Another solderless mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendo

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
After making a magnun style torch and using the 3 x aaa slug I decided to mod it for an 18650. As I already had the switch installed I didn't want to move it and leave a hole so I removed the clicky from the bottom to make up the extra space. This all worked ok and was quite pleased with the result but still had a spare from a recent DX order

This took less that 30 mins and only required 3 extra parts. A switch, mini connector (maplins) and a large washer

Parts list
DealExtreme: $2.95 Compact 9 LEDs Flashlight LED torch

Rapid Electronics - Electronic Components Switch

A large washer and mini connector

All you need to do is take the torch apart (3 pieces) and push out the button from the end cap. Remove the nut from the new switch and file down the pointed edges so it will fit inside the endcap. Screw the switch into the endcap and bend the connectors. One towards the centre for the battery connection. The other outwards to make contact with the shell. Here I had to use the mini connector for added length to make contact as the terminal was not long enough.
I cut a hole in the rubber button cap and placed over the switch inside

The washer I found in my toolbox and was almost perfect for the job. Just needed to open the hole slightly with a dremmel to fit the 510 battery connector. A small dab of superglue to secure it, just in case .

Inside the flashlight head there is a small metal ring that holds the led assembly in place. Lift up the edges to loosen it and it will pull out quite easily. At this point I used the Dremmel to remove some of the coating from the top inside flange to make a good contact with the washer

I rolled some card around the battery to take up the remaining slack in the case and taped it together.

Optional step
You can use the metal clip ring you removed from the torch head to secure the washer in the head but I left it out. As soon as I can find another washer the same size I'll make another connector for a 901.
You could just use an RCA connector instead but it makes a 510 atty about an inch longer

Thats it. Put it all together and vape :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread