• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Atheist/Agnostic Vids Worth Watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooody

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
Australia
I’ve always loved this one. Please note, this was part of a series “John Safran Versus God”, where John questioned the very foundation of nearly all religions, their philosophy and theology in an amusing way, and while us atheists where feeling snug, he ends his series with this:

YouTube - You're too stupid to be an atheist.

Don’t take it personally, it’s an ironic sense of humor. I did try to tackle that book, brief history of time…and yes, struggled with the first chapter, and never progressed from there. Thankfully, Richard Dawkins has tackled it differently from a biological point of view, rather then a physicist’s.

Though at times, I do feel too stupid to be an atheist. lol

Last edited:

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
I'm too stupid to be an atheist but I'm too smart to believe in any religion. Why do they always insist that one must explain how life began? Or how the world could be without a God? How can they believe in an all loving God when they see the incredibly cruel things that happen in nature? It always amazes me when they start pointing out the beauty of life and ignore death, and the very way the earth evolves. They see the suffering and deaths of millions of people and animals as? It seems they cannot see the ugly side of the workings of nature. I see it all as a giant perpetual motion machine, possibly created by a psycotic deviant. We have to enjoy what we are, and what we ghave in this life, not some idiotic dream of angels and paradise.

In my opinion atheists are just as "dumb" as Catholics.
Neither groups are stupid, unless we're talking stereotypes I suppose.

To believe in a man in the sky that hands down blocks of rules is dumb.
To believe that just because the major religions of the world sound stupid that there is no possibility for intelligent design is dumb as well.

"The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad"

Aizen-sama

Verified Member
Feb 25, 2010
New Jersey
First, I wouldn't claim that there is absolutely no possibility for intelligent design. I'd say that it is highly, highly unlikely. The probability of there being a designer or a guiding intelligence in nature is on par with the probability of there being a magical man that flies around the world once a year to deliver presents to good children and coal to bad children. Not impossible per se, but highly improbable.

Also, there is no evidence to suggest that intelligence can exist outside of the physical world, nor is there any particularly compelling reason to believe that it could. To the best of our knowledge, sentient intelligence exists as a result of a lengthy natural process called evolution by natural selection.

The illusion of design in nature is persistent because people have a tendency to anthropomorphize the universe. Besides, what is it about the universe that suggests design to you, exactly? Is it the vestigial organs found in myriad species? The cruel caprice of nature? Is it the precarious orbit of our planet around the sun? The sheer randomness of the universe in general? Colliding galaxies? Black holes? Exploding suns?

Frankly, if there is a designer, he is incompetent and should be out of a job--especially in this economy.

I'm too stupid to be an atheist but I'm too smart to believe in any religion. Why do they always insist that one must explain how life began? Or how the world could be without a God? How can they believe in an all loving God when they see the incredibly cruel things that happen in nature? It always amazes me when they start pointing out the beauty of life and ignore death, and the very way the earth evolves. They see the suffering and deaths of millions of people and animals as? It seems they cannot see the ugly side of the workings of nature. I see it all as a giant perpetual motion machine, possibly created by a psycotic deviant. We have to enjoy what we are, and what we ghave in this life, not some idiotic dream of angels and paradise.

I agree mostly, but what says atheists have to be real geniuses?
Atheism has nothing to do with evolution either.

It's really simple...
Do you believe in a god?

If the answer is NO, then you're an atheist.

Piece of cake.

ZorbaTheGreek

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
I thought this was an interesting watch. As an atheist, I find it hard to believe in any paranormal phenomena. But everyone you know has their story, about how their aunt had a dream your dog would get hit by a bus, and then it happened! These never struck me even remotely as legitimate testimony for anything unusual happening. This video talks about how very very likely, extremely unlikely things will happen all the time when you're dealing with a sample of 6billion.

YouTube - It *could* just be coincidence!

jennlsnoopy

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Spokane, Wa
www.myspace.com
I thought this was an interesting watch. As an atheist, I find it hard to believe in any paranormal phenomena. But everyone you know has their story, about how their aunt had a dream your dog would get hit by a bus, and then it happened! These never struck me even remotely as legitimate testimony for anything unusual happening. This video talks about how very very likely, extremely unlikely things will happen all the time when you're dealing with a sample of 6billion.

YouTube - It *could* just be coincidence!

Very interesting video. I remember a lot of that from my stats class in college. Very true!

theopold

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
San Jose, CA
Also, there is no evidence to suggest that intelligence can exist outside of the physical world...

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes regarding this general subject. It's from A. O. Lovejoy, courtesy of the "Oxford History of Western Philosophy":

"The primary and most universal faith of Man [is] his inexpugnable realism, his twofold belief that he is on the one hand in the midst of realities which are not himself nor mere obsequious shadows of himself, a world which transcends the narrow confines of his own transient being; and on the other hand that he can himself somehow read beyond those confines and bring those external existences within the compass of his own life yet without annulment of their transcendence."

Or, as Albert Camus put it in "The Myth of Sisyphus":

"To a man devoid of blinders, there is no finer sight than that of the intelligence at grips with a reality that transcends it."

Oh, and please forgive the unseemly hubris but...as fate would have it, I am sadly NOT too stupid to be an atheist. Which is to say, when in the throes of existential angst who among us has not, if only occasionally perhaps, wished that it were otherwise?

BengalBacker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2009
Dayton Ohio
Hey guys, just joined this subforum. Also just sent a request for my name to be changed to BengalBacker, which is the name I've used for years everywhere else, so I'll be BengalBacker instead of vapor trail soon, hopefully.

Anyway.

These are youtube links, but they're audio only, so if you're doing something around the house and just want to listen, I found them very entertaining and, the problems she has with religion are the same things that always bothered me.

I actually just saw the video version of this on, I think Showtime2 the other night and the video version is definitely better than just the audio, but this is all I found to post. It's an actress/comedian named Julia Sweeney and it's called "Letting go of God". It's long, but as I said, entertaining. Just click the "play all videos" on both links. I'm sure everyone will relate to it.

Part 1

Part 2

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
To believe that just because the major religions of the world sound stupid that there is no possibility for intelligent design is dumb as well.

I realize this is a months-old post, but this is a pet peeve of mine:

Ignoring all other species and just focusing on humans: If we were the product of intelligent design we wouldn't have colds or pneumonia. The human respiratory system works great - if we walked on all fours like other mammals. Since we walk upright, fluids build up and drain down into the lungs, causing pneumonia. That's just one example of how the human body really isn't very well put together. A better design would have prevented respiratory problems. Any decent mechanical engineer could come up with dozens of ways to improve the human body, make it stronger, make it longer lasting, make it more resistant to disease and infection and damage. The idea that we're somehow the pinnacle of perfection just because we dominate the scene deliberately ignores our many shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread