Anyone remember when a "starter kit" was actually for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I'm not really active on here much anymore, but I used to do reviews. I've vaped for a few years and my dad is a little past 2 years smoke free now because of vaping. I don't really have a place to rant so I'm picking the forum.

With that being said, I don't look online much for products. I had a Wismec Predator which is a trash device. So I've been looking up mods for myself. I was looking at setups for my dad. He's in his 60s, doesn't need a fancy mod or tank, but apparently that's not a thing anymore...

Starter kit that require 18650s, starter kits that goes to 250 watts, starter kits with RTA's or tanks with claptons, ni200, ss316 coils. Tanks that need 60+ watts to even run the tank as a minimum. Since when is this for beginners?

What happened to the mods that don't go over 100 watts?
What happened to tanks that has a standard kanthal coil at 0.5 ohms that can run with 20 watts?
What happened to the mods with built in batteries?

The race to be the best with companies is ridiculous. The race to have the highest watts available is ridiculous. The race to have the most confusing tank is ridiculous. The race to have the most 18650s is ridiculous. Today I saw some mod that requires 5 18650s... why?

I know this might be a pointless rant, but it's a little frustrating when I try to find an easy setup for my dad that is durable and is easy to use yet everything is what was considered advanced when I first started.

I apologize for the rant, but my girlfriend doesn't care about vaping and my dad doesn't understand much to follow along if I talked to him about this. So this forum is the only place i have to vent haha. Thanks for your time y'all.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I found Provari in 2013 and used it, quit with it. It was very simple and safe. I moved on to REO but the reliable Provari went to my daughter who still uses it. I don't know what or how I would pick today if starting.

I'm not really active on here much anymore, but I used to do reviews. I've vaped for a few years and my dad is a little past 2 years smoke free now because of vaping. I don't really have a place to rant so I'm picking the forum.

With that being said, I don't look online much for products. I had a Wismec Predator which is a trash device. So I've been looking up mods for myself. I was looking at setups for my dad. He's in his 60s, doesn't need a fancy mod or tank, but apparently that's not a thing anymore...

Starter kit that require 18650s, starter kits that goes to 250 watts, starter kits with RTA's or tanks with claptons, ni200, ss316 coils. Tanks that need 60+ watts to even run the tank as a minimum. Since when is this for beginners?

What happened to the mods that don't go over 100 watts?
What happened to tanks that has a standard kanthal coil at 0.5 ohms that can run with 20 watts?
What happened to the mods with built in batteries?

The race to be the best with companies is ridiculous. The race to have the highest watts available is ridiculous. The race to have the most confusing tank is ridiculous. The race to have the most 18650s is ridiculous. Today I saw some mod that requires 5 18650s... why?

I know this might be a pointless rant, but it's a little frustrating when I try to find an easy setup for my dad that is durable and is easy to use yet everything is what was considered advanced when I first started.

I apologize for the rant, but my girlfriend doesn't care about vaping and my dad doesn't understand much to follow along if I talked to him about this. So this forum is the only place i have to vent haha. Thanks for your time y'all.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Idk where you're looking but i see plenty of mods that are good and are below 100w still to this day! Even smok released a couple new ones recently and one of em is below 100w (in fact i think there's no vw on it). I started with a nautilus tank and a generic mod from fumytech (ferobox 45tc) plenty satisfied and more than starter friendly. Even if it's a removable 18650 mod there's nothing complicated about it remove battery door insert new one and bam keep vaping. Even controls are pretty fool proof imho up down button for wattage and a fire button, dosen't get more simple than that..... Haven't seen a 5 battery mod yet but yeah,that does seem like complete overkill.....

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
Look in to pod systems for your dad. I really like the penguin but it's not really mouth to lung. It's overwhelming if your coming back after a break. So much different. It's still all there, just different. I agree there's a demographic being missed in the current industry by the retailers.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Look in to pod systems for your dad. I really like the penguin but it's not really mouth to lung. It's overwhelming if your coming back after a break. So much different. It's still all there, just different. I agree there's a demographic being missed in the current industry by the retailers.

I'm going to start buying pod-style kits to help people quit. The iCare 140 looks promising - no variables, nothing but a tank and a replaceable atomizer.

I've never heard of the pod systems both of you referred to. I'll have to research them a bit.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Idk where you're looking but i see plenty of mods that are good and are below 100w still to this day! Even smok released a couple new ones recently and one of em is below 100w (in fact i think there's no vw on it). I started with a nautilus tank and a generic mod from fumytech (ferobox 45tc) plenty satisfied and more than starter friendly. Even if it's a removable 18650 mod there's nothing complicated about it remove battery door insert new one and bam keep vaping. Even controls are pretty fool proof imho up down button for wattage and a fire button, dosen't get more simple than that..... Haven't seen a 5 battery mod yet but yeah,that does seem like complete overkill.....

I go to local vape shops, minimum 200w mods and tanks that have 0.2 coils. Go on websites and the only 100w and below mods I see are all out of stock. With one 18650, it is complicated for my dad. I've tried for months to teach him one of my old mods before I sold them. He couldn't do it. To quote him ...

"I'd rather go back to cigarettes instead of using something that complicated"

**EDIT**

Here is a mod that says "222W device powered by five 18650 batteries (sold separately) "

Kanger FIVE6 5 Battery 6 Coil Starter Kit | Vape Kits

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I have to agree with you, especially reading new forum members posting things like the older woman with copd who was sold a smok alien/baby beast combo as a starter.

Exactly, they tried to sell the smok alien combination to my dad today at a local shop. They also tried to sell him an RX200S with an RDA.

I wish they'd bring back the Innokin Coolfires for example. At least all sites I trust don't have them anymore.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I've been vaping for quite a while, and still vape at ~8 watts. Looking around at my vape stuff I do see what you're talking about. There isn't a product that I use that can be found without searching some sites "old stock" clearance items. (and my stuff was "as good as it gets" circa 2011-12)
    Hell, ya can't hardly find a place that still stocks 12mg (or higher) juice anymore.

add:
    Oh-and I'm 76 & wrap my own coils and make my own juice.

Last edited:

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 6, 2014
    Alabama
    I've been vaping for quite a while, and still vape at ~8 watts. Looking around at my vape stuff I do see what you're talking about. There isn't a product that I use that can be found without searching some sites "old stock" clearance items. (and my stuff was "as good as it gets" circa 2111-12)
    Hell, ya can't hardly find a place that still stocks 12mg (or higher) juice anymore.

add:
    Oh-and I'm 76 & wrap my own coils and make my own juice.

His first setup was an eGrip and iStick 50w, those were perfect. My biggest regret was when he found something he likes, that I didn't order 10 of them for him. Back ups of back ups.

I've never attempted to show him how to wrap coils. That would be a nightmare and so much arguing. He likes unflavored since flavored e-liquid is disgusting to him. 15mg unflavored, 60vg/40pg and he's happy.

Last edited:

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2016
    Tempe, Arizona, United States
    His first setup was an eGrip and iStick 50w, those were perfect. My biggest regret was when he found something he likes, that I didn't order 10 of them for him. Back ups of back ups.

I've never attempted to show him how to wrap coils. That would be a nightmare and so much arguing. He likes unflavored since flavored e-liquid is disgusting to him. 15mg unflavored, 60vg/40pg and he's happy.
    istick Pico is still a good, inexpensive, easy single 18650 device with something like a Nautilus 2 on top. Small, pocketable. While it does take an 18650 I know many people who use it as a fixed battery device and only recharge via USB. Running at a low wattage gets decent battery time too. They were my starter devices and I still have 3 of them floating around, though I don't use them as often.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I do agree that starting to vape today is much more difficult than it was when we started with a ego/CE4 clearo kits. Our biggest issue was quality control of the heads but a few youtube vids and common sense that was overcome easily. Stores now try to sell the newbs high power attys that are super thirsty with juice and have mighty expensive heads cause thats where the money is as they keep coming back to replenish. There is no fun in vaping trying to afford several 6-8 dollar heads a week and 20+mls a day paying B&M prices.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    pffft... you old farts need to get with the program! Tootle puffin' is so 2013, man. If you ain't rockin' enough Watts to blow a 50A fuse you're gonna get left behind, man!

I like my Vamo and Protank II but I gotta run with these bros who be chuckin' some major cloudz. Ya feel me?

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2016
    Tempe, Arizona, United States
    pffft... you old farts need to get with the program! Tootle puffin' is so 2013, man. If you ain't rockin' enough Watts to blow a 50A fuse you're gonna get left behind, man!

I like my Vamo and Protank II but I gotta run with these bros who be chuckin' some major cloudz. Ya feel me?
    :lol: I don't mind not being cool anymore. I'm happy in my tootle ways.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX

Egrip V1 was my first rig, absolutely perfect beginner rig for me. Still available for 5 bucks each at HeavenGifts. Shipping is kinda steep but might level out if Ya grab 3 or 4? I'm tempted for nostalgia sake but the limited airflow would never work for me these days.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida

I will always be a 'Tootle puffer'.

All 'clouds' do for me is go through more liquid in a shorter amount of time.

To each his own. That's the beauty of vaping. ;)

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2016
    I go to the local vape shop a couple of times a year. Last time there, they mostly carried setups I'd never heard of nor interested in. They sure are pretty though. The shop caters to a whole circle of cloud and flavor chasers of which I'm not a part. Mostly they make their business off juice. Lots of repeat customers for that. I vape non-flavored 50/50 ... they don't have any of that. Neither do they have much at all in the way of DIY. That just leaves online shopping for me.

Although I've moved past starters, most all the stuff I started with is still there online and even some new starter stuff for my style vape were I just looking to start now.

Just as always, you'll also find kit that isn't your style, and just like when you started out, you'll have to read and decide what might work best for you. Focus on what you need, not on what you don't want. There are those who want what you and I don't, believe it or not.

Pick one ...
    Kit : Aspire online shopping
    Eleaf USA | E-Cigarette | E-Liquid | Vaporizer
    Popular Vaporizers - Innokin

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread