• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anyone using the Zombie Survival Guide Daily Calendar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Since I'm learning my Zombie survival plan one day at a time through this calendar, I thought I'd see if anyone else had one so we could discuss it's daily informational tidbits..?
Today (the 25th of Feb)... It recommends learning to use a small one handed crossbow. So, now I need to know what one looks like and where to get it!
It would be easier to fit in my hand bag I suppose, rather than a large 2 handed one...

I am not using the calendar, but vote for you to post each day with the tidbits.

Heres a link to a pistol crossbow.
80 lbs Pistol Crossbow + Red Dot + 15 Arrows Cross Bow - eBay (item 320661388057 end time Feb-25-11 12:01:14 PST)
I personally have tried many different ones and have yet to find one with enough punch to actually be of any use, but that doesnt mean there aint one out there. If I was going to rely on a stringed weapon, I much prefer my compound bow. I am not robin hood by any means, but I aint terrible with it either. Since my dads last stroke, he can not use a compound bow anymore and has switched over to a full sized, 2 handed crossbow.

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
ooo, thanks for the link. The guide goes on to say that having a silent weapon is great, but the smaller bow requires you to get really close to the target zombie, which kind of "negates the need for a silent weapon".. hahaha - I guess it will at least prevent the other zombettes from hearing the gunshot..but...I'd better carry both I suppose..I'll need a bigger purse. And yes, I WILL be carrying a purse even during the apocalypse.
-My dad used to hunt with a bow- he never let me tag along dang it!! He also never brought home any game that I recall...
OK, I'll attempt to update daily with tidbits from the calendar if it will help the cause!

OK, I'll attempt to update daily with tidbits from the calendar if it will help the cause!

That sounds awesome! A little daily (or semi-daily) zombie affirmation.

I've seen those little pistol crossbows at gun shows, but never really tried one... I'll have to pick one up at the next show. Could be handy. I think I'll keep mine in the car glove box.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I second the zombie tip of the day postings! If you want a purse sized 'silent' weapon you can always pick up a suppressed Ruger Mk II/III pistol. While it isn't completely silent it's only a decibel or 5 louder than the sound of the bolt working in the action! SRT's MKII Suppressed They also suppress ruger 10/22 rifles as well with prices ranging for complete guns in the just under one thousand to just under thirteen hundred dollars including the gun itself. Prices are about half that if you already have the gun. To compare it to a modern crossbow at around 90 dB's, the suppressed .22's are in the 110-115 dB range vs the 140-155 dB's of an unsuppressed .22lr.

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
The topic for today's (& tomorrow's since they combine the weekend)... Is in the Weapons catagory again and is regarding the use of Molotov Cocktails. Recommended as an effective way to kill an advancing horde. If used to destroy a structure full of trapped zombies be sure to bombard until NOTHING is left but ash!!!
Any jar of flammable liquid with a make shift fuse should work.
Personally, I like to be able to use said items while I'm waiting for the zombie hoard, so I will be stockpiling hairspray and nail polish remover which can be used today as a beauty item, and used later as a flammable fuel source!!
Happy hunting!

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Molotov Cocktail tip: Place superballs into the container with the fuel. The balls absorb the fuel and help to disperse it to a greater area after the glass is broken. After burning for a period of time, they become very sticky and burn hot. One small burning superball will cling to whatever it hits and increase the likelihood of the object catching fire.

Don't keep stored in the container or they will degrade quickly. Don't use too many, otherwise you will lose the fuel volume.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
You know, the little bouncy balls in the quarter machines.

superballs_full.jpg

I've learned a few things in my learnin's over the years. Not that I've actually done it, I've just read about it. I believe that The Anarchist's Cookbook would be excellent reading for survivalists, zombie or otherwise. Too bad it's banned, and I'll probably get random phone calls because I've just posted that. :laugh:

I did use something similar . . . I used to fight forest fires and do forest management, which involved burning slash (dead, scrap wood) on the forest edge to help prevent wildfires. We used a lot of napalm to get the fires to start, but we would also use our plastic food bags for wet areas. Wad up some plastic in an area that is hard to get lit, and it sticks and burns hot until the wood catches fire. Same for zombies I suppose. ;^)

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Freaky, you have some valuable skills! And now, I shall head to Fred Meyer to buy some of those bouncy balls from the machines out front!

I love the Oriental Trading Company. 4 Dozen Glow-In-The-Dark Bouncing Balls, $6.
:laugh: Glow-in-the-dark = tracer rounds. :laugh:

zombie tip of the day is a great idea.

Wonder if you could use the Molotov superballs in a slingshot.....

Yes, too slow though. I'd rather coat/dip arrows with a thick napalm. More accurate too. We used to also mix our napalm pretty thick so we could scoop it out of a bucket in our hands, light it with a drip torch, then throw into the center of the slash piles. It's easier to burn from the inside, out, especially when it's raining!

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Since my calendar has no Sunday tip today - I thought I'd reach into the trash bin & pull out an old one... (recycle bin actually!).. So, from Feb 4th...We have a bit of education about "Solanum"...the fatal virus that Zombies transmit.
Infection occurs through direct fluidic contact, usually a Zombie bite, or by getting the ghouls "fluids" mixed with an open wound in a human fighter, so watch out for that splatter folks!!
And just so you know...(you may not WANT to though...) If you EAT infected flesh, it will result in permanent death rather than infection because it is highly toxic. (duh...and WHY would you???)...
So there you have it. Today's tip. Don't eat zombies, and don't mix fluids with them. Ugh.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Since my calendar has no Sunday tip today - I thought I'd reach into the trash bin & pull out an old one... (recycle bin actually!).. So, from Feb 4th...We have a bit of education about "Solanum"...the fatal virus that Zombies transmit.
Infection occurs through direct fluidic contact, usually a Zombie bite, or by getting the ghouls "fluids" mixed with an open wound in a human fighter, so watch out for that splatter folks!!
And just so you know...(you may not WANT to though...) If you EAT infected flesh, it will result in permanent death rather than infection because it is highly toxic. (duh...and WHY would you???)...
So there you have it. Today's tip. Don't eat zombies, and don't mix fluids with them. Ugh.

Amazon.com: BlueMagic 5216 Invisible Glove Hand Coating - 18 oz. Tub: Automotive

Amazon.com: Akemi Liquid Glove 250grms: Kitchen & Dining

Just a few anyway. ;^)

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Nice tip on the super balls, I hadn't thought of that one! Do you have a reliable link to a napalm supplier (the powdered component anyway) for those of us interested in forestry? It's nice to know in this crazy, mixed up world where certain bullets are banned, that people can still help fight forest fires unimpeded! In other words, yes, Virginia, anyone can own a flame thrower!

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Monday's ZSG tip o' the day;
Today's topic is once again in the Weapons category; the Pistol.
Quote from the calendar: "Unlike our fictional heroes, the average person may have difficulty hitting anything, let alone something as small and mobile as a zombie's head."

Studies have shown that 73% of non-lethal ballistic zombie wounds came from some type of handgun. Their best use would be up close if you are unfortunately grabbed by a zombie, since no particular skill is necessary except squeezing the trigger close to the temple of the fiend.

Of course, given yesterday's tip about fluid transference, you might want to invest in the invisible glove goop recommended by FreakyStylie....Is that just for your hands or can it be slathered over one's entire being like a big protective shield?

In any case, I'd like to read more about that study and the 73% figure noted. I wonder if the study was done by the same group that studied e-cigarettes for the FDA?.

And, totally unrelated, but here is your "must have" accessory;

uc-200-b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread