Anyone else having trouble putting down the real cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justwaaaa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Saint Augustine, FL
Hey guys! I started vaping a month and 3 days ago, but I still can't quite let go of the real thing. I was a 2 pack + a day smoker and granted, I'm now smoking on average 7 or 8 cigarettes a day, but it bothers me that I can't just toss them in the trash. I love love love vaping, so why do I feel the need to keep a pack of cigarettes nearby as well?

Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Justine :facepalm:

DawnH

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Ozarks in Arkansas
Nope, you aren't the only one, I've been like that since August of last year. Most days I only smoke 2 analogs a day, I can't help it, I really do love smoking, never intended to quit, just cut down. Hoping upon hope, that SOME DAY I won't want one anymore. Look at it this way though, count the ones you do NOT smoke and it gets better and you won't keep kicking yourself. Congrats on going from 2 packs a day to only 7 or 8!

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
If you've cut down from 2 PAD to just 7 or 8 then you're doing FANTASTIC! There are lots of people here who are still smoking the occasional cigarette on top of vaping. If you really want to quit then you might want to look at bumping up your nicotine level. But, don't be hard on yourself because you've already made wonderful progress!

Jerethustra

Feb 21, 2011
Santiago, Chile
I hear ya, I've had a one or two cigs in the past week, but I was a little more than half a pack a day. I didn't want to quit either. I liked smoking. But with ~25mg nicotine, I'm able to go with around one ultra-light analog a week. Anything more than an ultra light has become disgusting for me. I figure, the less smoking, the healthier it is for us. So, don't worry about smoking as many as you do. I recommend trying a higher level nicotine for the e-cig. ~15mg didn't do anything to make me feel a buzz.

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
First, think about how many you're NOT having! Next, tell us about your PV and what juice your using (specifically nicotine level). You might need to kick it up a little higher to finish off those last few, or maybe just have a higher level on hand for the tougher times. While I didn't have a problem putting them down, I did have cravings for a while (my taste buds came back quick and I just could do it), when I moved up to around 12mg (I use 18 most of the time now...) the cravings went away.

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
THey call it addiction for a reason.

YOu're doing well, so don't beat yourself up! If you really WANT to get rid of the ciggies completely, though, you might think about a couple of things:

Is your juice the right nic level? If you're not feeling, I guess satisfied, then this might help.

Have you figured out your device? If you're struggling with the equipment, this is somehting else to work on- regular cigs are pretty easy to operate, vaping a little harder.

Are you getting enough vapor? Again, modifying your juice and/or changing devices could help. And for me, seeing the smoke is part of the satisfaction.

And...are you taking enough time? I haven't heard too many others talk about this, but here's how it works for me- I used to ALWAYs smoke after meals, and now, after a good dinner, I feel the need. If I had a cig, it just...does it. Right away.

Vaping is slower.

After dinner in a restaurant, I skip dessert, and VAPE LIKE HELL for about 10-15 minutes while my wife has her chocolate mousse. It takes it a while to kick in, and kick the nic-fit. You can definitely "vape away" the cigarette urge, if you have strong enough juice and take the time. But it takes some time.

Best of luck,
ANde

justwaaaa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Saint Augustine, FL
Wow, you guys are all amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me a few pats on the back :eek: )

Let's see.... I'm using the Bloog Maxx Fusion kr808 and I absolutely love it. I've tried the 808 clearomizers but they are pretty horrible. I have a 510 adapter and 510 clearomizers on the way, so I'm hoping those will work out better. Carts are great though for the most part.

Juice. OMG, I have got so many juices it's crazy. My favorite by far is Viking Vapor's kahlua and cream. You wanna talk about yum??? I've been doing 12 mg, figuring that I smoked Marlboro Lite 100s, so I should keep the nicotine juice level low. Any thoughts on this?

Justine :eek: )

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I would definitely increase your nic level. 12mg is very low and 18mg or 24mg would probably suit you better. There isn't really any comparison with nic level versus what you were smoking. There are plenty of people who smoked ultra lights (like me) and need to use 18mg or higher to keep the cravings at bay. Vaping is very different from smoking because the nicotine absorption is slower and you're only getting around 40% of the nicotine.

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
Definitely try upping the nic. I smoked Misty Light Menthol 120's (after the Va slims got too expensive) and I tried 12 MG first and it just didn't do it. I use between 18-20 MG now and it seems to hit the spot. The other thing was getting a device that puts off a lot of warm vapor. I'm currently using a Monkeyboxx VV because I found with a 5V passthrough that the extra voltage satisfied me a lot more.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
I'm that way too, Justine, two packs or less a week even after well over a year of vaping (after 40+ years of smoking 1 to 1.5 ppd). Starting about eight months ago, I got a little stricter about my smoking routine. I now smoke two cigarettes with coffee in my first hour up and never a third. I start vaping and do so steadily throughout the day--36mg (bit I'm thinking of cutting back to 24). On very rare occasion (maybe once every couple weeks) I'll smoke one at lunch when I'm with a smoking friend. Usually I smoke 2 or 3 in the evening, interspersed with vaping. My strict ceiling is six cigarettes a day and I don't think I've lit up a seventh since October. I usually end the day with a total of 4 or 5, occasionally 3 or 6. My feeling about it is that these are not the cigarettes that are going to do me in; they're the ones that contribute to my enjoyment of life. (I'm more concerned about those decades of heavier smoking--but can't do anything about that.) I feel fairly plateaued at this level but if things change I would only hope for a further decrease in my smoking.

My attitude about this might not be yours. Not having gotten down to zero (except for the odd day or two), I can't offer advice about quitting. But if you want to cut down further, you might want to look closely at your smoking routine. There might be a few more cigarettes you can let yourself do without.

Lauralie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2010
Here, there, everywhere!
I have been vaping since August 2010 and I stil have a couple analogs a day at work. Weekends, no, work, yet. Don't know why I love vaping as well. And I don't feel bad about it, do I wish I didn't smoke any, yet, do I let it truly bother me, no! I look at how many a day I don't smoke and I am very proud of it:)

And congrats on how well you have done - keep it up!!!

ControlledChaos

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2011
New York
You may wanna try something more powerful for a PV. IMO the less it looks or feels like a cig the better it preforms. I use an ego. Battery lasts forever and it's consistent on vapor production. They're not expensive and you'll get use to the feel of it in a week. A lot of people say that 5v mods give a stronger hit, more flavor and warmer vapor. You also have to take less of a drag. Maybe you should try 5volts! Either way don't beat yourself up. LESS CIGARETTES IS ALWAYS GOOD!!! :)

to prepare for vaping i have switched to really crappy cigs!! lol!! i figure it'll be easier to make the switch if i have myself convinced my only alternative is "Aces" or "rogers"! EEWW!! if i were still smoking marbs when the e cig got here i don't think i would quit so easily!! but this is just my opinion and i haven't gotten my e cig yet so i'm not sure it'll work!!

Goodluck!!

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Up your nic level...like everybody says. The 12mg is pretty low....especially for starting out. You can work down to that later. And can't remember who said it, but let yourself chainvape until the urges go away. When you have the urge for a cig, tell yourself okay, you can have one AFTER you vape 18mg or 24mg for 10 minutes. If you still want one after 10 minutes, then let yourself have it. Sometimes it's mostly psychological....you just can't imagine NOT having a cig if you have them right there handy. Maybe leave the cigs in an out-of-the-way place....in the car or in the garage. Make it a little bit of an effort or discomfort to have one. That's what I did and I've been cigarette free for over 9 months.

If you can go cigarette free for several days and only vape, those cigarettes will taste sooooo bad that you'll remember THAT taste the next time you want one (instead of all your happy, good memories of how much you love to smoke.) The longer you go without a cigarette, the worse they'll taste. (My experience, anyway.) With the right nic level and just paying attention to vaping more when you have the urge, you might just wake up one day and realize that you "forgot" to smoke all day yesterday. LOL. That's what happened to me.

DarthSnoopyFish

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Burlingame, CA
I've been doing 12 mg, figuring that I smoked Marlboro Lite 100s, so I should keep the nicotine juice level low. Any thoughts on this?

Justine :eek: )

You need to get a stronger juice for sure!!! Like 24 mg. I was a smoker for 14 years (camel lights) and the juice I ordered with my e-cig was 24mg. I haven't touched a real cig since. Nothing is going to beat the feeling of smoking the real things, but if you use strong ... nicotine levels in your e-juice, you won't care your not smoking the real things anymore haha.

GMoney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
MA
Don't sweat it, you're doing great!

Tobacco cigarette smoking is extremely addictive! (IMHO far more addictive then just the nicotine)

Lot's of great advice, above! Some higher nic can help, I think it depends a lot on whether you take 12 hits and put it down or vape constantly - I like to use some 18+ and have some 12 or less when I find myself just vaping cause I am bored and forget to put the pv down for an hour. :)

The kr808d-1 is good, but consider a good variable volt mod for all day battery life and that extra "kick".

When you are ready (and happy with your equipment and juice, just smoke your 7 a day for a week, then smoke 6 a day for a week, then go to 5 - before you know it you'll be done! I assume it took you years to build your 40+ a day habit, no big deal if you take a month to quit.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread