Bad chemical taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2010
Peninsula, Ohio
I need some help here. I have been vapping for over 2 years and decided to try to make my own juice.

I purchased 100mg nic juice (pg base), bottle of pg and vg, some TFA favoring (ry4,black cherry,bubble
gum,and some sweetener). All from Myfreedomsmokes.

I mixed up 10ml using the basic calculator.
18% nic
60% pg
12% vg
10% ry4

I get good vapor, TH and flavor.

But I am getting a nasty after taste, very chemical tasting. It's so bad I cannot vape thru a full carto. And It takes hours for the taste to go away.

I'm at a loss here, not sure if something is bad, if that's possible I don't know, or if maybe I'm using to much pg. I know this will take time to get a good mix but it sure is not starting out to good.
There is a date on the nicotine bottle Dec 4, 2012. I called and Justin told me that date was when it was made.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
What does it taste like if you do the same mix without any flavoring? (Your nic will be 20mg with all the other components at the same volume measurement.)

I ask because 10% TPA RY4 is not high from reports by others and if it is coming from something else, you could spend quite a bit of time chasing flavoring levels when it may not be the cause.

mikecup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2010
Peninsula, Ohio
Ok I just mixed up 5ml 18% nic, 70%pg and 12%vg. No flavoring at all.
I just vapped thru 20drops in my eternity.
No real chemical taste anymore, a slight odd taste nothing major though.
I guess 10% ry4 is to strong for me, I have other flavors I can try.
I never expected the flavoring to produce such a nasty taste, I know now to start with a very low amount first.
Thanks for the help.

mikecup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2010
Peninsula, Ohio
I just ordered some more nic (18mg,70/30 pg/vg premixed)and flavors from wizard labs. Its just what I need, more vaping supplies:)

I will have to try steeping the juices for a day or so, maybe that will help.
Maybe its the brand of the flavor, no chemical taste at all without the flavor, but I tried just 5 drops of the grape in 5ml and I am getting a slight chemical taste again, its vapable but not real pleasant.
Then again maybe its just me.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
The most difficult part of DIY is finding the right flavors to suit YOUR taste. You might end up with "x" flavor from vendor A, "y" flavor from vendor B etc. It takes time and patience (and of course a few $$$) to find the ones you like and from there, it gets much easier. Hang in there! Always order the smallest bottles of flavoring offered until you see if you like them and it's not as painful when you have to shove them to the back of the shelf. :)

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
EVERY fruit flavor I get from TFA is perfumey without steeping.

Leaving the cap off for 24 hours has really worked like a charm. One of my higher percentage fruit blends required nearly two full days without the cap on.

The difference is truly night and day. Of course you can let them steep naturally ... but its nice to know that you can remove that perfume taste within a 24 hour time frame if waiting weeks is not an option.

Last edited:

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Ry4 has a lot of vanilla. Most people who bake know if you use to much it will be chemically and will leave a bitter aftertaste. And any flavoring like you use to flavor water will leave an awful aftertaste not noticed while drinking it. Vaping is the same. In fact, I've read while studying DIY that if you use way too much flavor you won't taste any flavor at all but will later with bitter aftertaste.

mikecup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2010
Peninsula, Ohio
EVERY fruit flavor I get from TFA is perfumey without steeping.

Leaving the cap off for 24 hours has really worked like a charm. One of my higher percentage fruit blends required nearly two full days without the cap on.

The difference is truly night and day. Of course you can let them steep naturally ... but its nice to know that you can remove that perfume taste within a 24 hour time frame if waiting weeks is not an option.

That's what I'm trying now I made up four 5ml bottles with different TFA flavors, I will let them steep for 24 hrs and see.
What do you mean by steep naturally?
And why can't I just leave the cap off of the flavor bottle, wondering if that would get rid of the perfume(chemical taste).

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
By natural steep I mean letting the bottle sit for 1-3 weeks and allowing the process occur by itself.

Leavign the cap off for a day seems to help move the process along much faster. Some people claim leaving the cap off longer results in a completely different taste.

The longest I've left a cap off was 2 days and it was a very strong blend that seemed to need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread