Another online e-cigarette survey published

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
[h=4]vaping’ profiles and preferences: an online survey of electronic cigarette users[/h]http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/add.12150/abstract

[h=4]Conclusions[/h]E-cigarettes are used primarily for smoking cessation, but for a longer duration than nicotine replacement therapy, and users believe them to be safer than smoking.

This survey was conducted in 2011 and 2012 in the UK.

From full text version of published article.

"The majority of respondents reported that e-cigarette use (vaping) had dramatically reduced their craving for cigarettes and helped them to stop or substantially reduce their tobacco consumption. Very few respondents reported using non-nicotine (0 mg) containing cartridges/liquid. E-cigarettes were generally considered to be satisfying to use, associated with very few side effects, healthier than smoking, and responsible for improved cough and breathing. Compared with current smokers, significantly more ex-smokers reported that vaping dramatically reduced their craving for tobacco smoking... Compared to tobacco smoking, vaping was associated with lower craving and longer time until first use in the morning, suggesting a lower level of dependence to e-cigarettes than to smoking. Nevertheless, only a third of the sample reported that they had attempted to cut down their e-cigarette use with varying levels of success."

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The abstract of this study failed to acknowledge that 83% (n=1,123) of the e-cigarette consumers who participated in this survey (prompted by postings on TECC and Totally Wicked websites) indicated that they had quit smoking by switching to e-cigarettes, while 16% (n=218) of participants indicated that still smoked cigarettes.

So a more accurate title or conclusion of this study would have been
"Survey finds 83% of e-cigarette consumers quit smoking with devices"

But to confuse readers, the authors divided the participants into two groups labelled "current smokers" and "ex-smokers" (with the latter being comprised of those who said they quit smoking by switching), and then the authors compared responses by "current smokers" to those of "ex-smokers".

A problem that has arisen with vaper surveys that label and classify vapers who have completely quit smoking as "ex-smokers" is that many/most public health advocates inaccurately consider "ex-smokers" who use e-cigarettes to be folks who had completely quit smoking and then began using e-cigarettes (after they quit smoking).

I can already hear e-cig prohibitionists citing this study claiming "We are very concerned that far more ex-smokers are using e-cigarettes than current smokers."

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
This is why I'm always leery of online surveys if I don't know what the results are going to be used for. Numbers and statistics can be massaged to fit anyone's purposes. I don't put any faith in their conclusions. Only serious and controlled scientific studies with peer reviews for me, thank you!
1-ThumbsUp_2_zps761df60f.gif

On-line Survey's and Polls seem to impress the public.
The assumption is the data was submitted by the serious
and well informed ... which this country has a serious shortage !!

We see this crap on the news all the time ...
A recent Survey/Poll indicates ...
1-BlaBla.gif

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
1-ThumbsUp_2_zps761df60f.gif

On-line Survey's and Polls seem to impress the public.
The assumption is the data was submitted by the serious
and well informed ... which this country has a serious shortage !!

We see this crap on the news all the time ...
A recent Survey/Poll indicates ...
1-BlaBla.gif

Yep, polls and surveys are nothing more than opinions. We can comment all we want about our personal experience with vaping, but not until there is a serious scientific study(ies) made we won't make any headway for our vaping freedom.

PS: There have already been some very good studies done such as Dr. Konstantino's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JacIhBpjsjE&list=PLDAE40C7D00D25098&index=2. But obviously these have not been enough to shut the mouths of the naysayers. Mainly because of the misinformation going around, and the fear of people that includes some vapers.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
RosaJ wrote

Yep, polls and surveys are nothing more than opinions. We can comment all we want about our personal experience with vaping, but not until there is a serious scientific study(ies) made we won't make any headway for our vaping freedom.

Survey data (especially data from published surveys) is scientific evidence. Otherwise, scientific journals would never publish the results of surveys.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
RosaJ wrote

Survey data (especially data from published surveys) is scientific evidence. Otherwise, scientific journals would never publish the results of surveys.

They are evidence of the feeling of people in the sample's responses to the questions as they were phrased.

Useful sociology data when done right.

But I would not like to see the AMA adopt brain surgery standards from the results of a public opinion poll on how to do brain surgery.

jtpjc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Last edited:

WalkinRuin

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Livermore, CA, USA
The surveys I've taken (two, one unfinished) shows they are having problems with the idea behind vaping. To me when they say quit smoking I think they mean quit nicotine. The also never use the phrase "smoking tobacco" as in "quit smoking tobacco", just quit smoking which probably means quit nicotine.

The non-smokers at work, when they seem me outside vaping, since it looks like i am still smoking, they chuckle when I explain. To the tobacco smokers at work, they know I've quit smoking and ask many questions.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The surveys I've taken (two, one unfinished) shows they are having problems with the idea behind vaping. To me when they say quit smoking I think they mean quit nicotine. The also never use the phrase "smoking tobacco" as in "quit smoking tobacco", just quit smoking which probably means quit nicotine.

The non-smokers at work, when they seem me outside vaping, since it looks like i am still smoking, they chuckle when I explain. To the tobacco smokers at work, they know I've quit smoking and ask many questions.
See reply #10 ... Click Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread