Battery & Atty Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlew

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2012
WV, USA
jspcrepair.angelfire.com
I have built a couple of simple tools to test eGo batteries and Attys, both with 510 type threading.

My very first "Starter" kit came with a Vision "Stardust" Clearomizer and would keep burning the
wicks so I got Vision 2.0 Clearo's, which work much better. The kit also came with an 1100mah
eGo "Knock-off" batteries (the one with the Etched Dragon) and it quit working properly after only
a month, so I got joyetech eGo-C's and retired the "kit".

So, with parts laying around I really couldn't use, I decided today to build testing equipment.

By taking the center post out of the Vision "Stardust" Clearomizer and modifying it to connect
Multimeter Probes, I now have a decent Battery "Actual Voltage" tester and by using the head
from the "Dragon" battery, I have a way to test Atomizer and Clearomizer ohms.

Testers 01, Battery & Atomizer.jpg

Battery Tester

* 1 Vision "Stardust" Clearomizer (non-replaceable head type)
* 2 x 4pin Molex Connector Wires (1 red, 1 black) with Pin Connector
NOTE: 4pin Molex Connector Wires are for Computer PSU Connections. Aligator clips can be
used in place of these connectors.
* Solder and Soldering iron
* Tubing Cutter or Metal saw blade (to cut tubing)
* Emory board and fine "Metal" sand paper.
* Wire Shrink Tubing

1) Remove the center post from Vision "Stardust".
2) Remove the rubber head and wick and discard.
3) Remove the center pin, and gasket from post.
4) Cut the post-top (wick flanges) off, just below the wick gap and sand the top opening smooth.
5) Using the black wire, strip about 1 inch and wrap around the outside of the post near the bottom.
6) Sand the post area near the bottom so solder will stick.
7) Solder the black wire in place around the post bottom.
8) Using the red wire, strip about 1/8 inch, flux the wire for soldering, and push it into the center
pin from the top, about 1/2 inch.
9) Cut a 1/8 inch piece of solder and drop into the bottom hole pf the center pin.
10) Heat the center pin (I had to use a small "Pen Torch" for this because a light solder iron does not
heat the pin enough). This will melt the solder onto the inserted wire.
11) Put the red wire up through the post bottom and reseat the pin in place.
12) Replacce the pin gasket and cover the post with shrink tubing.
13) Cut about 1 1/4 inch Shrink Tubing and cover the connector ends (do not close the end holes).

Battery Tester in use:

Testers, Battery 01 (eGo-C Upgrade).jpg Testers, Battery 02 (eGo-C).jpg

:)

DISCLAIMER:

If you are not familiar with electrical components and/or working with electronic devices or are not comfortable with soldering,
Do Not attempt anything in this tutorial!
The information contained in this tutorial is for educational purposes only and if acted on, it is done so at the user's own risk.
I cannot and will not be held liable for damages, injury, or even death that may arise by following information herein.

Last edited:

jlew

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2012
WV, USA
jspcrepair.angelfire.com
Atomizer Tester

* 1 Head from an eGo type battery
* 2 x 4pin Molex Connector Wires (1 red, 1 black) with Pin Connector
NOTE: 4pin Molex Connector Wires are for Computer PSU Connections. Aligator clips can be
used in place of these connectors.
* Solder and Soldering iron.
Drill and 1/16" Steel bit
* Hot Glue and Hot Glue gun
* Emory board and fine "Metal" sand paper.
* Wire Shrink Tubing

1) Remove the head from an old eGo type battery (one that does not work is prefered)
Note: To remove this part, use a large eGo Cone that fits the outer threads and pull the head
off of the battery.
2) Remove the chip board (discard) and button (keep for later replacement).
3) Remove the center pin from the head unit.
Note: This is a very small pin with a tiny hole in the underside. Do Not lose this!
4) Using the drill, tap a small hole into the crease inside the head unit opposite the button hole.
This will be the area for the black ground wire to be soldered to.
5) Solder the black wire in place
6) Strip just a fraction of covering from the red wire and solder into the pin removed in step 2.
7) Replace the center pin with the wire sticking out of the bottom of the head unit.
8) Push the black wire down into the bottom of the head unit and cneter both wires.
9) Fill the bottom of the unit with Hot Glue and allow to cool.
10) Cut about 1 1/4 inch Shrink Tubing and cover the connector ends (do not close the end holes).

Atomizer Tester in use:

Testers, Atomizer 01 (Clearomizer).jpg Testers, Atomizer 02 (306LR 1.5ohm).jpg

:)

DISCLAIMER:

If you are not familiar with electrical components and/or working with electronic devices or are not comfortable with soldering,
Do Not attempt anything in this tutorial!
The information contained in this tutorial is for educational purposes only and if acted on, it is done so at the user's own risk.
I cannot and will not be held liable for damages, injury, or even death that may arise by following information herein.

Last edited:

ajventi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
New Jersey
I did something similar, but run it to a breadboard since I wanted to hook up my osilliscope and watch everything in actual use as well. Someday I'll get around to making it a bit more portable so I don't have to use it on my workbench.

One thing you'll find is that testing with no load vs the low resistance of an atty gives you quite different voltages. You don't get a good idea of what your atty actually sees unless you complete the circuit and watch the voltage in actual use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread