• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

AW IMR batteries charging question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
Seeing as there was a question as where to buy batteries, i did not want to hijack the thread, so i thought i would make one :D

Ok here goes; I placed an order on Wednesday (around 4am) for 4 16340's of the AW IMR types (guess they are Li-Mn? or Lithium Cells?) anyway....still waiting for the order to ship (yeah that is a whole other story), anyway i was reading the site where i ordered them and i see this warm fuzzy:

Be advised that the batteries on this page are Lithium Cells. We duly caution you that lithium batteries have known issues while being charged ( same type of batteries as your cellphone or laptop). The nature of lithium ion batteries requires the use of a lipo sack, as they may ignite during charging. By purchasing a battery or charger you acknowledge that charging lithium cells is not without risk, and you must take action to contain that risk.
We suggest you charge your batteries inside a 'Li-Po Charging Sack' or within a closed biscuit tin with gas vent holes drilled in it. The Li-Po sack or tin should be placed on a non-igniting surface such as tiles or stone. It should not be placed on wood, carpet or a worktop.
Do NOT charge batteries unattended.
Do NOT leave batteries on charge once fully recharged

huh? :confused:

I have a trust fire TR-001 when i was charging the trust fire's and i was told it would charge the AW IMR's, and now i read that there could be a spark and oh say igniting issue?

should i cancel the order and go to gentleman's reserve to buy the 16340's there?

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
The tr 001 will be fine, but as others said not the best. I wouldn't leave them unattended for long periods of time, but it's not a real concern. They post the warnings to cover their asses mainly. I've had my aw imr's going forever now with no incidents, and they still charge to a perfect 4.2 every time.

Best thing to do is grab a cheap multimeter and periodically test them coming off the charger to make sure nothing weird is going on.

vise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton
The problem isn't with the batteries as much as the charger. If the charger does not shut off after the cells are fully charged, they can (and have) violently exploded, although it is a rarity! Check YouTube if you want to see the resulting carnage. As Riverboat explained, a good charger is paramount for charging these batteries, and a LiPo bag is just an extra level of protection in case things go sideways while charging.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
The tr 001 will be fine, but as others said not the best. I wouldn't leave them unattended for long periods of time, but it's not a real concern. They post the warnings to cover their asses mainly. I've had my aw imr's going forever now with no incidents, and they still charge to a perfect 4.2 every time.

Best thing to do is grab a cheap multimeter and periodically test them coming off the charger to make sure nothing weird is going on.

Well i am one step ahead of the game there. Canadian Tire had their Master craft multi meter go on sale from $40 down to $9.99 so i snagged one and have been using it with the saber and the pass through i have ;)

By testing them, i am guessing to make sure they are in the 4.2 range?

vise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton
would something like this work? Xstar WP2 II Charger? *groans* think i will go with a lambo and ego twist and put the saber touch on the self for a little while

That's one of the chargers I use and found it to be rock solid. I like the fact you can reliably charge different sizes of batteries at the same time with it. Needing to use spacers for the different lengths can be a pain if you have many different sizes to charge though.

Toronto_Mike

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2011
Toronto, Canada
would something like this work? Xstar WP2 II Charger? *groans* think i will go with a lambo and ego twist and put the saber touch on the self for a little while

Yep! I've been using it with 2 x 18650 nipple tops. Whew! I finally got to type "nipple tops". The WP2 is a 2 bay charger. Xtar also has a 6 bay version. JR Custom Turnings also carries the X-tar.

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada

Never used that one, heard good things and bad. Apparently the charge rate is different when charging multiple batteries, and the spacers are a little goofy. Other then that it's a step up from tr001.

I have the newer 4 bay trustfire one and it's been pretty good, just kinda slow lol.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
I never thought looking for this information would be so hard.....me....the blood hound of the internet :blink: so far what i found on my charger is:

Description:

The TrustFire Brand Tr-001 Multi-charger can charge 10440, 14500, 18650 and various other batteries at either 3.7V, a handy application charger for different kinds of batteries - possibly the greatest charger in the universe. Can charge in dual channels and features smart-charge cut-off.

What said smart charge cut off is, no clue, still looking Found it, it turns the charge down to a trickle charge. So best thing is charge, as soon as the lights turn green pull the batteries off them.

Which is fine as it looks like i am not going to have my stuff in the mail today which would mean the supplier will cough up another excuse.....that is fine, though (i think) i need the 3.7V 16340's, i can get two trust fires from gentleman's reserve that are 880mah and not 550mah like the AW's....works out in the end.....

*WEG* just means seeing as i want the extra power i can order my lambo before fathers day :D it all works out in the end

Last edited:

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
I really think that the warnings were more geared towards the cheap chargers that sometimes comes with kits. Something tells me those are not reliable in any way.

I have 2 chargers the trustfire tr-001 and the ultrafire wf-188.
I started with the 188 and use to leave the battery's on overnight (really stupid I know). In the 3-4 months I was doing it I never had any issues. I did still check the battery's every once and a while to make sure they were at 4.2v

Really I think if your using a decent charger and not leaving them on for hours upon hours after they are charged you should be fine.

If your using a $2 charger that's so small it could barely hold any electronics.... Well that's just stupid!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Was using the Tr-001 (7+ months old) 18650 batts a few weeks ago and was always present when charging. Thought it was taking a long time so went over and the batts were warm with red charge light on. Took batts off and tested them as fully charged= charger failed. Thankfully had a spare but if anyone is wondering if the charger shut down chip can fail, believe it me can and did.

Toronto_Mike

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Seeing as there was a question as where to buy batteries, i did not want to hijack the thread, so i thought i would make one :D

Ok here goes; I placed an order on Wednesday (around 4am) for 4 16340's of the AW IMR types (guess they are Li-Mn? or Lithium Cells?) anyway....still waiting for the order to ship (yeah that is a whole other story), anyway i was reading the site where i ordered them and i see this warm fuzzy:

Be advised that the batteries on this page are Lithium Cells. We duly caution you that lithium batteries have known issues while being charged ( same type of batteries as your cellphone or laptop). The nature of lithium ion batteries requires the use of a lipo sack, as they may ignite during charging. By purchasing a battery or charger you acknowledge that charging lithium cells is not without risk, and you must take action to contain that risk.
We suggest you charge your batteries inside a 'Li-Po Charging Sack' or within a closed biscuit tin with gas vent holes drilled in it. The Li-Po sack or tin should be placed on a non-igniting surface such as tiles or stone. It should not be placed on wood, carpet or a worktop.
Do NOT charge batteries unattended.
Do NOT leave batteries on charge once fully recharged

huh? :confused:

I have a trust fire TR-001 when i was charging the trust fire's and i was told it would charge the AW IMR's, and now i read that there could be a spark and oh say igniting issue?

should i cancel the order and go to gentleman's reserve to buy the 16340's there?

If you're still confused, you need to consult a professional - contact Switcher over at JR Custom Turning - he'll be able to set you up with the optimum batteries & charger. The guy knows everything & beyond - he's like the freakin' OB1 of vaping.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
I made a C.O.D order, have Li-PO safe charging bag, (i think it was Mike who was saying) xStar WP6 II charger (site said it came with the spacers already in the box) , Boge 2.0 LR XL cartomizers pack of 5 (black) for $66.60 (yeah i know the comments are there, i am leaving it alone)

Figured the xStar has 6 bays, and with four of the to be used for the 16340's to be used in the saber, and two (maybe AW imr's) 18650 for the Lambo, better to up the quality now then find out later that i did some fast renovation...

only reason why i am getting the cursed imr's for the saber is that i heard they can power up the dual coils no matter what voltage, and they make the boge and kanger's hit harder

Last edited:

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
I made a C.O.D order, have Li-PO safe charging bag, (i think it was Mike who was saying) xStar WP6 II charger (site said it came with the spacers already in the box) , Boge 2.0 LR XL cartomizers pack of 5 (black) for $66.60 (yeah i know the comments are there, i am leaving it alone)

Figured the xStar has 6 bays, and with four of the to be used for the 16340's to be used in the saber, and two (maybe AW imr's) 18650 for the Lambo, better to up the quality now then find out later that i did some fast renovation...

only reason why i am getting the cursed imr's for the saber is that i heard they can power up the dual coils no matter what voltage, and they make the boge and kanger's hit harder

Some one with better knowledge than I should comment. But I am certain your going to need more than just the two spacers that were provided for 16340's with that charger.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
Some one with better knowledge than I should comment. But I am certain your going to need more than just the two spacers that were provided for 16340's with that charger.

:facepalm: i am? suddenly i am getting the feeling there is a higher vapor that is trying to tell me something.....hopefully it is not the whole thick accent "no vari volt vapour for you! now go!"

vise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton
:facepalm: i am? suddenly i am getting the feeling there is a higher vapor that is trying to tell me something.....hopefully it is not the whole thick accent "no vari volt vapour for you! now go!"

Mike hit the nail on the head, get a hold of Switcher at JRCustomTurnings. The guy is a guru, and a cool dude to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread