Aspire Puxus Mod and the Nautilus 2S Head to Head against a Radius and a Kabuki Review and thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Please note: This equipment was graciously sent to me by Aspire for review purposes. I will shoot for impartiality, but let’s face it, the N2 was my quitting tank. So, I’m never going to knock the N2. With that said, the Aspire N2S was NOT my quitting tank. So I think I can shoot for impartiality with the N2S although I will say it is WAY BETTER than the N2.

Aspire one.jpg

The title sounds unfair, doesn’t it? It does, right? Setting the flavor machine SUPER expensive tank designed by an insane genius in the USA against the makers of said coil? The cheap, inexpensive little tank made by Chinese manufacturers who COULD and DID design the coil itself?

Same thing for the mod. The Radius, the LAST gasp of Provape and part of the cult following of DNA mods against the Puxus mod? SURELY you jest.

Well, prepare to be surprised, amazed, and even at times, shocked.

I’m going to start with the easier part. The mod itself. First of all, when I took out the Puxus mod it was so tiny and small I thought, “Did I just get sent a nice looking wallet holder, there is NO WAY the thing takes a battery, not even a triple A battery let alone a 21700 or an 18650 battery with adapter?” Well, I actually had those batteries, so I tested them out. I was wrong. The mod appears to be a black hole. Not only does it accept them, somehow the weight of the mod is so little, they get less heavy after installation.

In the box:

· 1 Puxos 100W Box Mod
· 1 Micro USB Cable
· 1 18650 Battery Adapter
· 1 Warning Card
· 1 User Manual

· 1 Warranty Card

I decided to leave my red Samsung 21700 in there. It was a comfortable fit. The mod also has a rather cleverly designed 18650 sleeve that is designed so that you can easily get the sleeve on OR off, and the smaller battery felt snug as a rug, just as snug as the larger battery. Easy installation is always nice.
Aspire two.jpg

Other features and Specs:

• Dimensions: 3-5/16" x 1-5/8" x 1-1/16"
  • Spring Loaded 510 Contact Pin
  • Wattage Range: 1.0W - 100.0W (20700/21700)
  • Wattage Range: 1.0W - 80.0W (18650)
  • Temperature Control: Nickel 200, Titanium, Stainless Steel 316 and TCR
  • Temperature Control Range: 200 - 600F / 100 - 315C
  • Resistance Range: 0.1ohm - 3.5ohm
  • Customizable Power Settings for Preheat Function (CPS)
  • 0.96" OLED Display Screen
  • Magnetic Front and Back Panels
  • Lightweight Design
  • Micro USB Charging Port
  • Automatic Cut Off
  • Short Circuit Protection

So, that’s all the mod stuff it does. It does stuff. When they say this mod is lightweight, they are NOT kidding. It weighed so little and somehow was well balanced enough that even with the battery in there, it still felt astonishingly light. It was like the disappearing battery or something.

Mine came in a sort of black and white patterned color, which was a good pairing on Aspire’s part with the Silver N2S. The black and while look really nice against the silver grey of the Nautilus 2S.

Should you disagree with me, you are welcome to purchase separate mod covers (they are magnetic and the magnets are pretty strong but there is a little “pry here” area, making stuff easier) you have your choice of 13 other colors and designs that can be purchased separately. If you want your mod to match your shoes type of person, I guess this could be for you, I am NOT that person but I do like to know if I catastrophically damaged the doors (my first thought on feeling them) I could replace them instead of duct taping a tear or whatever, which always can make one FEEL so bad.
Aspire together.jpg

The reason I considered it is, in all fairness, the doors felt a little weird to me. IDK, mine was a sort of accordion-like spongy feeling material that I assume is super lightweight and used for space travel or whatever. It felt a bit weird to me at first. However, I actually put this mod through it’s paces. I did not throw it, but I dropped it deliberately. (A bit hard to do, honestly.) I tipped it over on its side and made it surf around in my purse for a week, etc. The doors held up fine and they won’t pop off by accident. Once you get used to it, it’s rather pleasant to grip. If you are clumsy like me, well, it’s actually nice to grip. It doesn’t get slippery and fall through your fingers.

The fire button is sort of squishy too. It looks like this sort of soft plastic or rubber. I liked the fire button feel, but well, if you like a hard fire button this one probably isn’t for you.

To compare, I don’t even know how old my Radius IS. I bought it used. I have dropped it a lot and it has never missed a beat but it’s a lot heavier and has less functions like temp control and whatnot, and it certainly doesn’t accept different types of battery. The fire button is harder. It’s a consistent mod. I got coffee in it once, and it was fine once it dried out. I was not going to even ATTEMPT such action with the Puxus because I’m not even a reviewer let alone one who wants to destroy mods “just because.” Really, if your mod gets coffee in it and survives, that’s unexpected. It shouldn’t be an expectation.

The vape from the mod was smooth and pleasant. I had no issues switching between modes, locking it and etc. The lock didn’t have issues and that’s nice for pockets and like, purse surfing which this mod did plenty of this week with no ill effects. So things were good there.

My Radius fares better in the turn on/off department. I mean, sometimes it takes ME a few minutes to press all the buttons right and long enough to get it to turn on/off. It’s definitely not going to come on in my purse. So, as far as testing longevity though, I’d have to get back to you in a few years. Don’t expect me to do that. But for how lightweight the Puxos is, it is actually very well constructed.

The Radius is WAY heavier. I’m serious about the vanishing battery compartment the Puxos weighs nothing. Great for out and about and it never turned on in my purse all week, and believe me I was deliberately not careful. It’s called fairness, people.

So, other than that, I suppose temp control works. I mean I did like I do with all my temp control mods and input my settings, and never hit temp protect because I like a very cool vape. You will have to look elsewhere for some temp genius to tell you if it’s great or awful. But my sense is, Aspire doesn’t do a bad job with it, and certainly way better than the Radius which doesn’t even understand what temp control is, it just sits there looking at you blankly while you yell, “Titanium head, damnit it!” Etc. The vape quality from the Radius is probably better in wattage mode but not by a vast amount and this mod is a lot more versatile.

Here are my two setups, in a head to head, grudge match competition. Sorry about the photo. Heh.

Head to head.jpg
Apire tank.jpg

Okay. So, the N2S is a LOVELY looking tank. Here it is:

Aspire Nautilus 2S Tank Specs:
  • Threading: 510
  • E-Juice Capacity: 2.6ML
  • Body Material: Stainless Steel
  • Tank Material: Pyrex Glass
  • Diameter 25mm
  • New Coil head options (0.4 ohm coil, 0.7 ohm mesh coil) BVC coils

There are lots of colors available (including rainbow) but I got a Stainless Steel tank, which is actually my favorite look for this thing. There’s a wide juice viewing window, the whole thing has been sort of redesigned for elegance, and there are two drip tips. One is longer and kind of flute shaped, while the other is short and stubby. I definitely prefer the longer drip tip although my guess is the shorter one (not metal so it can’t heat up as fast) is designed for some of the other coils. The nice long drip tip with the fluted end is really the bomb, to be honest. I mean, it’s excellent and when I tried it on some other tanks, I liked it a lot. I wouldn’t mind five spares and I might look to see if they sell it separately. The other drip tip was fine, but I am such a MTL person. You know.

This tank looks elegant compared to the Nautilus two, it’s a MUCH easier top fill, and it’s actually a quite clever design. You have to unscrew it some. Then, there is a place indicated where you push, and the top slides sideways. It’s kind of like the Ares tank, only since you have to screw and unscrew a bit first, it’s not going to leak on you if seated the wrong way in your pocket, or just loosen and you can’t take it anywhere. So, that design was clever. I was impressed.

If you are into top filling, not bottom filling, well this is one place where the N2S shines. You don’t have to flip it over or anything and (IMHO) Nautilus coils are pretty good longevity wise. It’s just easier than the N2 where you have to take the dang dome off every time you want to fill and some of the time (if you are me) you unseat the tank, causing leaks, and/or you break the tank. (In my case.)

The whole design is bigger, which means you get a 2.6 capacity instead of oh, whatever the N2 original was, more or less. I’m going to say about 1.7. The window and the whole tank is bigger. It doesn’t heat up as fast.
Topfil system.jpg

Where the N2S does NOT shine, (nor did the N2) is in coil change activity. I still have nightmares of when coils got lodged in the N2 chimney and I had to deal with THAT. I was like, “Surely it will have been addressed.”

In my innocence (I was playing with the tank without looking at anything much for my review) I sort of automatically got it somewhat unscrewed (the base) and then flipped it over. I did read the user manual on the tank but it lacked a bit of clarity. I mean… In any case, I flipped upside down out of habit and like, e-liquid spilled on my pants and then I had to like, deal. I wasn’t happy.

So yes indeed I realized this was one large FLAW in design that had not been fixed and I unscrewed the dome. Coil changes actually suck HARDER in this tank than in the N2. Because the glass is bigger, and so if there’s any liquid left in the tank (in my case, due to reviewing, there was) well, I had to get pliers and oh-so-gently unscrew the coil from the top without breaking the glass, and then screw in a new one. There may well be a method/fashion for removing the glass but believe me when I say I wasn’t going to try. The next tankful, I had a BIT easier time except for oh, yes, great, guess what? The freaking OLD coil was stuck in the dome. I broke it getting it out.

I will say I would bottom fill a Kabuki five hundred times in order to avoid the annoyances of the N2S coil changing system. However, for those with a top fill romance (I have a lot of bottom fill tanks I still use) it may not be a deal breaker. It probably wouldn’t be except I was changing coils all the time for this review.

I will say, the Innoken Zenith (which would be a main competitor for this tank) not only top fills, you can change your coil with total ease, from the bottom and it’s super easy. Aspire should really fix this—unless they can’t. IDK. Maybe there is something about the bell shape and overall design where they can’t. I mean, I don’t ASSUME vape designers set out to annoy me on purpose.

It really brought back nightmares. Once my coil is burnt and any liquid left will be discarded, maybe I will feel better about it. IDK.
small drip tip..jpg

The other really annoying thing about this tank is the airflow is pretty neat. Kind of more variable and easily adjusted.

However, if you take off the airflow ring by accident (I did this twice, both times I changed the coil. I probably wouldn’t again now I know how it “works”) well, good luck with one of the O-rings. It is large in diameter but about the size of a silk filament or if I am being charitable, a hair. You will need that 0-ring if you want the airflow ring to stay on. The first time, I moved it and it was annoyingly hard to reseat. The second time, it snapped. There was only one spare and well, I put it on and my advice is “Don’t mess with or accidentally remove the airflow ring as you will be sorry.” With that said, I do suck at that kind of stuff. I’m sure you could get one the right size and a little more substantial but I’m not sure it would seat. I do think more than one should be included, but I think that about each and every O-ring.

Compare that to the Kabuki’s airflow and well, there are those that make fun of the Allen key airflow adjustment, but for me, “Set and forget” most of the time works for me. With that said, I only run the 1.6 coil in my Kabukis mostly because it’s my favorite coil. It only ACCEPTS the 1.8 and 1.6 coils anyway. At least, my versions do. I will say I have never needed to change the O rings in my Kabukis but I have done it occasionally for kicks and they are way more durable than Aspire’s. Etc.

So, moving on to the vape itself. I was pleasantly surprised. With the 1.8 coil you can go from a fairly restricted, hard draw to a lovely, airy, sort of plumy vape (which is my preference but I’m sort of an airier MTL vaper now.) The flavor is really good. In fact, in fairness to my Kabuki I actually had to change the coil to a new 1.8 coil to compare. They’re different—the Kabuki can deliver what I would describe as a somewhat “meatier, substantial” vape, but the flavor was good in both tanks, just different. With the 1.8 coil the Nautilus provides an airier, gentler vape, but the flavor is very nuanced. It’s a lovely MTL vape, period. For the price, I would have no hesitations recommending the N2S for flavor alone despite it’s other foibles and flaws. The vape is fantastic especially for the price. Much as I love the Kabukis and their solid, substantial no frills design, if you are looking for a beautiful tank that vapes well, I have no hesitation recommending the N2S.

It’s also far better looking than the Zenith tank, which I would consider to be its main competitor. Capacity is less in the N2S and the more complicated top fill could be an area where the tank may falter over time. The Zenith is more substantial and heavier. But for a truly good looking MTL tank with great flavor, the N2S truly shines. It’s simply lovely in design.

For the purposes of the review, I was sent some of the new 0.7 mesh coils to review. I vaped them for several days. I do think they provide good flavor, I preferred them to the Zenith mesh coils, and they also were surpassingly good at generating vapor. They can be vaped at higher wattages easily, and were able to give what I would call a restricted lung hit. So far, their longevity has been better than any other mesh coils on the market I have tried. I think Aspire is continuing to have a clear niche in the MTL market with their coil. I also believe the N2S truly fixes many of the problems that happened with the Nautilus 2 tank, and have created a very functional, usable top fill tank that really is only an issue during coil changes.

Is there a clear winner? I don’t know. I will say this, I haven’t taken my N2S or Puxus mod out of rotation since I got them, and I vape them frequently. I no longer vape N2s but I will likely vape the equipment I received from Aspire for some time to come. Together, they both provide an excellent vaping experience.

The question I have for Aspire is, why hasn’t the N2S taken off? I think it may be due to a few reasons, and one would be including the 0.7 mesh coil with the N2S tank. It’s a better MTL mesh coil than any I have tried, and it would allow the N2S to compete in the market more easily. I had not heard of the mesh coil until my review. It should be a MAJOR selling point.

While in some ways I hate the idea…. The N2 had many, many problems that turned a lot of folks against the tank. The lack of capacity, the fiddly fill system, the list goes on. While I understand a Nautilus is a Nautilus calling something the N2S is going to turn a lot of folks off (it can also be hard to differentiate.)

If Aspire wants to sell this tank, they need to do something to distinguish it from its (dumber) younger brother. The two tanks really are not alike. Not in vape quality, not in coils, and not in most areas. The improvements are vast. Aspire needs to find a way to showcase their new tank’s talents because it is definitely worth a look, and a vape.
Apire together.jpg

I'm sure you can get it many places but you can visit Aspire's USA distributors HERE:
ASPIRE Vape Co - ASPIRE's Official Partner in the USA

Maybe they'll hold a renaming contest and even smash a (smaller) bottle of champagne across its bow. IDK. I wouldn't mind a video of that.

And finally your friendly reviewer says Have a Great Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread