Status
Not open for further replies.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
popsci.com/article/science/e-cigarettes-not-harmless-should-be-regulated-cigs-study-says?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=3&con=ecigarettes-not-harmless-should-be-regulated-like-cigs-study-says

Furthermore, when heated and vaporized, propylene glycol--often used in e-cigarettes to form aerosol particles--can form propylene oxide (*), a recognized carcinogen.

* - pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jp300997d
Propylene glycol (1) has been found to decompose according to three possible reaction pathways shown in Scheme 1. With a barrier of 91.0 kcal/mol, the first route is a dehydration reaction leading to allyl alcohol (5). The other two possible degradation schemes involve the formation of propylene oxide (2) as an intermediate, which can be formed much more easily than 5 by overcoming a reaction barrier of only 66.5 kcal/mol. Via hydrogen shift, propylene oxide (2) can decompose further, forming acetone (3) or propanal (4) with barriers of 67.0 and 58.6 kcal/mol, respectively. It can be concluded that propanal is the main product of the thermal decomposition of PG. Table 1 summarizes the thermodynamic and kinetic data computed for T = 800 K.
800 K = 980 F

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's time to Start Fighting Back.

Start by Contacting websites like this and Let them Know what you Feel.

http://www.popsci.com/contact-us?dom=PSC&loc=footer&lnk=3&cont=contact-us

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR:

Have questions/comments about articles that appear online or in print?

Send an email to letters@popsci.com or write a letter to the address below. Comments may be edited for space and clarity. Please include your address and daytime phone number. We regret that we cannot answer unpublished letters.

Popular Science
Letters
2 Park Ave., 9th Floor
New York, NY 10016

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
We are biased. It is hard, maybe impossible, for us to view the facts dispassionately. It seems that every article or study that mentions anything negative about vaping is being bashed -- by us.
I am starting to think regulations prohibiting ecig use in public places, especially in confined spaces, might be reasonable.

Last edited:

Anybody

Aug 1, 2013
Arlington, TX
We are biased. It is hard, maybe impossible, for us to view the facts dispassionately. It seems that every article or study that mentions anything negative about vaping is being bashed -- by us.
I am starting to think regulations prohibiting ecig use in public places, especially in confined spaces, might be reasonable.

We may be biased, but most of the negative press is simply wrong, or so overblown as to be laughable and therefore needs a bit of bashing. For example, the above article states that you can form propylene oxide through vaping. Well, you probably could if your PV could manage to get close to 1000 degrees. Personally I value my lungs (and life) too much to take a pull on a PV that hot, so its overblown and laughable and deserves to be called out on the carpet.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Really? Based on what? Have you read any of these studies (I guess not):

The Ultimate List of E-Cig Studies: Are E-Cigs Actually Safe? *Updated 2/16/14 » onVaping

The FDA, BT, BP and any ANTZ really appreciate vapers who "think?" this way.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area

I'm starting to think Cass Sunstein has already put his plan into action of seeding internet forums with government trolls who attempt to change the discourse and peddle the Establishment propaganda.

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
The FDA, BT, BP and any ANTZ really appreciate vapers who "think?" this way.
BT is on "our" side. They would be morally outraged at my suggestion that our freedom to vape in public might be harmful.

Quote from the study:
"Altria and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company maintain Web sites called Citizens for Tobacco Rights and Transform Tobacco. E-cigarette news and action alerts are featured on the home pages of these websites and include instructions for taking action against bills designed to include e-cigarette use in smoke-free laws."
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/129/19/1972.full

Last edited:

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
I'm starting to think Cass Sunstein has already put his plan into action of seeding internet forums with government trolls who attempt to change the discourse and peddle the Establishment propaganda.

I am tempted to deny that I am a government troll under the direction of Cass Sunstein, but I'm not going to do it because I would sound like Richard Nixon when he said he wasn't a crook.

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
We may be biased, but most of the negative press is simply wrong, or so overblown as to be laughable and therefore needs a bit of bashing. For example, the above article states that you can form propylene oxide through vaping. Well, you probably could if your PV could manage to get close to 1000 degrees. Personally I value my lungs (and life) too much to take a pull on a PV that hot, so its overblown and laughable and deserves to be called out on the carpet.

What you wrote is not a bash. It is a reasonable rebuttal. I'm talking about knee-jerk reactions like the one suggesting I'm in cahoots with the FDA and BT.

Sarin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
For a start that they are heating the PG to a way higher temperature than an coil or atomiser would reach and secondly you have to have a bit of common sense. Are e-cigarettes safe? Well i can tell you that the human lungs are not designed to be filled with a combination of vaporised PG and VG, they are designed to accept oxygen. Therefore there could be a risk further down the line. Are they safer than smoking analogs, yes i personally think so. If you're after a completely safe smoking experience then i'm afraid you're going to be severely disappointed. It's about time that people realised that vaping isn't like smoking, it's sometime new and everything new has risks. Don't want to risk it then don't vape.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
BT is on "our" side. They would be morally outraged at my suggestion that our freedom to vape in public might be harmful.

Quote from the study:
"Altria and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company maintain Web sites called Citizens for Tobacco Rights and Transform Tobacco. E-cigarette news and action alerts are featured on the home pages of these websites and include instructions for taking action against bills designed to include e-cigarette use in smoke-free laws."
E-Cigarettes

Ah, I'm afraid you have been deceived. BT is working with the FDA on regulations that will allow them to be the only option left in the game. They have actively lobbied against the selling of vaping gear/eliquid via the internet. It is no coincidence that the Deeming Regulations equivalency rule goes back to 2007 as the only gear that is acceptable without millions of dollars in application fees. This is all that BT sells.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Having the support of the fair and balanced Repealicans at Faux News is a dubious honor.
Survey: People Who Watch No News Know More Than Fox Viewers | Blog | Media Matters for America

You are a fine example of how that is a BS survey that has been discredited many times before.

The facts still remain, it is the only national news organization supportive of vaping through it's commentary. Your comments in this thread demonstrate a significant lack of knowledge and understanding of the facts on vaping.

kachuge

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
ALERT! DON'T VAPE URINE! IT TURNS INTO AMMONIA!

Human urine is one of the most excellent sources of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium for plants, delivered in liquid form that’s perfect for mixing, diluting, or instant use. Not only that, we all have a constant, year-round supply of it - and it's free! ...not to mention plentiful..lol.

Fresh human urine is sterile and so free from bacteria, that in fact it can be drunk when fresh; it’s only when it is older than 24 hours that the urine turns into ammonia. At this stage it's too strong for use on plants, but can be poured undiluted onto the compost heap, and it makes a great compost accelerator/activator, with the extra bonus of adding more nutrients to your compost....

But don't vape it, it turns into ammonia and other fun stuff.

...and that is my warning to fellow vapors....

Disclaimer: Please excuse my sarcasm, but at least what I am saying is true and not misleading.

G

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread