Apex Vapor Alpha Information Page; Have Questions, Concerns, Suggestions, New Product Requests, or Want to Ask N8T the Alpha engineer a question? Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
thank you!!!! got it!!
whoa.........i'm so glad i noticed that piece fall from my lap to the floor!

Good to hear its working for you now. A word of caution. If you do not have an atomizer attached do not push the battery contact too far up or it will push that small brass atomizer contact completely out of the switch housing. I am assuming that is what happened in your case. So just be careful if you are taking your switch out for cleaning, etc.

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
how does the juice from the ceramic wick get on my atomizer to vape? I see a couple small holes on the inside metal of the ceramic piece.........but still........I don't understand (& my husband the troubleshooter) isn't here to ask.

I got like 5 good hits, which i'm betting are from what I dripped directly on the atomizer.......... but then it was dry/burned hits.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Basically, if I understand it correctly, when you take a hit the air is entering the RES through the holes near the top of the unit. This air then passes through the ceramic wick and into the atomizer from the bottom (through the little holes around the atty connector), pulling juice with it all the way, hence the gurgling sound

There's definitely quite a learning curve on the RES unit. I still can't get a consistently good vape, I seem to be flooding the atomizer a bit very often (I keep overfilling it), but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I've only used it for a few hours in total so far. When I get it vaping good it's awesome, so it's looking like it'll be well worth all the trial and error in figuring out how best to adjust my vaping style once I get there

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Killjoy1 has it exactly right. The liquid gets stored in the microscopic pores of the ceramic. When you take a drag off the unit, it forces air through the holes in the top of the RES. It moves through the ceramic and pushes the liquid out of the pores and down to the bottom where it moves through the holes into the bottom of the atomizer. There definitely is a sweet spot for everyone. It simply takes time to figure out exactly where yours is. Don't give up and soon you will find yours, and then you will be in vaping heaven.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
There definitely is a sweet spot for everyone. It simply takes time to figure out exactly where yours is. Don't give up and soon you will find yours, and then you will be in vaping heaven.

This statement is so true. I just found my "sweet spot" this evening :2cool: It was like somebody flipped a switch in my head and something in my vaping technique suddenly "clicked" and now I'm getting consistently good vapes off of it.
This whole RES thing does have quite the learning curve, but in my experience so do a lot of other bits of vaping gear. And as is usually the case it really is worth working through the rough spots in the end

Now that I can rely on consistent performance I can really start putting this bad boy through its paces :vapor:

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
This statement is so true. I just found my "sweet spot" this evening :2cool: It was like somebody flipped a switch in my head and something in my vaping technique suddenly "clicked" and now I'm getting consistently good vapes off of it.
This whole RES thing does have quite the learning curve, but in my experience so do a lot of other bits of vaping gear. And as is usually the case it really is worth working through the rough spots in the end

Now that I can rely on consistent performance I can really start putting this bad boy through its paces :vapor:

I'm happy to hear that you got it down and are really liking it now. That's the problem with most people, and why the Alphas don't have a super great reputation. Most people try it for an hour and if they can't figure it out by then they just assume its a crappy mod and give up. But if they would work through it like you did and find their "sweet spot" then they would understand just how great this mod is. Thanks for being one of the smart people and giving it a real shot.

goodsmilez

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2011
Malaysia
hi everyone.. I just got my ultramax few days ago...it is a truly wonderful mod..easy to operate but there is one thing that bothers me..even though the res is full of juice..i sometime cannot get the juice from the res to flow into the atty..i tried the cold drag without firing the switch and still get dry/burned hit...Sometime it just run perfectly...i can get the juice from the res to flow to the atty for each drag...it was nice to hear the gurgling sound because i know the juice is flowing...need help here so i can enjoy vaping my ultramax to the MAX..

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
hi everyone.. I just got my ultramax few days ago...it is a truly wonderful mod..easy to operate but there is one thing that bothers me..even though the res is full of juice..i sometime cannot get the juice from the res to flow into the atty..i tried the cold drag without firing the switch and still get dry/burned hit...Sometime it just run perfectly...i can get the juice from the res to flow to the atty for each drag...it was nice to hear the gurgling sound because i know the juice is flowing...need help here so i can enjoy vaping my ultramax to the MAX..

Have you tried cleaning out your atty. Attys get clogged and don't work properly after use. I would suggest cleaning it after about every 5mls of liquid to keep it hitting like new. That will also help the RES wick liquid into your atty.

goodsmilez

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2011
Malaysia
Have you tried cleaning out your atty. Attys get clogged and don't work properly after use. I would suggest cleaning it after about every 5mls of liquid to keep it hitting like new. That will also help the RES wick liquid into your atty.

just cleaned it.. still no use.. cant get the juice to flow right..

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Alright, I have had my ultramax for a while now... Overall I think its a good unit and I would buy one again.... maybe.

Ok- here is my beef with the unit, and props again to Nate and the rest of the guys for making a great product.

1. There are particles from the ceramic in the RES that get into the threads of the unit. This causes a grinding in the threads when you are screwing the res down, or the atomizer interface, or even the battery compartment, it really gets everywhere. Since the unit is aluminum this grinds down the threads, and eventually the atomizer threads were completely stripped out. This left me with the choice of either buying a whole new RES, or going with the cheaper atomizer only attachment, I bought the cheaper part. This brings me to point 2.

2. The RES is cool, and it does work... kind of. Basically you fill it and it keeps you going longer than normal, but there is no way you ever vape the entire 2 ml or whatever it is, because (this is my best guess) that its not a quantity thing with the tank, its a ratio of wet to dry in the tank that matters. I think if you vape the tank down to like 70% full, its stops supplying the liquid as easily, and this gets worse as you go, so you always need to keep it pretty full. It would be better if it were smaller and didn't take as much juice.

3. The plating on the outside of the unit completely wore away in a matter of months, its bare aluminum now. Aluminum is also nice and light, thats cool, but its soft, which is not good for the threads on this unit.

4. I dropped the ultramax and the ceramic in the tank shattered into 3 pieces. I was able to shove them back in there, but that means I really did not ever want to open it again.

5. Hopefully nothing to do with the unit but possibly the charger it came with... Batteries have a lifespan for about a month, then need to be replaced. Ive gone through probably 14 3.2v batteries and 5 or 6 of the 3.7, they just die. I dont know if its because the circuit is completed somehow when its sitting inside the unit or what, but they just go bad.

This is tough criticism, but its what has happened to my ultramax. Every e-cig has there problems, Im just pointing out these ones. I bought the unit because it was so bare bones and hard to break, turns out, it breaks easily.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Alright, I have had my ultramax for a while now... Overall I think its a good unit and I would buy one again.... maybe.

Ok- here is my beef with the unit, and props again to Nate and the rest of the guys for making a great product.

1. There are particles from the ceramic in the RES that get into the threads of the unit. This causes a grinding in the threads when you are screwing the res down, or the atomizer interface, or even the battery compartment, it really gets everywhere. Since the unit is aluminum this grinds down the threads, and eventually the atomizer threads were completely stripped out. This left me with the choice of either buying a whole new RES, or going with the cheaper atomizer only attachment, I bought the cheaper part. This brings me to point 2.

2. The RES is cool, and it does work... kind of. Basically you fill it and it keeps you going longer than normal, but there is no way you ever vape the entire 2 ml or whatever it is, because (this is my best guess) that its not a quantity thing with the tank, its a ratio of wet to dry in the tank that matters. I think if you vape the tank down to like 70% full, its stops supplying the liquid as easily, and this gets worse as you go, so you always need to keep it pretty full. It would be better if it were smaller and didn't take as much juice.

3. The plating on the outside of the unit completely wore away in a matter of months, its bare aluminum now. Aluminum is also nice and light, thats cool, but its soft, which is not good for the threads on this unit.

4. I dropped the ultramax and the ceramic in the tank shattered into 3 pieces. I was able to shove them back in there, but that means I really did not ever want to open it again.

5. Hopefully nothing to do with the unit but possibly the charger it came with... Batteries have a lifespan for about a month, then need to be replaced. Ive gone through probably 14 3.2v batteries and 5 or 6 of the 3.7, they just die. I dont know if its because the circuit is completed somehow when its sitting inside the unit or what, but they just go bad.

This is tough criticism, but its what has happened to my ultramax. Every e-cig has there problems, Im just pointing out these ones. I bought the unit because it was so bare bones and hard to break, turns out, it breaks easily.

I don't use the Res., but the threads on my atty interface were stripped in a month now thinking that when I dropped it with a cartomizer attached caused the thread damage I bought a new interface but this time I put a 510 adapter on the interface so I wouldn't have to screw cartos on and off so with the adapter I just leave it on except to clean it. Now October the threads won't hold a 510. Designers should know by now that most of the 510s especially the silver ones barely have any grooves on them which means the interface needs deeper groves and tough as nails threading. The ego threads have never failed under any circumstance. Oh well. I have a Darwin,bombshell, and a prodigy. Think I'll get a GLV 2 or a GG Storm

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
I'm a soon to be new ultramax owner, and I have a question about this.

If the unit is warrantied for normal use (and it's hard to argue that putting atomizers on it isn't ordinary use), then shouldn't this be covered under waranty? I've heard these guys have great customer service...

Best,
Ande

Ande
Yes you would think this would be covered. I had a lengthy back and forth with mark from Innovapor and I was told how the Ultramax was a precision device that is tested with joye attys and that other 510 manufacturers were not all created equal. So because me and 90% of everyone else use boge or smoke tech these caused me to strip my threads and its not covered. Of course I kept bringing up the fact that a $20 mass produced Ego could take any 510 you threw at it and never strip or break. I think its a sad day when a manufacturer calls his product precision made out of the. Finest aluminum but yet a sub par 510. Carto can strip the threads. Doesn't make much sense. You would think this very expensive mods threads wouldn't be able to be stripped by these sub par 510s. Mod manufacturers need to thread their tops to handle any atty.or.carto.it was designed for. Joye makes a good atty but they are hard to find and they don't sell the most. If every mod maker using 510 threads made the
m just like an ego well there would be no prolems. Also ulramax starts to have firing (connection) problems. I've had mine for 6 mos and hate to say it but its a bad design and choice when you look at other mods. No sliding button. It has to stay clean with clean hands or you won't be able to move the slide. Customer service hit the basement as well. Not to mention the fact if u buy a complete kit the Innovapor kits get up to $400. Get a V3, GLV 2 or my favorite the Darwin

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
I'd like to hear from others on this- I don't have an easy source for Joye atties. They are WAY expensive in this part of the world.

Am I going to void my warranty if I use another company's atty on this thing??

I feel like there has to be two sides to this story, but I'm nervous. I can't say I would have bought this mod if I thought that A) using the wrong atty could strip it, and B) that said stripping would be at my expense.

Say it ain't so??

Ande

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Ande,
I was ...... to say the least. Told that this was a very precision instrument down to very tight tolerances and Mark at innovapor told me these were tested with Joye and I told Mark most people don't use Joye and the fact that the Dual Coils were some of the most popular. He said that maybe he should suggest to Apex that maybe they should thread it for the majority. The thing I don't get is the most precise mods made our of the toughest metals can be stripped by a cheap Carto..you would think the threads couldn't even be cross threaded.

Now in saying that my opinion on the Mod Ultramax is well these are my issues. Of course the threads. The sliding switch becomes difficult to slide and 9 out of 10 times it doesn't fire. I've cleaned the switch replaced the switch and it doesn't last long. It tarnishes if you don't know that and becomes almost black unless you use metal cleaner though some like this.

As far as Mods out there and price I have to state my opinion and my opinion is I would give it 2 out of 10 stars.
I would never recommend or buy this mod without changes to the threads and them stating it can handle any 510 you put on it. Plus they need to go to a bottom switch like the prodigy, or Precise by Super T. The sliding switch is cool at first by your hands have to be really free from oil..This is not a good thing when your on the move...
I would recommend at $100 the Prodigy V3.1 or at $250 the Darwin. Also customer service from innovapor dropped a few notches after my conversation with Mark..I came away feeling I was told I didn't know how to screw on a cartomizer and that Apex would never cover stripped threads...Well if you thread it for Joye then you need to state that on the website. Joye is great but they are not plentiful. The Ultramax in kit form is one of if not the most expensive mods out ther at over $400.
Take away the fancy case the charger and batteries and your still left with an expensive mod with a 510 connection thats not safe to use any 510..hmm . My opinion is if the company Apex doesn't make some serious changes and publish it this won't be around long.

This is my opinion only. It you have one and think its a great mod then good for you

This is my opinion only.

HaloFan

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
Orange County
Ande,

I have the UltraMax with RES, I bought it simply because I wanted to try the RES,, and I am VERY Dis- appointed to say the least... the claims made by Innovapor and Apex etc: do NOT hold true by any means,,,
I completely agree with "paulc35" in everything he said,, I havent even bothered contacting Innovapor about My problems
because I dont want to waste my time only to get frustrated... I am leaving this to a learning experience...

For the same amount of money or even alot less than ANY Alpha device,,,You can get a mod that WILL work properly and
as described and advertised... I own an eGo- Megalodon, Omega, Silver Bullet, Reo Grande , The Darwin, Prodigy V3.1 and a Provari, My
Personal favorite is the Provari, cost less than the Alpha UltraMax and Out performs it by a land-slide......

I will never recommend this device to anyone,, rather advise against it...
I really do not like to talk so negitively but in My personal experience with this device,, well its simply been
ALL Negitive................................................

Good Luck to You Ande

Last edited:

VPJUNKIE510

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
Ok well I was in the market for a new Pv , it was coming down between the Darwin or a ultra or ultra max and mainly cause I want to try the res out. I just want to know if the threads were changed to take every 510 or close to every 510 306 out. I very rarley use joye cause frankly there expensive and average and really not worth the money. I mainly vape 901 and enjoy slb or smoktek , so are the threads on this ok to use those brand attys and cartos? If not I have extra atty connectors I use for modding they can use any 510 on the market I can send it your may to figure out .

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
Well, I bought it. :)

It's been my main (only) vape for a little over a week now. There's definitely a learning curve, but I have to say I'm happy to have it. I'll be posting a review with details of my experience after I've REALLY put it through it's paces. (Gotta vape the HELL out of it before my opinion is worth too much.)

But all in all, one week in I'm happy with the purchase.

Everybody's got a right to their opinion, of course, and everybody else's is just as valid. But I had to ask-

Everybody seems to talk about what an expensive mod it is- I don't see it. Definitely not cheap- but at $119.99, or $179.99 with RES, the Ultramax isn't really in the same price category as the GGTS or the Provari, is it? (And you can get 20% off the max with the forum code.)

Best,
Ande

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread