Battery & Charger Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
I recently began using a bottom feeder mod (the Wetbox) and I have ordered an Ali'i from Kaji. As I began researching accessories (batteries, attys, etc.), I became aware of the issues posted all over this, and other, forums about battery explosions. I get the idea, and I "think" I'm good with the batteries I bought, but I am not sure if the CHARGER I bought is any good.

I bought the following, from Nhaler:

"TR-001 Multifunctional Charger: Our TrustFire/Tenergy TR-001 Multifunctional Charger will charge 10430, 10440, 14500, 16340 (CR123A), 17670 and 18650 3.7v rechargeable lithium-ion and LiMN IMR batteries in any configuration. It will charge both protected and unprotected cells, and features over voltage, over current and short circuit protection. A great convenient charger for most peoples needs."

This has been used for about a month with Nhaler-branded LiMn High Drain 14500 3.7V 600mah Batteries and UltraFire LC14500 900 mAh 3.6v Li-ion batteries.

I will also be charging AW IMR 18650 1600 mAh LiMn batteries and AW 18650 2600 mAh Li-ion batteries with it, for the Ali'i.

Am I going to be safe from having either of these mods exploding in my face with these batteries and using this charger, or am I setting myself up to have a time-bomb under my nose?

It's all a bit too technical for me. I just want to be as safe as possible.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Not you again here ACM, you're everywhere in every threads I'm interested in ! I swear I'm not stalking :)

I have the same TR-001 charger and will do exactly like that, using 14500 with it and will put 18500 in it, it seems it will be fine, it do says in the back of the charger that it will charge them.

I'm kind of bumping that thread because 2 days ago my TR-001 charger with trustfire protected 14500 batteries from dealextreme went in overheat and was making a sizzling noise, unplug the charger and replug the charger and it was fine, still fine today, was wondering if it ever happened to anybody else? I'm now scared of that charger and my batteries even if they are protected, ECF and their battery warnings doesn't help my cause!

p.s. Interesting to know, I just read another old thread from 2008 that says buy spare chargers since they can go dead anytime, which I will do : http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/1079-battery-charger-heating-up.html

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
Not you again here ACM, you're everywhere in every threads I'm interested in ! I swear I'm not stalking :)

I have the same TR-001 charger and will do exactly like that, using 14500 with it and will put 18500 in it, it seems it will be fine, it do says in the back of the charger that it will charge them.

I'm kind of bumping that thread because 2 days ago my TR-001 charger with trustfire protected 14500 batteries from dealextreme went in overheat and was making a sizzling noise, unplug the charger and replug the charger and it was fine, still fine today, was wondering if it ever happened to anybody else? I'm now scared of that charger and my batteries even if they are protected, ECF and their battery warnings doesn't help my cause!

p.s. Interesting to know, I just read another old thread from 2008 that says buy spare chargers since they can go dead anytime, which I will do : http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/1079-battery-charger-heating-up.html

Great minds think (or should I say, vape) alike, I guess!

I'd keep an eye on your charger, although I suspect the problem was the battery and not the charger. Regardless, I don't leave my charger unattended ever. I'll leave the room, of course, but I keep a pretty close eye on it. Partly because I don't want to forget to remove the batteries when they're done, but also because I just don't trust them 100% to NOT sizzle and burn up.

If you replace it and decide to go with another charger, let me know what you end up with.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
If you replace it and decide to go with another charger, let me know what you end up with.

I'm gonna buy a new TR-001 from dealextreme and some 18650, I'm gonna start preparing for my Ali'i, I should be good to order it in december. I'm still gonna keep my charger, still seems fine. I noticed it makes a really low buzzing sound but I just read some reviews on dealextreme and everyone's saying it's doing that, so it's normal. And like you said, I'll keep an eye on it everytime it charges !!

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
Mine buzzes, too, usually when I first plug it in, but not when charging. I bought a second one that I leave at work, so I can charge the battery I used the evening before. I've been rotating 4 batteries, and so far everything's good. I am happy with the TR-001, especially since it can also handle the 18650s that I'll be using with my Ali'i (which I was just informed is done, so I am waiting for a shipping notice.)

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread