Aspire Proteus Neo E-Hookah Head Review By Frenkyou

Frenkyou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 26, 2019
    italy
    www.svapo.it
    Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-1.jpg

Hello, today let's take a look at the Aspire Proteus Neo. In this Test I will examine each of the characteristics that distinguish this item. I hope that at the end of this reading you can understand this product, and therefore decide whether to invest in it or not. As always, my opinions are free and based on my personal experience.
    • Enjoy the reading.

► Aspire Proteus Neo; Before starting, let's see together some special features indicated by the manufacturer:

• Revolutionary electronic hookah system
    • Mesh coil for high performance
    • Huge e-liquid capacity
    • Lasts longer, charges faster
    • Adjustable top airflow
    • Instant automatic activation
    • Maximum fun with friends or family

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-2.jpg

► Aspire Proteus Neo; Packaging:
    The cardboard packaging has generous dimensions and this suggests a rather large device inside. On the front side of the box you can see; the Aspire logo, the color indication of this device, the image of the Proteus Neo and the inscription "Proteus Neo Technology Incredible Experience". On the back of the package you can see; The packing list, warnings, manufacturer's support addresses, batch number, color indications, barcodes, logos and statutory trademarks. On the side profile of the pack there are; the inscription "Proteus Neo Technology Incredible Experience" and the main features in the form of icons.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-3.jpg

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-4.jpg

► Aspire Proteus Neo; Packing List:
    • 1x Proteus Neo E-hookah Head
    • 1x Proteus Neo Tank (25ml)
    • 1x Proteus Neo Meshed Coil 0.17Ω (Pre-installed)
    • 2x Silicone Adapters
    • 1x USB Type C cable
    • 1x User Manual

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-5.jpg

► Aspire Proteus Neo; Specifications:
    • Dimensions: Height 109mm, Diameter 72mm
    • Weight: 345 grams
    • Maximum power: 80W
    • Battery: Integrated 5700mAh
    • Tank capacity: 25ml with top refill
    • Automatic Activation
    • 2A Type C charging

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-6.jpg

► Aspire Proteus Neo; Available colours:
    • Black
    • White
    • Red
    • Blue
    • Green

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-7.jpg

► Aspire Proteus Neo; First Impressions:
    The idea of combining a vaporizer with a hookah container is not new as many reviewers say, in reality the project for such a combination dates back to 2015 again by Aspire which has always proved to be an innovator in the world of Vape. After almost 9 years, the "Proteus" project appears to have improved in several aspects, both technical and stylistic. In the image below you can easily understand the gigantic dimensions of this new device which is compared to a common dual battery kit.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-8.jpg

The device that was sent to me for testing is green in colour; green as my hope everything is working fine. The large cylindrical body of Proteus Neo is covered with a rubbery layer with texture of vertical lines, the rubbery surface offers a pleasant tactile feedback, however the device will not have to be handled for a long time to be used, it will simply have to be positioned at the top than a common Hookah.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-9.jpg

Aspire Proteus Neo E-Hookah is powered by a huge built-in 5700mAh battery that is rechargeable through a USB Type-C 2A port. There are no activation buttons on the Proteus Neo body because its operation is 100% automatic. Above the charging port is the Aspire logo. The word Aspire together with its perimeter lights up during use, in fact this is a signaling LED in all respects and works as follows:
    • When inserting or removing the Tank, the LED light flashes white
    • Red light; Charge between 0-30%. The battery level is shown during activation and during charging.
    • Blue light; Charge between 30-60%. The battery level is shown during activation and during charging.
    • Green light; Charge between 60-100%. The battery level is shown during activation and during charging.
    • When the device has reached 100% charge you can unplug the power cord and the LED light will flash green 3 times

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-10.jpg

The ASP chipset offers all the necessary measures for a safe vape:
    • Over-time protection (8s): The LED light flashes red and blue 10 times and the device turns off
    • Short circuit protection: The LED light flashes red and blue 3 times and the device stops dispensing
    • Low voltage protection: The LED light flashes red 15 times
    • Overcharge protection: When the device reaches 100% charge the light flashes green 20 times
    • Overheat protection: The LED light stays yellow for 3 seconds and the device turns off
    • Over voltage protection: When the charge is abnormal, the device stops delivering

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-11.jpg

Examining the upper part of Proteus Neo I expected to find a common Drip Tip in the center of the tank, in reality I found myself in front of an adjustable and raised airflow control system. Then you can adjust the two slots by turning the wheel either to the right or to the left. I could also use the device as if it were a mug of beer... However this is not the best way to use the Proteus Neo.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-12.jpg

The tank offers an impressive 25ml capacity with a convenient top fill system. The filling hole is protected by a silicone grommet. Aspire recommends carrying out the filling operations by detaching the Tank from the Mod, however I must admit that most of the time I fill the tank leaving it positioned on the mod, I see no contraindications in doing this. You don't have to fill the tank completely, you can add even just a few ml of liquid to the tank and you won't run the risk of dry shots. When you change fluid you can wash the tank by removing the coil.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-13.jpg

The pod compartment has inside a metal ring held in place by 4 screws, the metal ring offers the necessary magnetism to firmly hold the tank in the correct position. In the center there are the two contact pins, while the sensor for the automatic puff is well hidden, protected from condensation. The huge 25ml tank features 4 strong magnets, and comes with a sticker placed on the coil to prevent accidental activation during storage before purchase. Of course the adhesive must be removed before using the Proteus Neo for the first time.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-14.jpg

The Proteus Neo Meshed Coil 0.17Ω (Pre-installed) fits into the Tank with a simple pressure, the maximum power that Proteus Neo can reach with this coil is approximately 80W. Currently this is the only coil available for Proteus Neo. Aspire recommends the use of VG-PG 70/30 E-liquid for this Coil.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-15.jpg

A necessary expedient is to occasionally clean the compartment/tank from possible condensate residues, the operation is easy and quick considering the enormous space available for effectively rubbing the absorbent cloth.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-16.jpg

In the Proteus Neo package there are two rubber fittings having different sizes to adapt perfectly to most of the Hookah Kits available on the market. In the lower part of Proteus Neo you can insert one of these adapters depending on the type of Hookah you will use.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-17.jpg

In order to carry out this test, I bought a Hookah Kit. If you don't have a Hookah available, you can contact me and I'll tell you exactly which Hookah I bought.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-18.jpg

► Aspire Proteus Neo; Vaping Test & Final Conclusions:
    For this Test I used one of my favorite E-liquids; TOB Tropical VG-PG 70-30 with 3mg/ml of Nic. The first question that naturally arose to ask myself was this; but how will the steam come out of the almost 180 cm pipe of my hookah? The second question was; but will the taste be good? I can say that the result was far above my highest expectations ... Incredibly, the amount of vapor that comes out of this long tube is more than abundant and the flavor is absolutely in line with the average of pre-made head vaporizers that I usually use DL/RDL for vaping. Aspire Proteus Neo offers the right balance between flavor and vapor production. Certainly the steam after such a long journey does not arrive hot in the mouth, it arrives rather cold, however for some this could even be another point in favor of Proteus Neo. The air regulation system is usable without interrupting the vape and can be adjusted wide for DL, but also narrow enough to achieve a contrasted RDL hit. The huge 5,700Mah battery manages the 80W of power for a long time, allowing you to spend pleasant evenings in the company of friends or with your family. With this new device you will be able to immerse yourself in its immense clouds of vapor and you will be able to enjoy an experience very similar to that of traditional hookahs. Aspire Proteus Neo E-Hookah will transport you to the discovery of the e-Hookah, have fun!

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-19.jpg

I would like to thank Aspire for providing me with the kit. I hope this review has been helpful for anyone looking to purchase the Proteus Neo.

Thanks for reading.

Aspire-Proteus-Neo-E-Hookah-Head-20.jpg

Polkhigh33

Sep 7, 2023
    Hi from germany!

Your review basically convinced me to get the Proteus Neo myself, thanks for sharing it :) Mine arrived 2 days ago, and after some hours of testing I decided to register on this forum and share my experiences with it, since I'm vaping for 4 years, but also tend to smoke shisha tobacco frequently.

Starting off with the positives:
    - Its easy and intuitive to set the system up. Which is good, since the user manual is fontsize 0,5.
    - The prebuilt coils are built very well. 4 huge liquid holes and the cotton is not as stiff as in many other mesh coils around, resulting in a fast liquid transport even for thick 90/10 juices. Those coils are gonna last long I assume.
    - Coils are manufactured in the usual press fit way, isolating the the positive and the negative end with some rubber. Which means, if youre crafty, you can take the cotton and mesh out, clean the mesh, replace the cotton and give that coil another round. Or possibly even build a custom one inside that coil shell.
    - The responsiveness is fast and accurate, and that device packs a ....in punch for 80 watts max. Easily fills a premium sized hookah within the first draw.
    - The airflow is spot-on, it matches the restriction of a pretty wide hookah like the Aeon ones fairly well if its fully open.
    - Flavor is absolutely ridiculous for that travel distance. After a couple of tests I stuck to my GreenRocks - Grateful Grape juice at 80/20 with 3mg nicotine/ml, since grape mint is also my favorite shisha tobacco. That device nails it, feels pretty darn close to the leafy stuff. Perfect immersion. And taste is on par with what I'm getting out of my aromamizers.

On to the negatives:
    - Due to the nature of a draw responsive vape device, it keeps blasting for the whole duration of your draw. And since youre not using the whole bowl capacity for your draw, Vapor builds up and gets dense inside of it. Which is no biggie for a traditional hookah, since you tinker around with the heat and draw intensity to regulate the vapor production. The electronic head however keeps pumping, and the second draw hits like a ....in truck if you dont purge your bowl after the first draw. Which is not a big deal, but I think they couldve solved it by going for a regulated instead of a bypass electronic. I'd love to turn down the throughput by 25% allowing for long ... draws without so much excessive vapor buildup. To solve this, I plan on building a 0.25 ish vertical coil inside that coil shell. But going down with the nicotine and flavour concentration could also do the trick.
    - I intentionally killed a coilhead for testing purposes by resting it with a cotton-devouring kanzi type liquid. Just to see how a dryhit announces itself. Theory was that the increased travel distance makes the dryhit less immediate. Screw that one. Its exactly the same instant death type experience which mesh dryhits are infamous for. As I stated in the pro's, this device is very fast and powerful.

So all in all, for 50-60ish bucks this is a steal deal and I'm seriously considering not restocking my shisha tobacco. Just alone due to the fact that the divice offers a very similar performance while being so much easier to get going and not having to clean everything up etc. after each session.

Thanks again for sharing this device!

psymax

Nov 13, 2023
    Thank you for the in-depth review. I have two questions for those who already used the device:

1. How is the liquid consumption? E.g. if I use it for an hour like a normal shisha how many ml would it take approximately?
    2. How long will one coil last? How many ml of liquid approximately? I smoke shisha but I am not really into the E-Cigarette game so I would like to know.

Many thanks in advance!

Reactions: Frenkyou

Frenkyou

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 26, 2019
    italy
    www.svapo.it
    Thank you for the in-depth review. I have two questions for those who already used the device:

1. How is the liquid consumption? E.g. if I use it for an hour like a normal shisha how many ml would it take approximately?
    2. How long will one coil last? How many ml of liquid approximately? I smoke shisha but I am not really into the E-Cigarette game so I would like to know.

Many thanks in advance!
    Hi, the liquid consumption is quite high when using sub-ohm coils, it is reasonable to expect a consumption of 5/6ml if you use the device for an hour compulsively. the life of the coils depends a lot on the type of e-liquid you will use, there are e-liquids that are cotton killers, while there are delicate e-liquids that allow you to consume 100ml and even more.

Users who are viewing this thread