Status
Not open for further replies.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I don't know if a high end quick charger would have been smart enough to reduce charging current? If not, the warm batt may have been a hot batt and vented.

Most high end chargers give you a choice of currents to charge batteries. The VP1 one for example can charge at 250mA, 500mA or 1A. I use the default 250mA because it is safer and better for the batteries and I have enough batteries s time is not an issue for me. A good charger is also less likely to charge or overchage a bad battery. These are just some of the things you are paying for.

r0ss...

Nov 11, 2013
USA
If you are handy with a soldering iron your battery can probably be fixed. I'm sure this will get all the batterycondriacs panties in a bunch but I'll share the fix with you anyway. The reason your battery isn't charging is simple, it's refusing to except a charge due to the protection board cutting it off because the charge dropped below 2.something volts I forget the exact number. No brand charger is the problem or having the word FIRE in the name the cause either. Step 1 remove the protection board. (You can probably find a YouTube video showing you how if you don't know. Step 2 Now Check the voltage with a voltmeter you will probably find the battery does indeed have some charge left in it. Step 3 Put the battery in the charger without the PCB ( Don't worry Lithium chargers have built in charge protection but to be on the safe side on charge for 15 min or so to get the voltage up to over 3.5v) Step 4 Reattach the PCB. Step 5 Charge as normal. Now you should have a working battery of course there is the possibility the battery is bad in that case it just wont hold the charge. I know the batterycondriacs will say don't do it because the battery will blow up your house, poison your dog and drive to your granny's house and push her down the stairs. Seriously unless you purposely short the battery for an extended period of time or charge them well beyond 4.2 volts or try to draw mega amps from the the battery they are perfectly safe. I pull Pcb's of bad cells all the time and attach them to cells I recover from old laptop packs never had one blow up on me. Most of the stories about lithium batteries are I know a guy who knows a guy who read some where that another guy.... Anyway I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread