ATTENTION FLAVOR VENDORS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouthycat

Jul 27, 2016
I'm still new to DIY e-liquid but so many of the flavors i've bought from ecigexpress are low on flavor. Capella has been the best. FW & FA the worst. I bought 24 flavors & 6 have been disappointments & another 6 are barely adequate cause flavor is weak even @ 15-18% or off flavor. (eg. FA, Peach; Signature, Orange Cream; FA, Whipped Cream; FW, Strawberry Shortcake etc.) These & others are headed for the trash! These were all reviewed 4 & 5 star flavors. Flavor vendors! Sell us descent, tasty flavors or get out the flavor business!

Reactions: Marst

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
Have you ever tried them with lower percentages? I have a couple flavors that are really potent and only need to be added at .25% or less or they take over. For instance, Rainbow drops @ 3% and Gummy Candy @ .5%, Gummy Candy controls the house in TFA flavors. You can actually cause a flavor to go mute if you add to much in. It will smell good but you won't taste it. Hope this helps.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Less is more when it comes to flavor concentrates (for me anyways). I stopped DIYing because I added to much flavoring and couldn't taste my juice. I got discouraged and stopped for months. Wanting to get back into it and learning more about DIY I have been able to make vape-able juice using less flavorings.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    A lot of those flavors aren't made specifically for vaping. As a mixer, you have to perform the "system integration" of making something that actually works from the components. You're finding there's more work to that than suspected. And really, finding you only like half of them is above par. A small bottle of flavor is cheap though.

It really does seem a like a lot of it figuring out how to make flavors "pop", combinations that increase total flavor, ways to use that more subtle flavor as an enhancement. Flavors that are disappointing by themselves can have a big effect with something to stand out against. They don't only make foreground flavors.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Flavor vendors! Sell us descent, tasty flavors or get out the flavor business

It would help if the the flavor vendors informed their vape customers as to the recommended single and mix strengths ranges. I'm finding that 5% use is not very informative (5% may not be a recommendation to DIY mixes only).
    A word about taste sensitivity, I have very low taste sensitivity and my mixes are generally higher in overall flavor percentages as compared to most mixers. I would not be surprised that 80% of the flavoring I have tried to date, is on the weak end of my tasting intensity spectrum. I try to drill down to, not so much how good a flavor is rated (subjective), but how much flavor is used in a mix (among other factors). The less percentage used in a mix, generally the more intense (IYFF-In your face flavor) the better it is for us taste challenged folks.
    I find Arnie generally use a higher % of flavors or more concentrated flavors:
    RE: arnieh's E-Liquid (E-Juice) Recipes
    Age, years and method of smoking/vaping can effect taste buds.
    DIY is still in it's infancy and until some folks come up with near accurate taste intensity parameters, we as mixers are doomed to stumble around testing different flavors. Unfortunately for folks like me, a weak flavor which is perfectly strong and excellent in taste to a average person with normal to good taste buds, will always be a problem when it comes to testing/enjoying a new flavor.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 17, 2014
    Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
    @Mouthycat The most I ever had in a mix was 11.5% total flavoring. That was with using 11 different flavors in the mix. For the single flavor I use anywhere from .25% up to 3% max. I quit smoking after 28 years using Unflavored juice so I basically reset my taste buds. Once I quit smoking fully is when I started to enjoy the flavored juices. Your mileage may vary. I would recommend vaping Unflavored for about a month, then try flavored again. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread