Anyone know of/tried something like this? (capacitor drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I'm not planning on building a device like this but was curious what the electronics experts would have to say about it's feasibility.

The basic idea is to use cells with a much higher capacity (there are 18650s rated at 6,000+ mAh) while still allowing high-powered vaping. These cells aren't capable of delivering the current required for high power levels, but considering most vaping takes place 2-5 seconds at a time it seems like using a capacitor to drive the coil would allow you to maintain high power levels without pulling much current from the battery.

Seem like a reasonable idea? There is the obvious issue of charge-up time, and total watt hours available in the capacitor, but even roughly figuring out those details is beyond my knowledge. Then there is the issue of regulating the capacitor's output, which I suspect would be more difficult than regulating relatively consistent battery voltage.

The end-product would, roughly and in theory, be a device that lasts 3-4 times longer between charges, with the trade-off being a bit more bulk and having to wait 10 or so seconds between vapes.

Any feedback is welcome! As I said I have no plans to make anything but thought it was a pretty good idea assuming the technical details are workable. Do compact capacitors capable of ~15 amps at ~4v with a ~10 second charge time even exist (and at a reasonable price?) Is it possible to regulate capacitor voltage accurately enough for our purposes? I'm thinking the easiest would be for the device to have a fixed output voltage of 4 volts so that it would match a freshly-charged mech in performance, but again with a much longer run-time.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
With no loss (a perfect capacitor which does not exist) Amps X time (seconds) / voltage drop (from high to low) = capacitance (F)

Given a perfect capacitor with no internal resistance and 5A load going from 4 V to 3.8 V over 5 seconds would require 5 X 5 / .2 = 125F. Course charge time at 1 A would be 5 times 5 seconds so 25 seconds. Given say a 4 milliohm ESR capacitor and include mod voltave drop add a couple percent so not much to worry about there.

Given the math, possible but extra bulk and expense make feasibility limited.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
This looks doable using super capacitors, but to get a proper sub-ohm 10+ second draw and maintain voltage within 5% would take a couple thousand dollars worth of super caps and a very big box.

I asked a question similar to the OP years ago...but was using A/C mains power (rectified to DC, of course) and/or charging from a DC "ashtray" charger you'd touch the capacitor-based e-cig to.

Anyway, we calculated that it would be about 10 pounds of capacitors. lol.
They razzed me like crazy, had some pics of PV muscle-building weights. :lol: (Like an arm hold a hand-weight building muscles).
IDK if that was with super-caps or not. But lol anyway.

So, basically, you can have fast response, like with capacitors, or you can have electron density, but both is a holy-grail right now.

cadcoke5

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
Lancaster, PA
I have seen that some programmable mods have power curve control. This is used to put out a higher amperage for the 1st second or so, to heat the coil up, and then power is deliberately reduced for the rest of the time. Perhaps a smaller capacitor could be useful for that initial surge, to bring the coil up to temperature.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Maybe more size feasible than .....

Yeah, e-cig probably more feasible than that.

What that guy is probably gong to find out is that capacitors "leak"...they discharge over time. So if he let that car sit for 3 days he may be disappointed. Now, that depends on the capacitors too of course. Some hold a charge longer than others.

Best guess.

That's why he's also discussing a Li-Ion battery or solar charge backup, I'm guessing.

EDIT: Watched the rest. Yeah, they leak more over time, he tested it. I was impressed with how long it did last though. I don't think you can let it set for, say, a week or more...

Last edited:

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Thanks for the feedback guys! Sorry for abandoning my thread, it got moved and I never venture outside of a few sections these days so I forgot all about it. Looks like my fears about price and bulk were well founded, maybe one day soon we'll see something with the specs required for such a job. But then again maybe we'll see high-amp 18650s with much higher capacities before that.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Yeah, e-cig probably more feasible than that.

What that guy is probably gong to find out is that capacitors "leak"...they discharge over time. So if he let that car sit for 3 days he may be disappointed. Now, that depends on the capacitors too of course. Some hold a charge longer than others.

Best guess.

That's why he's also discussing a Li-Ion battery or solar charge backup, I'm guessing.

EDIT: Watched the rest. Yeah, they leak more over time, he tested it. I was impressed with how long it did last though. I don't think you can let it set for, say, a week or more...

He made another video with a huge lipo backup on this cap bank and left his car for ten days and it started, held a good charge too.
The sag like mundy said would make it draw from the backup so without a redundant charger like an alternator in line for free kinetics charging, may as well just use a good switching reg, almost same principle.. It takes a while on that at least 60amp alternator for the caps to recover from starting the vehicle..
--------------------------

It was a good thread unk chuck I learned something lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread