Ballin: Reconsidering and Revising Terminologies and Definitions to Adapt to a Changing Tobacco, Nicotine, and Alternative Products Regulatory Environ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Reconsidering and Revising Terminologies and Definitions to Adapt to a Changing tobacco, Nicotine, and Alternative Products Regulatory Environment

An Observational Piece

Scott D. Ballin, JD
Health Policy Consultant
6220 30th Street NW
Washington DC 20015
Tel: 202 686-8898
Email: ScDBa@aol.com
www.tobaccoatacrossroads.com

August 1, 2011

1. Introduction
2. What is a 'Tobacco Product'?
3. Who and What is the 'Tobacco Industry'?
4. Who and What is the 'Tobacco Control/Public Health' community?
5. What do we mean by 'Cessation' ?
6. What do we mean by 'Claims and health claims' ?
7. What is 'Harm Reduction' ?
8. Conclusions

1. Introduction:

Several months ago in an observational piece about the critical role that science will be playing in terms of tobacco, nicotine and alternative product regulation, I indicated that I was planning on doing something concerning the increasing confusion over the various uses of words and terms in the tobacco, nicotine and alternative products environment. As with the other observational pieces I have done, this piece is designed to make some observations, to generate further discussion, and to hopefully initiate some new thinking.
The FDA’s acquisition of regulatory authority over tobacco products (and it previous existing authorities over therapeutic nicotine replacement products), the importance of science in setting regulations, and the obvious fact that we are in a ‘new era’ of tobacco, nicotine and alternative product regulations, make it important at this juncture that we clearly define our terms and reconsider how we might best approach policy decisions in the coming months and years.

I have been in 'tobacco control' (I am not even entirely sure what that means in today's environment) for more than 30 years. In the early years it was relatively simple to use terms - it was a 'war' between two interests, good and evil. We in public health wore the white hats of course and the tobacco industry wore the black hats. The tobacco industry, later to be branded BIG TOBACCO, was relatively easy to define. We knew their deceitful and deceptive practices. We knew how extensive their influences were and the extent to which their money influenced decision- making. We knew that they worked hand in hand following well laid out strategies. We considered any one associated with tobacco, including tobacco farmers, retailers, advertisers etc. as a part of the tobacco industry. Today while these two extremes continue to exist there is a much larger 'gray' area that has emerged --- an area that often goes unrecognized by those who remain severely polarized and content on keeping the old ‘ tobacco wars’ of the 80's and 90's alive.

In the mid-1990's, through a project funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and managed by the Institute for Environmental Negotiation (IEN) at the University of Virginia that brought tobacco growers and the public health community together, I quickly learned and came to appreciate that things are not so black and white as they appear.

Much of the 'war' in the early years was focused on 'smoking', and companies manufacturing combustible products that contained thousands of chemical constituents, many of them known carcinogens and highly toxic. Cigarettes without question remain by far the most significant cause of harm (both for the individual and for the population as a whole) from the use of tobacco, far above and beyond the traditional 'smokeless' products but even more so in comparison with the growing number of extremely lower risk noncombustible tobacco, nicotine and alternative products which I prefer to call Smoking Replacement Products (SRP's) rather 'smokeless' products or nicotine replacement products (NRT). In spite of the fact that innovation, technology, science, competition, and most importantly regulatory oversight are challenging and changing the market place, many of the traditional stakeholders intentionally or unintentionally choose to cling to the past.

In today's radically altered environment there are so many terms and definitions being used that you need a scorecard to figure it all out. On top of that, the terms are no longer very 'defining' , and have become broad-sweeping and are often used interchangeably. Even the FDA statute and the confusion as to what is and what is not a tobacco product reflects the confusion that exists and the dire need to sit down and revisit not only the terminalogy but the statute itself - to make it a more rational and workable statute for defining and regulating all tobacco, nicotine and alternative products. This radically changing environment, so different (here in the US) from the 'tobacco wars' of the 70's,80's and 90's is why I have gone so far as to suggest that the FSTPC Act (with all is positive attributes) was outdated in many areas even before President Obama's signature was dry. Below are a number of examples where the confusion exists and will only get worse unless some serious, rational and prospective thinking takes place.

2. What is a 'Tobacco Product' ?

Before discussing 'tobacco products', let me first make a note that ‘tobacco’ is an agricultural based plant, grown in many varieties, and having a spectrum of differing properties . It is also critical in today's environment to recognize that it is what is done to the tobacco, how it is grown, processed, cured, refined, treated, manufactured and most importantly ‘used’ ( i.e. combusted versus non-combusted) that has a significant impact on determining the level of risk. Tobacco, often called the 'white rat' of the plant world is also being used to develop medicines, industrial enzymes and other potential products. So, it is prudent to not use the term too broadly, especially in talking in a public health context. It is also prudent and wise to ensure that as we discuss tobacco (and tobacco products made or derived from tobacco )we are involve, agronomists, growers, and other scientists into the discussion and not ignore these important experts.

For many the term 'tobacco product' conjures up the more traditional products of cigarettes, cigars, smokeless, pipe tobacco, roll your own, etc. products made by the 'evil empire', products which many, (including many people in public health who should know better), claim (inaccurately) all carry the same health hazards and risks. In fact such a term and its presumed definition really no longer fits today's environment.

The FDA statute defines a tobacco product as something as having a much broader application and as we shall see covers much much more than our traditional views:

(rr)(1) The term 'tobacco product' means any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product (except for raw materials other than tobacco used in manufacturing a component, part or accessory of a tobacco product).
(2) The term 'tobacco product' does not mean an article that is a drug under subsection(g)(1), a device under subsection (h), or a combination product described in section 503(g).
(3) The products described in paragraph (2) shall be subject to chapter V of this Act.
(4) A tobacco product shall not be marketed in combination with any other article or product regulated under this Act (including a drug, biologic, food, cosmetic, medical device, or dietary supplement).

The broad definition, then qualified with exceptions is in today’s environment filled with confusion, complications, a potential nightmare for the Agency, and a field day for private sector FDA lawyers. It is further complicated by the definitions under Title IX that seek to define some specific products but which is unclear about others. It might have made some (but even then not much) sense to segment out tobacco/nicotine products into different Centers at the FDA at one time but with the establishment of the new Center for Tobacco Products, a serious rethinking should have taken place in Congress -- one that would have brought a more rational approach to the regulation of all of the tobacco, nicotine and alternative products. This idea of regulating these products under one umbrella or as part of a more consistent set of standards based on risk is not new and has been referenced, suggested and advocated by many highly respected individuals for more than 10 years. Yet many (for many assorted reasons which I will not go into here) today seem to oppose and resist any new thinking on the subject.

The ‘tobacco product’ has evolved over many years and is continuing to evolve and there is no reason for its definition not to be revised from time to time as is the case today. Prior to the late 19th century there was no such thing as a ‘cigarette’. Most tobacco was either used in pipes, large cigars or in raw noncombustible forms (such as chewing tobacco or snuff). The cigarette was really discovered by accident (and later capitalized on) when soldiers during the Crimea War in the middle of the 19th century rolled tobacco in pieces of newspaper and called the little cigar a 'cigar-ette', a name formally given in France. It is no wonder that compared to today’s devastating tobacco- related lung cancer rates, the tobacco related lung cancer rates were comparatively small until the cigarette became so widely available made possible by lower prices and mass production using the Bonsack machine in the 1880's.

The recent discussion, debate and court determinations (with FDA acquiescence) over e-cigarettes helps us further realize and recognize that absent therapeutic claims the definition of a tobacco product will (and should) be more broadly interpreted. The FDA's 'letter' to Star Scientific concerning its Ariva and Stonewall BDL products is another example, where some (I don’t agree) read it to suggest these products are not tobacco products. While some members of the public health community were actively fighting the e-cigarette from being considered a tobacco product at all, they simultaneously sought to make the case that Ariva and Stonewall BDL should be regulated under the tobacco statute. There is no question in my mind that the dissolvable sticks, orbs, and strips are and will remain tobacco products under the Act so long as no therapeutic claims are made.

Using the scope of the definition of a tobacco product, I would go one step further to also suggest that many other nicotine based products from which the nicotine is derived from tobacco (which is I believe all of them are) will also be considered tobacco products and not 'drugs' or ‘devices’ absent therapeutic claims. Pharmaceutical companies could in my view make the case that their existing patches, gums, lozenges etc. could also be sold as products not subject to the drug provisions but rather as tobacco products under the FDA statute as long as they did not make the therapeutic claims. These products are just as much 'tobacco products' as defined by the statute as are e-cigarettes, or as are dissolvable or other products containing tobacco. It may be just a matter of time before the pharmaceutical products cross over the line to also be sold as tobacco products. And there are products that call themselves 'cigarettes' such as one I recently read about called Elusion being developed in New Zealand which comes in both a nicotine (derived from tobacco) and non-nicotine form.

Just as we see Big Tobacco companies moving into developing other forms of nicotine products, we thus could feasibly see pharmaceutical companies moving to produce a wider spectrum of products, some of which may be even more 'tobacco' based than the NRT products currently on the market. Once again this points out that we do indeed a more rational regulatory approach that regulates the growing spectrum of products based on risks, relative risks and intended use and less on the ‘entity’ making manufacturing them.

There is also this ongoing unscientific 'myth' perpetuated by many (that I noted above), that all 'tobacco products' are equally dangerous. This unscientific approach to looking at various products needs to be put to bed. Unfortunately however, there has not been any conscious effort to correct the misperceptions, to provide truthful and accurate statements, or to define what a tobacco product is and is not. It seems that science continues to often be sacrificed (misused or distorted) for advocacy and public relations purposes. We seem to see it in many statements from the tobacco control sector and even in government publications that highlight the serious dangers of smoking , only to in the next line or paragraph broaden the statement to include all tobacco—implying that all tobacco is equally harmful or just being sloppy in not making clearer, more understandable distinctions as to how the approximately 440,000 tobacco related deaths are caused. This is not only confusing but misleading and only adds to the confusion that consumers face every day as they try and sort out the wall of products behind the counter in their convenience store or pharmacy. Given this continuing confusion we urgently need to be looking at the risks, relative risks and intended uses of all tobacco, nicotine and alternative products and setting labeling and marketing standards, distribution and sales requirements, packaging requirement, etc. based on those risks.

Comments and Suggestions:

Given that the term 'tobacco product', as historically interpreted, is becoming more and more confusing and anachronistic in the current regulatory environment, I suggest that an impartial group of experts be convened to try and sort out definitions and look at 'categories' and products based on risks, relative risks and intended uses. This should and must include the growing spectrum of all tobacco, nicotine and alternative products. I believe that it is not too far off in the future when a tobacco based or tobacco containing product might be able to make a therapeutic claim and take its place as a serious competitor to the more traditional NRT products. In some instances those risk profiles are already comparable. I have suggested in other presentations I have made that the FDA tobacco center be reconstituted as the Center for Tobacco, Nicotine, and Alternative Products and that products be placed into three categories - 1. Combustible Products, 2. Noncombustible Products (Smoking Replacement Products (SRP's) and 3. Therapeutic Products. It may be one of the reasons why some, who aren't sure how to handle these changes, want to keep the ‘tobacco wars’ going and continue to rely on broad sweeping statements and nebulous definitions that in today’s age really aren’t helpful to public health objectives.

3. Who and What is the 'Tobacco Industry' ?

As I noted above in the introduction, the marketplace both in the US and elsewhere has the potential for having a broad spectrum of both traditional and nontraditional tobacco, nicotine, and alternative products which should make us think about the need to redefine who and what we are talking about when we use the term, 'tobacco industry'. For more than five years now I have suggested that there would be a convergence of interests between the tobacco industry and the pharmaceutical industry with tobacco becoming more pharmaceutical-like and pharmaceutical companies potentially focusing more on the development of consumer-oriented nicotine products, some that might be tobacco based or have other components (in addition to nicotine) that are derived from tobacco. That is clearly happening.

For the last several decades it served our purposes very well to refer to the 'tobacco industry' -- that easily defined bastion of deception and deceit. We successfully and rightfully demonized the 'industry'. The term is still being used and will continue to be used for public relations and public advocacy purposes, both in the US and in the rest of the world and I take no offense at that. In fact, for many countries, absent effective regulatory oversight, it is probably very appropriate to be using the term ‘tobacco industry’. The battles that are being waged on a global level however, differ greatly and each country must decide what tactics and stratgies work best for them. But in terms of regulating an expanding number of tobacco, nicotine and alternative products in the US, as well as Europe, we need to consider undertaking a paradigm shift, making changes that could be precedent setting and eventually be applied elsewhere in the world. In retrospect, the US Congress missed a tremendous opportunity when it limited it’s discussion to merely tobacco and the tobacco industry, relying on legislation proposals and approaches that had first been introduced in the 1990’s and were clearly outdated.

While it is important to put all of this into a historical context, it should not distract us from the fact that it is now time to consider what should have been considered 10-15 years ago. With a regulatory agency now overseeing tobacco, nicotine and alternative products we indeed have some opportunities before us, albeit not without challenges. So with respect to our use of the words ‘tobacco industry’, let’s think about how we might redefine our terms by asking a few questions.

· Is the 'tobacco industry' made up of only those who we call Big Tobacco?
· Does it include the hundreds if not thousands of small manufacturers scattered throughout the world? Even these manufacturers are very diverse and it might be impossible to try and stereotype them.
· Does it include tobacco growers, leaf dealers, and anyone who deals in tobacco in any shape or form? Are for example those in the flavors and fragrance business to be considered tobacco companies? Are the private sector laboratories doing testing and evaluation of tobacco related products for a spectrum of companies to be considered the 'tobacco industry'?
· Does it mean or imply that anyone and all entities that we brand as the 'tobacco industry' carry the same views and work as a single coordinated body and lobby?
· Aren't pharmaceutical companies (and others) that make nicotine based products, from which the nicotine is derived from tobacco, also in the tobacco -related business, being manufacturers of products regardless of where they sit on the risk reduction continuum ? And aren't these manufacturers today locked in a contentious competition with others to see who will dominate the tobacco, nicotine, and alternative products market place?
· Are not the traditional tobacco industry players (Big Tobacco) becoming more involved in expanding their product portfolios by researching and developing alternative nicotine delivery products? How is/will the pharmaceutical industry respond ?
· Are e-cigarette manufacturers who carry none to little of the traditional baggage of Big Tobacco part of the tobacco industry?
· Isn't it feasible/expected that we will continue to see new players (and more importantly new products) enter the tobacco, nicotine, and alternative products marketplace that might include biotech companies, food companies, dietary supplement companies, joint ventures involving research institutions and other entrepreneurs? If so, don't we need to establish the regulatory umbrella under which these players and products can compete in the market place and be regulated using similar and more consistent standards?

These considerations and possible trends can also be seen in the FSPTC Act where a number of sections take a broader perspective and focus on the product rather than on who the manufacturer is (i.e. a tobacco manufacturer will receive the same treatment and consideration and expected to provide the same level of science needed to support an application as would any other entity). Section 911 (Modified Risk Tobacco Products) for example talks about 'any person' seeking to get an approval for a modified risk product. It doesn't say big tobacco or the 'tobacco industry'. The filing of the application could come from a more traditional tobacco company but it could also come from a pharmaceutical company, a biotech company, a food company, a dietary supplement company, a joint venture that might even include an academic institution, or even an individual.

Comments and Suggestions: Just as we need to take a closer look at how we define tobacco, nicotine and alternative products in the future we also need to simultaneously look at how we are describing the companies and manufacturers who are doing the research, development and marketing of these products. The more traditional tobacco and pharmaceutical companies are at a crossroads of sorts, competing, not only amongst themselves but with a whole new breed of companies and research interests. They can perpetuate the past or they can be trail blazers in what will be an inevitable shift in their business practices and ways of doing business. Many of the players who ignore the science or their obligations will and should rightfully be driven off the playing field. I see the landscape continuing to radically change with more and more innovation, technology and product development that if managed in the proper regulatory setting will benefit public health.

We might want to define and categorize tobacco and nicotine manufacturers based on the type of products they make. For example:

· For those manufacturing cigarettes, cigars and other combustible products, the “Combustible or Cigarette Industry”;

· For those manufacturing the more traditional ‘smokeless’ products, the “Smokeless Industry”;

· For those manufacturing alternative products that are noncombustible and scientifically established to be significantly lower in risk than the combustible cigarette (and lower in risk than more traditional smokeless products), the “Smoking Replacement Products (SRP's) Industry”;

· For those manufacturing tobacco, nicotine and alternative products that are intended for therapeutic purposes, the Tobacco, Nicotine and Alternative Products Therapeutic Industry.

Whatever we come up with, we have to get beyond the stereotyping that has been used ( but which has been so critically important) in the 60’s, 70’s 80’ and even 90’s. It is indeed time to take a more pragmatic and rational approach to defining who these various industry segments are and are not if we are serious about improving the public health. Whoever the manufacturer is and what ever product is being considered, the most critical need is to ensure that the research conducted by any entity meets strict scientific criteria.

Just as a researcher, or research institution should not advocate the scientific research agenda of a corporate interest (tobacco, pharmaceutical, food, drug, medical device or other) so too must we be careful not to have scientists and researchers being asked to take and support advocacy and public policy position that go beyond their research conclusions. The research should speak for itself. At a recent conference at Harvard in June on tobacco science, one presenter suggested that researchers needed to "get out of their silos', something that if anyone has read things I have written knows, I agree wholeheartedly with. We need to get people and all stakeholders and experts out of their silos and into the sunlight of dialogue and discussion and to have them bring their insights and expertise to what is an increasingly complicated environment. But we should be careful, very careful about the scientific community in particular being co-opted and used by corporate interests as well as the tobacco control advocacy (who views and positions are not always based on or backed up with science). Dialogue and communication are essential but science and the scientist must seek to remain as independent as possible, yet actively be a part of the process.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Reconsidering and Revising Terminologies and Definitions to Adapt to a Changing Tobacco, Nicotine, and Alternative Products Regulatory Environment (continued)

4. Who and What is the Tobacco Control/Public Health Community ?

As with the tendency to brand anyone associated with tobacco as part of the evil "Tobacco Industry", there is also a tendency to define and see the 'tobacco control/public health community' as being a unified entity. In spite of efforts to maintain that image it is anything but and it too is in some ways at a crossroads. There is no question that in 'tobacco control', especially in the US, it has tended to be decision- making from the top down which obviously has tremendous advantages when fighting a decades long war with 'Big Tobacco'. But as one internationally, highly respected tobacco control advocate suggested to me several years ago, this approach also has its downsides, especially in an environment that is changing as rapidly as is occurring in the tobacco, nicotine, and alternative products environment. Institutionalized decision making, a tendency to hold on to past ways, and a tendency for others to merely 'follow’ the leader' may be missing new opportunities to accomplish what has long been a stated goal of 'reducing disease and death’ caused by tobacco use and most importantly by cigarettes. This is one of the dilemmas being faced in what is now being referred to as 'tobacco harm reduction' which I will address shortly. In the last several years it has become very obvious that there are very differing views about what we should be doing in the coming months and years in order to reduce morbidity and mortality. Many believe that we must stick with the traditional approaches of advocacy such as increasing taxes, enacting clean indoor air laws, restricting advertising and promotion, continuing litigation, putting graphic warning labels on cigarettes, and waging war with the ‘tobacco industry’ however that is defined etc. Others believe that new strategies should be considered, applied, and incorporated as part of the tobacco control arsenal.

Concurrently, some entities have become so dependent on some corporate interests that their policy positions have shifted and been reshaped causing some of them to lose the creativity and insights they once had. Just as we should be critical and extremely cautious about tobacco industry money influencing decision-making, so too, in this new regulated environment, should we be wary of all corporate interests subtly applying pressure on public health decisions as has been the case with respect to the areas of cessation and harm reduction (see below). This is not new, and it is something that permeates our society and political system in general. For several decades extensive amounts of pharmaceutical funding have been provided to a broad spectrum of NGO's, been used to sponsor meetings/conferences, as well as ‘quit lines’. These relationships and the financial support have made it possible to help take on the ‘tobacco industry’. That's good. But in today’s regulated environment where competition in the market place has become more obvious and dominant, how these relationships are entered into and used needs to be acknowledged and addressed. With that kind of influence it is not surprising that the idea of tobacco harm reduction, once actively supported by many in the public health community, is now criticized and accused of being a ‘tobacco industry’ ploy.

Whether others wish to acknowledge it or not I have never seen the suppression of ideas of such magnitude as I have seen it in the last several years. It's always been there as I was very recently reminded by a colleague who told me that when I first started talking about FDA regulation of tobacco, he was told he shouldn't talk to me because my ideas were not part of the traditional tobacco control arsenal. Legendary tobacco control advocate Michael Pertchuk said I was on a ‘fool’s errand’. That was 30 years ago!!! Today the extensive use of emails, while having tremendous communicating benefits, coupled with a top down decision making approach, also has a downside and is used in many instances to suppress open dialogue and discussion. I am sure that many will not like my saying that but it is unfortunately the case. It also unfortunately fosters (in part) an environment that seems to have no potential or intended outcome or resolution except to give people a soapbox to pontificate their views, control the beliefs of others, all without a willingness to listen. Many researchers tow the tobacco control party line out of concern that their research funding might be cut or eliminated or because they fear criticism from their colleagues if they don’t heed the party line.

And yet in a survey I did a couple years ago, asking a broad spectrum of people and interests about their views on harm reduction and the need for increased civil dialogue, the response was overwhelmingly positive.( The questions and survey results can be found at www.tobaccoatcrossroads.com )

The tobacco control community, the public health community, the research community and the individuals who make up those communities, bring differing perspectives to the table and can and should play a variety of different roles. They need to be given both the freedom and flexibility to be able to make their own determinations as to what they believe are appropriate and legitimate strategies and not fear criticism, being ostracized, or even having their funding sources threatened because they have views that may be different from traditional views.

I suggest that we move away from the catchall phrase of the 'public health community' (for the very same reason I suggested we move away from the catchall phrase of 'tobacco industry') and think instead of a number categories and constituencies that all may have some common threads but which maybe also have differing views and opinions. These various categories could include:

· Tobacco Control Advocates,*

· Public Health Advocates,*

· A spectrum of medical professionals with differing interests who deal with the day to day realities of public health challenges and opportunities (not just tobacco),

· Scientific Researchers (encompassing a spectrum of disciplines and not just those doing work in tobacco and nicotine),

· Other experts who support public health objectives who may not come out of tobacco control but who may have valuable and useful contributions to make ( experts in labeling and marketing, ethicists, experts in child-proof packaging, experts on First Amendment issues, educators, consumers, and even economists and trade experts etc).

All of the above (and more) could bring some new ideas and perspectives to the table if given the opportunity to do so in a ‘safe’ environment that encourages dialogue and the exchange of ideas rather than suppressing it.

* A number of people have pointed out to me over the last several years that there may be some very distinct differences between persons in tobacco control and those in public health. A person in public health may be more pragmatic about challenges and opportunities, including accepting the concept of ‘risk reduction’ and the risk reduction continuum. A person in tobacco control may be inclined to be more oriented towards eliminating or reducing all tobacco use regardless of the relative risks of various products.

5. What do we mean by "Cessation" ?

This is a word that in today's environment has multiple meanings and interpretations depending on who you talk to. It is easy to talk about cessation in generic terms but it is more difficult to determine what it means in today’s regulated environment. It is a word that can be confusing to the public, and even more confusing to the consumer. It is also a word that is interpreted by a spectrum of special interests including corporations whose profits will rise and fall on how such a word is used, interpreted, and marketed both in the public sector and in the private sector. As I noted elsewhere, competition takes on a new and increasingly critical role as corporate interests vie for market place dominance.

'Quit-lines' have become a 'business' and are not only funded by NGO's and government but heavily supported by the pharmaceutical industry as well. The pharmaceutical industry's laudable goal seems to be help people 'quit' (smoking? tobacco?) but does it not follow that advocating that people use their nicotine products is the only viable way to achieve this.

Those in the pharmaceutical industry, with the active support of many who receive funding from those pharmaceutical interests, have been working to keep the significantly lower risk tobacco- based products off the market (even while the highly toxic cigarette remains on the market) using the arguments of unintended consequences and the influences of 'Big Tobacco' as their justification even though these products have risk profiles that are almost identical to the pharmaceutical products. Petitions have been filed, letters written, media campaigns initiated and legislators recruited. This is in some ways the ‘new war’, a war between various corporate interests vying for control of a very lucrative market place. The recruitment of allies thus becomes critical. Competition in a regulated environment is critical but there also needs to be greater transparency in the process.

So we really have several definitions of 'cessation' depending on how different groups and special interests want to define the term.

1. Smoking cessation (eliminating cigarette smoking and the use of cigarettes);

2. Tobacco Cessation (eliminating the use of all tobacco in any form regardless of the risks or level of harm);

3. Nicotine Cessation (eliminating the use of all nicotine whether in tobacco products, nicotine replacement products or other alternative products);

What is particularly of concern is that by once again using the term so freely and for multiple purposes we may be throwing the baby out with the bath water, confusing consumers even further and suppressing competition between a growing spectrum of manufacturers.

Cessation is tied in with some of the other areas where confusions exist such as the issue labeling and claims (see below). Are cessation products for example, products that equate to having a therapeutic purpose ? Or can cessation be used to also describe ‘alternative’ products that don’t make therapeutic claims but are scientifically established to be lower in risk and might be used to provide consumers with ‘alternatives’ to the toxic combustible cigarette? Where are and where should the lines be draw for maximum public health benefit. Once again, bringing all tobacco, nicotine, and alternative products under the same regulatory umbrella at the FDAS where we focus on risks, relative risks and intended uses across the full spectrum of products could help us sort through the confusion.

6. What do we mean by 'Claims and Health Claims' ?

This is an area that needs a great deal of further discussion and in some ways is related to how we classify and define various products, the level of science available about the product, and how that product is intended to be used. e.g. is it an alternative product to others on the market or a therapeutic cessation product (making a disease specific claim that will require a higher level of scientific support for claims to be made ?

For years we in the public health community conveniently used the words 'health claim' as all encompassing, suggesting that anything positive (explicit or implied) that is said about a tobacco product should be interpreted as a 'health claim'. I know that I did. In the late 80's for example we sought to have low tar and low nicotine cigarettes regulated as drugs and/or devices under the FDC Act because these products were 'intended to mitigate or prevent disease' and were making implied 'health claims'. -- and therefore should be subject to the drug/device provisions of the Act. The Supreme Court obviously and unfortunately did not agree.

With the establishment of the Center for Tobacco Products at the FDA and the adoption of a more objective application of science to better regulate the growing spectrum of products about which the public and users of these products would need to be informed, we need to take a serious look at how we might want to better define various types of claims and informational statements and consider the degree and level of science needed to allow (or disallow) a certain type of claim or informational statement.

Looking at how the Food and Drug Administration considers and deals with claims and statements in other areas (foods, over-the- counter drugs, pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements etc.) can be very useful and instructive in helping us better delineate and define various types of claims, statements, as well as the level of science needed to support a type of claim or informational statement. As an example, a 'health claim' for a food refers to a claim that is disease specific (i.e. this product reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke) and requires significant scientific agreement (SSA) whereas function structure claims are claims requiring a lower level of science and may refer to the reduction of removal of a particular toxins or harmful constituent).

And in the dietary supplement area for example FDA requires many products to carry "NO THERAPEUTIC CLAIM" statements, because there is insufficient scientific evidence to make specific disease related claims. FDA has provided guidance to various industries in great detail and the guidance documents can be accessed by going to the agency's website (U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page).

Thus, the type of claim or information that would be allowed or disallowed for a tobacco, nicotine or alternative product would really depend on where the product falls on the continuum of risk, the amount of science available to support the claim or statement and what the product’s intended use is.

The issues of labeling and marketing, including the various types of claims and other information that may or may not be provided to the public and users of tobacco, nicotine, and alternative products is an issue at the heart of tobacco, nicotine, and alternative product harm reduction. It is an area deserving of more in-depth discussion at the FDA, the Institute of Medicine and other governmental agencies, as well as in the private sector. It is one that, in the United States, not only has important public health benefits but also important free speech and First Amendment consequences as well, and doing it right can mean ensuring that protracted litigation is avoided. The FDA should consider discussing these important issues as part of a workshop or other forum that brings together a number of stakeholders and experts- including experts outside the tobacco environment. This is an area also ripe for a private sector 'dialogues' that can also help shape new policies and regulation for the allowance or disallowance of claims and other informational statements on all tobacco, nicotine and alternative products.

7. What is 'Harm Reduction' ?

In its broadest sense, harm reduction means employing a variety of tools , policies, programs and actions that are designed to reduce harm but not necessarily eliminate it. This is particularly the case in democratic and capitalist societies and environments. I have always subscribed to the goal of 'reducing disease and death' from the use of tobacco, not banning either the tobacco (leaf), the product, or for that matter the nicotine.

There are many behaviors that we engage in that carry risks and we make determinations as to how to deal with risks without banning or eliminating such behaviors (teenage pregnancy (condoms, birth control etc), alcohol use and abuse, automobile and motorcycle safety, food/nutrition/obesity, etc).

Let me use just a couple of examples. Driving an automobile is and will never be totally safe. Yet we employ actions and take a number of steps that are designed to mitigate and prevent injury to not only the driver, but the passengers and the public as well. We have speed limits, stops signs, 'fines' , registration fees, licensing requirements, driving while under the influence (DUI) laws, age restrictions, restrictions on using cell phones by the driver etc. As part of the strategies to reduce risk, we also have product specification safety standards, that include a wide spectrum of safety related requirements including such things as seatbelts and air bags, breaks, head and tail lights, emission standards, tire specifications, etc. We have 'owner manuals' that go into great detail about the vehicle and other safety requirements and warnings. Innovation, technology advancements, research and development and competition are all used to produce safer, cleaner and more efficient vehicles demanded by the consumer.

In the food and nutrition arena we don't seek to ban foods with cholesterol, fat , salt, caffeine, sugar etc but we employ a number of tools that are designed to educate, regulate, provide incentives, and set standards etc so as to help reduce the devastating toll of heart disease, stroke , diabetes, cancer etc. caused by dietary choices. We have programs to provide healthier foods to schools, and to the elderly. Where a disease specific health claim is made for a food we ensure that the claim is based on the best science and not merely Madison Avenue hype. Consumers are provided with information on the packaging and educated about the types of foods that promote a healthier diet. There are also numerous food safety requirements etc. all designed to better 'inform' and protect the consumer.

In the tobacco, nicotine and alternative products environment we already have numerous policy objectives and tools in place such as taxation, sales restrictions, labeling and advertising restrictions, clean- indoor laws, litigation etc. that are all designed to reduce the use of tobacco products, restrict availability, etc. without banning the products. None of these are 'silver bullets' but are part of the broader effort to reduce risk and change the behaviors of not only the users of the products but also the manufacturers of the product. But we also need , as part of those strategies to set and establish product standards that are based on risks, relative risks, and intended uses for all tobacco, nicotine and alternative products-- standards that are effective, fair, and workable and which will give users complete, truthful and accurate information (see above section on claims)

What seems to be a cause for alarm and is unsettling to some tobacco control advocates is a continuing fear that the tobacco industry (whoever that is today) is up to their old tricks of deceptions like those evidenced in the low tar/low nicotine fiascos, the example that is routinely cited to explain why product modification (harm reduction) should be avoided. I take a cautious but contrary view. I would suggest that with the advent with FDA oversight, with a greater public and transparent dialogue on the topic of harm reduction, that scenario has been forever altered and its time to stop using it as the public relations battle cry (at least in the United States).

Not only has FDA oversight changed the environment but it may be best to now subscribe to the idea of "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer'. Taking this one step further, Abraham Lincoln once said, "Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" I would not go that far but I would say that there are enormous opportunities for changing corporate behaviors to be more oriented to public health goals by providing incentives, and instilling greater competition, if done in a transparent manner and within a regulatory framework.

9. Conclusion

I have said and I will continue to say and suggest that in this rapidly changing environment, and in discussing issues related to tobacco, nicotine and alternative products regulation, we need to tone down the public relations rhetoric and to begin to have a serious discussion about regulating these products based on risks, relative risks and intended uses. To do that effectively means we also can no longer afford to be so 'loose' with the terms we use and how we apply them. Such discussions are best managed in a setting in which there can be an independent facilitator -- whether it's done through a governmental agency or in the private sector. The issues, challenges and opportunities we are facing are complex. Trying to deal with them by using strategies and methods of the 1980's and 90's aren't good enough and relying on them as the only way to move forward might do more public health harm than good.

Many will choose not to engage in such a manner and deal with the changing environment, choosing instead to keep the tobacco 'wars' going, discouraging the development of new significantly lower risk products and 'mixing' science and public relations rhetoric in the process. I hope that those who are willing to look forward will do so by considering new ideas and opportunities --- ideas and opportunities for reducing disease and death from tobacco use.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Just to add to my previous, rather brief, post: I was not intending to be dismissive of this scholarly and well-presented work, which must have taken several day's work to complete, and could not have been done without many years of research and work in this field.

It's just that until something is done about the insidious corruption within the organisations that control the regulatory processes, no progress can be made. When many of the people involved depend in one way or another on the pharmaceutical industry for their funding, and when their jobs depend on either maintaining the status quo or promoting the interests of large corporates, and when their future job prospects depend on toeing the party line, it is hard to avoid the feeling that nothing much can be achieved.

When thousands of deaths are being either ignored or even promoted by current policies, and not only is that situation being treated as inconsequential but enthusiastically supported by anyone with the power to effect or block change, then we must be aware that corruption is so deeply ingrained within the regulatory framework that progress might be easier when working with the governmental apparatus of Nigeria or Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread