Anyone ever try Texas Tuff tanks with 808d cartos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
I'm currently a Smokeless Image customer. I believe they exclusively use the 808d threading (batts are male and clearos/cartos are female)? I've been wanting to step up to VV Spinner batts and they are about to start offering them, so I'd like to stick with them so I don't have to buy everything new (cartos, clearos, ect.). But I'm not totally happy with any of the clearo's/tanks I've tried. I'd like to try out VapeDudes Texas Tuff tanks, but was wondering if SI's cartos will work? I know I'll have to punch them myself, and can't imagine any reason they wouldn't work other than the connection itself. The Boge cartos the tanks come with are 501(?) male thread, and the threads are all that stick out of the bottom of the tanks when assembled. Both the Boge and SI cartos are 35mm. Does that mean the overall length of both brands is 35 mm, and therefore the SI cartos would be long enough to fully seat in the tank and have enough length to connect to the batt leaving the air holes open? Has anyone tried this?

morgue

Nov 30, 2012
Eastern Washington
Not the TexasTuff particularly, but I used random ol cheapo tanks (for a regular sized carto) on my SI XL carto. The carto stuck out quite a bit on the end but it worked just fine.

However and I am looking right now at my SI XL and Boge XL Cartos and the SI is longer than the Boge. I honestly do not see why you couldn't use an SI XL carto in a TexasTuffTank, but you would have to be careful and make sure you punch the carto above where the internal threading is to get into the actual filler material.

I can take a closer look with a few of my tanks/cartos tonight and verify if needed.

Wasn't mentioned but just in case; you'll want to make sure you use the SS cartos.

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
Not the TexasTuff particularly, but I used random ol cheapo tanks (for a regular sized carto) on my SI XL carto. The carto stuck out quite a bit on the end but it worked just fine.

However and I am looking right now at my SI XL and Boge XL Cartos and the SI is longer than the Boge. I honestly do not see why you couldn't use an SI XL carto in a TexasTuffTank, but you would have to be careful and make sure you punch the carto above where the internal threading is to get into the actual filler material.

I can take a closer look with a few of my tanks/cartos tonight and verify if needed.

Wasn't mentioned but just in case; you'll want to make sure you use the SS cartos.
That's what I was figuring, but just thought I'd check and make sure I wasn't missing something obvious lol... I'm about to order some juice soon anyway, so for $8 I'll add one on and give 'er a whirl. I've got some blank 35mm SI cartos now, so gonna go the cheapo route first and try those (they were labeled, but I peeled the labels off of a couple to know which juice was in which). Any tips or tricks on punching the cartos? I have a hammer and nail handy, so that was going to be my first try (before I spend more money on one of those wing-nut/aluminum loop punches I've seen)...

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
An XL carto from S.I. is 50 mm according to their website, instead of the normal 45 mm. A regular-size carto from S.I. is 35 mm, which is the standard carto size. So a 35 mm carto should fit just fine in a 35 mm tank.
I seems to make sense to me that it would, but with the way the tank seals with a gasket around the carto I didn't know if there would still be enough sticking out at the bottom to leave the air holes open...

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
I have no clue. I haven't grabbed a tank yet. I'm just going by what should work. ;)

If you're worried about it, you could always grab a tank from V4L since they're already made for 808's. They're a bit pricier than what you're already looking at though.
Well, might sound silly, but the whole reason I'm on the TxTuff is simply that I already order from VD. I'm trying to get down to 1 or 2 vendors to cut out the shipping costs... Lol

morgue

Nov 30, 2012
Eastern Washington
I seems to make sense to me that it would, but with the way the tank seals with a gasket around the carto I didn't know if there would still be enough sticking out at the bottom to leave the air holes open...

If those measurements are correct then you should have the tank rather flush with the top, and in this case because of the 808 internal threading you'll have part of the normal carto just sticking out the bottom (the part with the threading). This will leave a little bit of room and the airflow should be the exact same as the carto on its own.

I didn't realize they were already in stock.

If you get the XL's you can get the larger version of the tanks as well. Just make sure you line the punch hole to the bottom of the tank. When you punch the carto try to avoid deforming it as much as you can. Buying one of those punch tools isn't necessary many of us use a Saddle valve we picked up for a few bucks at our local hardware store like this

Carto tanks are great and I hope you enjoy them!

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
Any tips or tricks on punching the cartos? I have a hammer and nail handy, so that was going to be my first try (before I spend more money on one of those wing-nut/aluminum loop punches I've seen)...

A saddle valve is cheap and does a great job punching cartos...easy to use as well. Buy the heavy duty, not the cheapie...7 bucks...

saddlevalve.jpg

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
I didn't realize they were already in stock.
Carto tanks are great and I hope you enjoy them!
Yup, spinners just went "live"... If you were looking to get one, looks like some of the color/size combos are already selling out...
I'm hoping so too! Getting tired of all the fiddling and fussing! I just want something that works and doesn't leak my juice all over the place, or is a PITA to fill...
Edit: Just looked again... Color/size combos are not selling out yet... Looks like they are just still fiddling with the page...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread