Anyone else have problems with the X2 usb cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zencatx

Aug 1, 2012
PA, USA
I have two X2s and love them, but recently I've been having some difficulties with one of them, getting the USB cord to stay in place for charging or using as a passthrough. If it's charging I have to get it into the perfect position to get the charging light to go on, and if it's bumped or moved even a bit the cord seems to lose connection. It's pretty close to impossible to use as a passthrough, because just picking it up seems to break the connection. It seems to be an issue with the battery and not the cable, because I've tried using a different X2 cable with the same results. If I can get it to charge, it works like a top, but if it's jarred even slightly while charging (which is pretty close it inevitable, given the relatively long charge time and a herd of four cats that seem to need to investigate all flat surfaces on an hourly basis) and I'm not right there to set it right again, all bets are off. :-( Anyone else experience this, and if so, any suggestions for a simple fix?

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Sorry, no simple fix. My friend had this happen with her cell phone charger. It's so sad when a battery dies a slow painful death like this. She used the phone for months but finally just broke down and bought a new one. Frankly, it was about time. Her phone wasn't as old as our old phones when we got new phones but the new phones are so much nicer than those old cell phones we had.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't help.

1st Officer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2012
Central Virginia
Since I am always moving it back and fourth between my mouth and the table I put a rubber band around the barrery and cable to keep all the stresses off the connection and cable end. Like this, hey it works...

2012-09-06_17-09-53_165.jpg

1st Officer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2012
Central Virginia
Nice DIY solution

Cheap and effective, with an emphasis on cheap. I had one cable almost wear in half before it came to me. Plus I have 5 Daughters and a Wife so the house is full of those little rubber bands, in all colors so I can color coordinate... I've been around the girls for too long, color coordinate, I can't believe I even said that. Somebody please shoot me now :facepalm:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Mine started doing that after one use in the car as a passthrough. SI will only honor the warranty if you use their cord, but if you're shopping for a better replacement cord after it goes out of warranty, here are a couple of good ones:
Amazon.com: Mediabridge - USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable - (5ft): Computers & Accessories
Coiled USB2 Cables - High Quality A to Mini B USB2 Cables

I could just contact CS to get another cable, but I'm not thrilled with the quality of those. It would probably just happen again.

Last edited:

Can-Can

Sep 29, 2011
LOS ANGELES
Zencatx~I also have had trouble with both of my cords. They're not long enough to comfortably reach to the wall socket, so I keep pulling on them and strip the outer cord eventually.
Also, I have had your same problem with what I assumed was a short in both. If you move it even slightly the light goes out.

Imagine--Can I charge them on the carto end? I have the bigger charger.

Imagine

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
OHIO USA
www.SmokelessImage.com
the carto end is not recommended it can start a fire. let CS know and they can send you out a new cord
Zencatx~I also have had trouble with both of my cords. They're not long enough to comfortably reach to the wall socket, so I keep pulling on them and strip the outer cord eventually.
Also, I have had your same problem with what I assumed was a short in both. If you move it even slightly the light goes out.

Imagine--Can I charge them on the carto end? I have the bigger charger.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
Mine started doing that after one use in the car as a passthrough. SI will only honor the warranty if you use their cord, but if you're shopping for a better replacement cord after it goes out of warranty, here are a couple of good ones:
Amazon.com: Mediabridge - USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable - (5ft): Computers & Accessories
Coiled USB2 Cables - High Quality A to Mini B USB2 Cables

I could just contact CS to get another cable, but I'm not thrilled with the quality of those. It would probably just happen again.

I also have had a problem with a flackey(sp) cord. Sooo, I have decided to build my own "charging hub" using a power strip, wall chargers and an 360 degree adapter . I don't really use the cord as a passthru mainly because I don't like fighting with the cable. Besides, in other threads discussing charging, it appears that it might not be a good idea to have a Charger(+X2 ?) plugged in all the time. Chances are that if you are using it as a passthru the chances of it being plugged in all the time are pretty high. After reading this thread thread and this post("The USB adapter does not shut down and does maintain a "trickle" charge level."and "removing them from the charger once the LED goes off is the best policy "), I have decided to charge, remove and turn off everything. Better safe than sorry.:2c:

I know, probably overkill on my part. :toast:

Last edited:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I also have had a problem with a flackey(sp) cord. Sooo, I have decided to build my own "charging hub" using a power strip, wall chargers and an 360 degree adapter . I don't really use the cord as a passthru mainly because I don't like fighting with the cable. Besides, in other threads discussing charging, it appears that it might not be a good idea to have a Charger(+X2 ?) plugged in all the time. Chances are that if you are using it as a passthru the chances of it being plugged in all the time are pretty high. After reading this thread thread and this post("The USB adapter does not shut down and does maintain a "trickle" charge level."and "removing them from the charger once the LED goes off is the best policy "), I have decided to charge, remove and turn off everything. Better safe than sorry.:2c:

I know, probably overkill on my part. :toast:
I use a powered USB hub with dongles and the X2 cord. It has an on/off switch, and I'm pretty .... about removing charged batts within 8 hours (the safe zone, according to something I read somewhere else). But if you're using it as a passthrough and the blue light is on, I would think that it would be charging, not idly sitting there, which is when the damage may be happening. But I don't use it as a passthrough anymore, because I'm paranoid now about damaging the connector on the batt end...maybe unless I do the handy little rubber band trick posted on here earlier...

Last edited:

nightfell

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Massachusetts
Curious if this is happening with the new(er) long X2 cords? I'm actually interested in trying the bigger batts (I'm solely a cig-a-like guy right now) and was going to order an X2 along with some other stuff this week...

I was a cig-a-like gal, I do still use my volts. But I love my x2's the diameter is the size of an AA battery. I only have the new longer charging cables having that length at work is awesome.

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
I was a cig-a-like gal, I do still use my volts. But I love my x2's the diameter is the size of an AA battery. I only have the new longer charging cables having that length at work is awesome.
Have you had any trouble charging it with the new style cord, or is this charging issue they're talking about only happening with the old short cords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread