• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Atheists Think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slighter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Chicago Illinois
1307.jpg

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Excellent topic and the truth that separates atheists and agnostics from the... ummm... faithful (for lack of a better, more descriptive but less polite word). Now, if everyone agrees, expounds, or just otherwise comments, perhaps we can keep the wack-a-doodle posts off the front page.

Jus' sayin'...

salliezoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
(Big Island) Hawaii
Excellent topic and the truth that separates atheists and agnostics from the... ummm... faithful (for lack of a better, more descriptive but less polite word). Now, if everyone agrees, expounds, or just otherwise comments, perhaps we can keep the wack-a-doodle posts off the front page.

Jus' sayin'...

Agreed Scottitude. Part of the problem is that not all of us are able to see AV posts listed under "Today's Posts." I...for one...can only see the AV posts when I comment or post myself.. and then they will show up under "My Posts". But thats it. If I want to see if anyone else is posting, I have to go directly to the AV forum page. I can see other social forum posts, just not AVs. Its very bizarre.

I discussed it with Angus, and he says it has something to do with "coding" when they made the changeover. Unfortunately, they can't really fix it until their updated system is complete. By that time, of course, no social groups posts will appear on the main page because they are in the process of fixing that problem now. Sort of a catch 22.

I also think that some AV members prefer having their posts private and limited to members only. They are simply waiting until the problem of public postings is resolved. While its not a problem for me, I certainly can understand their reasoning for coming to that decision. Sometimes it just not worth dealing with the level of feedback from the trollers.

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
I want to join. A return to sanity is too good to be true. I would like it to be public the same as CV forum. When it's hidden nobody seems to comment or join. Just look at the post count on the CV when it was "members only", pretty pathetic. Now that its out in the open there is a lot more activity.

salliezoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
(Big Island) Hawaii
I want to join. A return to sanity is too good to be true. I would like it to be public the same as CV forum. When it's hidden nobody seems to comment or join. Just look at the post count on the CV when it was "members only", pretty pathetic. Now that its out in the open there is a lot more activity.

That's the way I feel too, but I have gotten some private feedback from a couple of AV members regarding posts being public and I can see a certain justification to their opinion on this. It is simply a waste of time to argue with the die-hard christian religious folks. Atheists rely on logic and facts in any discussion or debate...no matter what topic that discussion might be about. It's just not an even playing field when you are dealing with someone who just seems incapable of using logic when it comes to religious issues. Its like two people speaking different languages...and getting nowhere. And it takes some stamina to put up with the ranting (not to mention the biblical verses mumbo jumbo).

Many of their postings are simply long lists of biblical verses...regurgitations of the same old thing. (Or they may be writing a new bible over there, I'm not sure). Atheists don't have these sorts of things to post and none of us follow a particular creed so our posts will always remain far fewer. One shouldn't confuse quantity with quality. We are a diverse group whose only common factor is that we don't believe in the supernatural. And what we do agree or disagree on is a discussion based on facts and logic. Some members simply choose to keep it that way.

And I don't fault them for that at all. I was just hoping to find a few folks who were less concerned about privacy and more willing to ignore a few annoying interruptions along the way.

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
Got my new signature up, thanks Dawkins. I watched a show the other night where this woman told how she was raised Lutheran (I think) but in her adulthood came to be an atheists. The funny part was, she said she reserves the right to change her mind because, you know, what if a clear cut miracle happened right in front of her that she couldn't deny. We should all keep an open mind, never say never and this holds true for all sides and points of view.

salliezoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
(Big Island) Hawaii
Really, think about staying public. The mod over at CV has been discussing it w/the members there and they want to stay public too. When it was members only, check it out, dead thread.

Its not up to me or it would be. It was originally set up at ECF that all social groups would be private and their posts would not show up under "Today's Posts". It ended up as it is now by accident. A glitch in the system when the site was upgraded. Once that problem is resolved, it will go back to the way it was. We really don't have a choice in the matter.

The CVs were given a choice to have a password for privacy because there were many complaints by other regular ECF members. They didn't feel they should have to have to wade thru hundreds of CVs posts to find vaping related topics. It is, after all, supposed to be an ecig site. Others who complained, simply found the titles of their posts offensive or just plain weird. My personal concern was that the sheer number their posts might turn off people who came to ECF seeking ecig info. I didn't want it to appear that it was just a bunch of religious zealots in here. To their credit, the administrators were trying to find a way to come to a compromise that would satisfy everyone. It didn't work, of course. The CVs enjoy nothing more than the opportunity to proselytize. I'm sure you noticed that in their response.

So, that's where it stands. And I am not the moderator of the AV group either. So, definitely not my place to enter into that decision at all. I only just recently joined and was curious to see if there were any active members still interested in exchanging posts.

Anyway, it is my understanding that at some point, it will go back to the way it was. That doesn't mean non-group members will not be able to read posts at social group forums and I believe the AV group is open to non-member comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread