagold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Maryland
Not worried about training the batteries. I did what the instructions said in the Joye 510 kits (added on a piece of paper (typed) by vendors..not part of the formal instructions) They're fine!

My question is about batteries that I've never charged. In brand NEW kits. Two of which I've won, and two I've bought. I don't need to use them now, so should I just let them sit....or charge them and then let them sit?

I won't be using them right away and wondered if it makes a difference for a battery to just sit without my charging them until I DO use them?

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
Not worried about training the batteries. I did what the instructions said in the Joye 510 kits (added on a piece of paper (typed) by vendors..not part of the formal instructions) They're fine!

My question is about batteries that I've never charged. In brand NEW kits. Two of which I've won, and two I've bought. I don't need to use them now, so should I just let them sit....or charge them and then let them sit?

I won't be using them right away and wondered if it makes a difference for a battery to just sit without my charging them until I DO use them?

lol... I know YOUR not worried about training the batteries but I am o_O I was asking for my own use. I don't know the answer to your question or I would help. If you could help me by transcribing the instructions that told you how to "train" the joye 510 battery I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
OK, take this with a grain of salt since I'm not a battery expert either. What little I've picked up from ECF on li-ion stuff:

1) They ship with about 1/2 charge.
2) If they are completely discharged, they are ruined (at least, for all intents and purposes).
3) Charging them to full charge if not needed can degrade them faster, since "crystals" build up faster at full charge
4) Charging them is what wears them out, but if you don't charge em, you can't re-use em. Catch 22.
5) The charge will degrade over long periods.
6) They have no "memory"

So... how long do you intend to store them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread