Anyone down to 0% nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
Hi All! Sorry if this is long. This place is a lifesaver. I was a 30 year PAD smoker. Tried all the recommendations to quit. Resigned to smoking forever. I heard of vaping in 2013 and found this site. The day my Ego arrived in the mail on April 15, 2013, I put down the cigs and haven’t had a puff since that day. (I still smoke in my dreams every night.) I started out at 18 mg, and went up to 24 for a while. I vaped way higher nicotine than my cigs had, and much more often. I even took my Ego pen to bed and put it under my pillow to use through the night. No matter how much Nicotine I inhaled, I still went through the same withdrawals that I did when quitting cold turkey, or the gum, or the patch, or setting a timer between smokes. It was obvious I wasn’t withdrawing from nicotine. It’s from whatever chemicals are in the cigarettes.

Over the last 7 years, I’ve gone down from 18mg, to 12, to 6, and now 3. Not by choice. I was happy at 18. I started getting lightheaded, so stepped down the nicotine in levels. Not because I wanted less nicotine, but because my body couldn’t handle it. I’m now at 3mg, and starting to getting lightheaded from it. Next step is 0mg. I’ve no problem going to no nicotine, but after so long, I can’t imagine not having the inhale/exhale/hand to mouth repetition.

Has anyone gotten to 0mg and still vapes, or have you broken the habit?

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Hi All! Sorry if this is long. This place is a lifesaver. I was a 30 year PAD smoker. Tried all the recommendations to quit. Resigned to smoking forever. I heard of vaping in 2013 and found this site. The day my Ego arrived in the mail on April 15, 2013, I put down the cigs and haven’t had a puff since that day. (I still smoke in my dreams every night.) I started out at 18 mg, and went up to 24 for a while. I vaped way higher nicotine than my cigs had, and much more often. I even took my Ego pen to bed and put it under my pillow to use through the night. No matter how much Nicotine I inhaled, I still went through the same withdrawals that I did when quitting cold turkey, or the gum, or the patch, or setting a timer between smokes. It was obvious I wasn’t withdrawing from nicotine. It’s from whatever chemicals are in the cigarettes.

Over the last 7 years, I’ve gone down from 18mg, to 12, to 6, and now 3. Not by choice. I was happy at 18. I started getting lightheaded, so stepped down the nicotine in levels. Not because I wanted less nicotine, but because my body couldn’t handle it. I’m now at 3mg, and starting to getting lightheaded from it. Next step is 0mg. I’ve no problem going to no nicotine, but after so long, I can’t imagine not having the inhale/exhale/hand to mouth repetition.

I once went to 0mg. I ended up quitting vaping all together. I just found I wasn't interested in it at 0mg and just wasn't vaping. I was smoke free and vape free for a couple of years. A disposable vape pen purchased on a whim got me back onto vaping.

I'd try 0mg if you are interested. A lot of people vape nic free, just for the oral sensation. If you get nic cravings, you can always go back.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2013
    In the Mountains
    I switched to vaping exactly two days before you did. I also had to go up to 24mg to get over the hump. From there on out I kept having to drop because the nic was just getting to strong for me. Eventually I went to zero nic but wasn't really a happy camper so currently at 4mg during the day and switching to Omg at night. Going without hand/mouth doesn't agree with me either. :( It's okay, I'm off the cigs and will never smoke again, which was my original goal. :)

Fiddle around and see what works for you, everybody is different. I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions to mull over. Congrats on being off the stinkies! :thumbs:

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I've looked into Bear Blend ceremonial herb e-liquids. It was enjoyable but a real coil killer. I am actually in the process of making my own extracts from their herbs as an alternative to nicotine e-liquids. I am hoping I can get mine to gunk up coils less than what they make: Introducing Liquid Herbz

Whether or not that is a healthier option for you, I can't speak to that. I am still doing research myself.

When I can't vape nic I still vape flavored e-liquids with 0 nic because I like vaping in and of itself. One weird thing is that I am inclined to vape more because my body is looking for the nicotine fix but isn't getting it. So I have to set myself a hard limit that I don't go over.

So like others have said, maybe give it a try but if it isn't working well you might just want to call it quits. You did a good job getting where you are, so you have it in you to go a little further.

On a side note, have you discussed with a doctor your lightheadedness and nicotine use? Maybe there is an underlying issue going on that you want to address.

Reactions: Katcandoo

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    Here is a question that the pro-vape lawyers should be asking - If some people are vaping for flavor and aroma and are not using nicotine or tobacco - What right does the government have to regulate vaping devices?
    The regulations supposedly come under the 'tobacco control act' - if your not vaping tobacco, what gives them the right to regulate the device???
    And what about if you are using nicotine derived from a non tobacco source {if there is such a thing} - Does the tobacco control act cover the chemical nicotine?
    Of course we all know the war against tobacco is based upon nicotine, so they could always change the law - But non nicotine vaping is more in the range of 'Aroma Therapy' and has little to do with smoking or vaping.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I switched in the spring of 2013 as well. I started around 28 mg/ml with the egos, but, like you, I'm down to 3 now. I'm always intrigued by the number of people who need a lot of of nicotine to get off cigs but then find it easy (or even necessary) to decrease their nicotine levels once they've switched. While it's not true for everyone, it does seem pretty common.

I have tried vaping 0 nic, but I didn't stick with it. It wasn't like cravings from quitting cigarettes; it was more like something vague was just missing.

If zero nic works for you, great. If not, you can always take a smaller step by mixing a bottle of 3 mg/ml with one with no nic and try out 1.5.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I once went to 0mg. I ended up quitting vaping all together. I just found I wasn't interested in it at 0mg and just wasn't vaping. I was smoke free and vape free for a couple of years. A disposable vape pen purchased on a whim got me back onto vaping.

I'd try 0mg if you are interested. A lot of people vape nic free, just for the oral sensation. If you get nic cravings, you can always go back.

I was nicotine free for about a year, got to where I was vaping less than a ml a week..

Went back to nicotine due to stess for about a year now..

Because of this surgery I'm about to have, doctor wants me at zero nicotine for about 6 months since nicotine hinders the healing process.. (3 absolute minimum)

But I'm not planning on stopping nicotine prior to surgery... as soon as I'm out of the hospital I'll be zero nicotine again for at least a while..

Done it before, do it again.. lol.. I don't need to step down though, not using much nicotine atm anyway.. shouldn't be a big deal.

Might be chain vaping the zero for a couple weeks since ill have a bit of withdrawal though, but once I'm through that it'll be gravy..

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA

I realized a while back that my addiction is now anyway much more about the hand-to-mouth and the mouthfeel and the vapor. I realized that when I accidentally Vape 0mg for a while without very many negative feelings. And since I didn't know I was vaping 0 milligram my brain didn't have time to kick in and screw me over. Anyhow right now I currently fate between 0 and 3 mg simply because I'm trying to finish up the Ejuice that I have left that's 3 + 1.5 LOL it doesn't seem to have any impact I can go from vaping 3 to 0 with no ill effect physically. That being said I never really had much of a issue with stepping down nicotine or switching up the milligrams while it does sound like you had some difficulties at some point with cravings. My advice would be to check it out go for it see how it works but don't dedicate yourself 100% to it and feel like a failure if it doesn't work out

Butters78

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Right now I’m at 2mg and plan on dropping to 1 soon. I plan on staying there for a while and then go to .5 for a few years. I know that’s hardly anything but with me in my mind if I know there is technically nic in there it will calm my cravings if that makes sense lol.

Reactions: Katcandoo

DaveOno

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dutchess County, New York
    I just want to say...

Thank you. Thanks to the creators of this vape thing. Thanks for the juice makers. Thanks to the do it yourselfers who mix their own, creating the robust market for our pg, vg, nicotines and flavors.

Thank you for giving ME the ability to be in TOTAL CONTROL of my nicotine intake.

I'm at 2.5mg. At some point, I might stop vaping, but at this low dose, I'm sure of my success. I might go on for years at 2 or under. But I have choice, and have taken the power, in control of my addiction.

@Katcandoo , all power and support, regardless of what you CHOOSE to do going forward. You are in control, not the evil cigarette.

:)

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 4, 2013
    Georgia , USA
    Here is a question that the pro-vape lawyers should be asking - If some people are vaping for flavor and aroma and are not using nicotine or tobacco - What right does the government have to regulate vaping devices?
    The regulations supposedly come under the 'tobacco control act' - if your not vaping tobacco, what gives them the right to regulate the device???
    And what about if you are using nicotine derived from a non tobacco source {if there is such a thing} - Does the tobacco control act cover the chemical nicotine?
    Of course we all know the war against tobacco is based upon nicotine, so they could always change the law - But non nicotine vaping is more in the range of 'Aroma Therapy' and has little to do with smoking or vaping.

This is off topic, but one I’ve also had questions about. I haven’t found any conclusive science that nicotine causes lung cancer. Most studies point to the inhalation of the smoke of burning tobacco as the culprit. I can grasp the reaching concept of second hand smoke. Barely. I no longer like smell of cigarette smoke, but if I’m just smelling it from 20 feet away, how much nicotine am I really absorbing? If I’m walking past a hamburger stand that smells delicious, how many calories do I gain? If there’s no smoke (burning of tobacco) and 0 to 3 mg nicotine in my vape, how am I harming and/or causing a health hazard in public? It’s a disingenuous aspect of the war against vaping. It’s more about control because it looks like smoking. Case in point: I live in a beach resort town. The city banned smoking on the beach. The beachgoers couldn’t tell the difference between smoking and vaping and would call 911 to report health violations. No more vaping allowed because it resembled smoking. They also banned alcohol on the beach. If I’m guzzling a bottle of vodka on the beach, they tattle. But if I pour it into my 30 oz tumbler and top it with orange juice, I can get wrecked in an afternoon. I still look like I’m drinking something liquid, but it’s not visually triggering.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread