Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I only buy genuine joyetech Ego's, and their charger to go with them. For my mods, I buy AW batteries and bought a good PILA charger.

I use REOs, and the one time I had an atty short (I was playing around and caused the short, I knew somewhat ahead of time) the spring collapsed instantly and thus the battery was disconnected from the firing source.

I feel safe.

I never leave anything on a charger longer than it needs, I let my batteries "rest" after coming off the charger before using, and if an ego starts acting funny, or takes too long to charge, or anything weird with batt or charger, I toss it.

People are clamoring for the cheap no name stuff from fasttech, but not me. I want a thoughtfully made ecig, from a maker I trust, and I carefully research the safety features built in before I buy......then I buy the best batts and charger, and then also practice battery safety.

Saving $ is not worth my peace of mind.

I've had my share of products that don't work right, and learned the hard way. Lost more $ doing that than i would have "doing it right" in the first place.

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
Not saying they cannot be charged fast. That is why they sell RAPID chargers. Never the less proper charging for sustained battery life is best done by SLOW charging and or conditioning.
I can put a flight pack back in service at the field in about 15 minutes with my Rapid charger.
Same battery pack gets about a 4hr charge at home.

200mah charger would be better for a 650 than the 420mah chargers that sell with them, but people are always in a hurry.

Does anyone make an actual "smart" charger for eGo style batteries? If not, is there a decent RC charger that could be adapted for use with eGo batteries?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Does anyone make an actual "smart" charger for eGo style batteries? If not, is there a decent RC charger that could be adapted for use with eGo batteries?

Haven't come across any in the e-cig industry.
Any good conditioning charger similar to the Imax B6 could be adapted and used in S-1 mode(Single cell)
However, the internal circuit of the battery control head may come into effect as it allows/reads charging and state.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
People don't like to take credit for their own stupidity. They would rather blame the device when used improperly. If there IS fault with the device, then by all means blame the device.

Some people will use any excuse to continue an addiction in the way they are most comfortable.

True story. A friend of mine is an Aetna insurance adjuster. A few years ago, an avid AOL chatroom fanatic started lunch in the kitchen, then sat down to chat a few minutes. She then went into the bathroom and started drawing herself a bath. Then she sat back down to chat and she had a fire and a flood in the same day.

She then tried to sue AOL for creating an "attractive nuisance" and Aeta for charging an exhorbitant deductible.

The moral of the story is that as much as we try to make this world idiot proof, the world keeps producing bigger idiots.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
cruise.jpg

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA

Attachments

• warning - microwave.jpg
    warning - microwave.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 94

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
Haven't come across any in the e-cig industry.
Any good conditioning charger similar to the Imax B6 could be adapted and used in S-1 mode(Single cell)
However, the internal circuit of the battery control head may come into effect as it allows/reads charging and state.

Nice charger. Do you own one of these (or something similar)? It seems like this would be better for charging and maintaining mod batteries than the typical NiteCore, etc.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
In all three of the most recent incidents of battery venting (NOT exploding, as the stories suggest), two were obvious user error.

The lady who left her eGo battery attached to a USB car adapter while unattended in the desert southwest did something dumb.

The guy who's the subject of this thread did too--the surviving battery shows obvious signs of abuse and that's a death sentence to any Li-Ion battery system.

The third one--the lady who's battery vented during an attended car charging session was at least using the devices as they were marketed and intended. Whether or not that battery or charger were in good condition or not, we don't know (it'll come out in discovery if she presses litigation).

But in all three cases, the batteries vented while being charged using ports of uncertain output, on chargers that tend to favor speed of charging over safety.

Given the millions of people vaping, these are relatively rare incidents and to the best of my admittedly speculative information, all three of the recent ones were preventable.

crawler65

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
Nice charger. Do you own one of these (or something similar)? It seems like this would be better for charging and maintaining mod batteries than the typical NiteCore, etc.
Yes, they are much better. I have been playing in the RC world for years, so with that knowlage of batteries and chargers I would never trust a battery to any of the chargers I have seen at Fast Tech. With a good hobby grade charger you can PROPERLY charge almost any battery.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I have probably learned everything I know about battery safety on this forum. I have been around a long while and these things are not known by the general population. Now I am even careful with flashlight batteries but never would have even thought there could be a problem with them years ago.

Very true I hope vendors are telling people how to use them properly.

But ultimately its your responsibility when you use something to know how to use it safely and or properly.

I dont feel sorry for someone on the news crying victim when if they would of taken a little time to read the directions they would of had no problems to start with. Or did something just dumb and demands compensation for there stupidity.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Very true I hope vendors are telling people how to use them properly.

But ultimately its your responsibility when you use something to know how to use it safely and or properly.

I dont feel sorry for someone on the news crying victim when if they would of taken a little time to read the directions they would of had no problems to start with. Or did something just dumb and demands compensation for there stupidity.

I do think there's a responsibility on the vendors' part to provide at least some measure of warning at the time of sale, and in writing.

Every device I've ever bought that included a rechargeable battery has a manual with an extensive explanation of how these things can be dangerous if abused or used improperly. I'm not sure e-cig consumers are getting that right now. I still think it's on them to figure it out, but I also think a fair warning is a good thing.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I think that the problem with some of the eGo charging failures is the chargers. All of the eGo chargers that I have seen are crap designs. I've bought about 5 of them, and one of them became unsafe to use after a fairly short amount of time.

The problem with that one? It will still charge an eGo, but does not stop charging it when it should. It was a genuine Joyetech product bought from a vendor who only bought Joyetech eGos. This is a major problem that I was lucky to become suspicious of, when it was still charging after almost 3 hours. When I took the battery off and carefully checked the voltage, it was near 4.4v.

It seems to me that at least a couple of the cases that I have seen with eGos failing while charging may have been the same problem. The charger should fail to function at all, if the charge termination part of the circuit fails.

I expect to see more of these stories, as I don't think that the chargers will be redesigned anytime soon. I'd bet that if someone designed a 'smarter' eGo charger, they could probably sell them easily.

That said, I still use two of the chargers that I bought over 1.5 years ago, and they still work fine. I just keep a better eye on them, now.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Before you jump on the joyetech bandwagon, most all batteries are made in the same factory as knockoffs. You take your chances with any of them.

If that was for me, I don't put much more trust in Joyetech than in the 'knockoffs'. Everything made out there seems to be part of a never-ending battle of knocking off by any company that can break into the game. I just know that many put too much faith in Joyetech. Having a reasonably big name, with much to lose, does tend to make companies somewhat more conscientious, some of the time.

I think that all of the eGo chargers, regardless of brand, are essentially the same circuit, which was poorly designed from a safety standpoint. I believe that the market will eventually force a better design, though I think that it'll take a lot more bad publicity to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread