Battery charger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfoster1

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Mississippi
I was trying to find a battery charger that would accomodate the different size batteries. There is the Sysmax i4 3.7V Intellicharge Battery Charger at CCV. Then there is the xtar wp6 2 6x at Discount vapers. THe one at discount vapers is 4.2V and the sysmax is a 3.7. Since all these batteries are 3.7 volts wouldn't you want the sysmax or is the xtar ok at 4.2 volts. Was trying to figure out which one is the best charger.
Thanks

SpringzVz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Colorado Springz, CO
I was trying to find a battery charger that would accomodate the different size batteries. There is the Sysmax i4 3.7V Intellicharge Battery Charger at CCV. Then there is the xtar wp6 2 6x at Discount vapers. THe one at discount vapers is 4.2V and the sysmax is a 3.7. Since all these batteries are 3.7 volts wouldn't you want the sysmax or is the xtar ok at 4.2 volts. Was trying to figure out which one is the best charger.
Thanks

This was pretty cool Review of / Measurement on Xtar WP6 II charger

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Descriptions can be a little confusing. Both of those chargers will work with 3.7v lithium-ion batteries. Our batteries come off the charger at 4.2v and the voltages falls as it is discharged. The nominal, or average, voltage throughout the discharge is 3.7v, hence the 3.7v designation.

If you don't have a need for more than 2 batteries on the charger at a time, then I recommend the Xtar WP2 II, or the Xtar SP2. Each of them has a dedicated charge circuit per slot. The WP6 shares 2 channels over 6 slots, and the Sysmax shares 2 over 4. Also with out selectable charge rate you may be forced to charge multiple cells at the same time just to divide the current between the two. If you only have 1 smaller batt to charge, 1200mA per channel on the WP6 would be too much for nearly everything smaller than an 18500, more specifically, any battery less than 1200mAh. Recommended charge rate is 50-70% of its capacity, greater than 100% can potentially become dangerous.

Rtdvapor has both the WP2 and SP2.
Battery Chargers

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Agree on the wp2 ii being quite nice, i have two. I set the switch to 500 ma per slot for smaller batteries, 1000 for high capacity 18650.

If you have short batteries, like 16340, pick up a second pair of spacers, about $1.

The wp2 ii has a very good charging profile, tiny trickle after full charge, very low discharge if power is disconnected (i use mine on a timer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread