Americans Over 65 Increasingly Using Cannabis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I found this article to be particularly amusing. It centers around data showing a spike in cannabis use amongst people in the 65 and older age group.

The humor is two fold: first, duh? The 65+ age group is increasingly dominated by baby boomers. Of course the former hippy generation is returning to cannabis now that it’s legal. This is some big surprise??

Second, look how jittery the doctor is that they interviewed for the piece. “Oh! They might get dizzy!! They might mix it with alcohol!!” I mean, he makes a good point about people with diabetes taking it up. That probably isn’t a great idea since it tends to lower blood sugar. But some of the other comments are very amusing.

Marijuana use is rising sharply among seniors over 65, study says, and there are serious risks - CNN

The piece is kind of click bait anyway. I doubt many are actually losing sleep over 65+ people getting high.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Yes that generation enjoyed it my older brother did until he passed on at 43 from massive heart attack me being 5 years younger also enjoyed it until job started random testing. Since retirement and being legal here i enjoy it not 65 but could collect ss if i wanted to.
Whats different now a days are the names given to marijuana strains and all the hybrids .Not so funny are the prices at the dispensaries at least here.

Lavarda

Moved On
May 5, 2020
  • Deleted by Misty

Lavarda

Moved On
May 5, 2020
  • Deleted by Misty

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I didn't know about these statistics. Now I'm thinking of trying to get a cannabis education and basically, I use CBD liquid for e-cigarettes. Dieseler, you can try growing weed if you are allowed to. This is a very interesting hobby, in my opinion. I hope I won't be banned, but you can read about weed growth cycles here https://www.marijuanabreak.com/cannabis/growing/the-cannabis-plant-growth-cycle

Hi, cannot grow it here in Illinois for rec users .
Up to 5 plants can be grown if one has a medical card here.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can only grow in AZ if you are a certain number of miles from a dispensary. I forget how many.

I will say about the seniors, "OMG what if they get LAZY? What if they don't want to do anything and "drop out of society?" What if they like, "Refuse to go to work or their brains get scrambled on that crazy weed?" "What if they have premarital sex due to their lowered inhibitions?" "What if they drive they already have glaucoma, oh wait, MJ treats glaucoma but OH MY!" Etc.

I think it's just fine for the over 65 crowd to either use it medicinally or go nuts on it for fun personally, I simply do not care. Even my 73 year old mommy uses a salve mostly CBD but with enough MJ like 3% to deliver effective pain relief. Good for her say I, it's a lot healthier than Aleve, I mean..

Yep not getting all excited and good job boomers for giving back to the economy.

Anna

Reactions: Fog n Vape

Lavarda

Moved On
May 5, 2020
  • Deleted by Misty

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
All I can say is I took a quick look about cannabis and diabetes and got two IMMEDIATELY conflicting results, you space out and forget your appetite and like, get too low blood sugar, or it makes you eat like a hog, resulting in too high blood sugar.

That tells me NO person knows, honestly, it's just ridiculous theory. They are talking about MENTAL effects, not physical ones. I bet it could physically stabilize blood sugar completely OR send it into wide swings but since neither article was particularly "weighty" we should all allow diabetics to do what they want man, just like we already do. I mean if they are above 18 and not type one which allows for a sort of horrific CPS business to creep in some places.

Holy God there is a cat in heat out there. Or, it has rabies. I am NOT going out there dear GOD.
Anna

Reactions: Surf Monkey

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    it's because smoking pot leads to ordering pizza.

giphy.gif

• Informative
    Reactions: Fog n Vape

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
    ECF Veteran
    May 28, 2009
    Sesame Street
    All I can say is I took a quick look about cannabis and diabetes and got two IMMEDIATELY conflicting results, you space out and forget your appetite and like, get too low blood sugar, or it makes you eat like a hog, resulting in too high blood sugar.

That tells me NO person knows, honestly, it's just ridiculous theory. They are talking about MENTAL effects, not physical ones. I bet it could physically stabilize blood sugar completely OR send it into wide swings but since neither article was particularly "weighty" we should all allow diabetics to do what they want man, just like we already do. I mean if they are above 18 and not type one which allows for a sort of horrific CPS business to creep in some places.

Holy God there is a cat in heat out there. Or, it has rabies. I am NOT going out there dear GOD.
    Anna

Conventional wisdom suggests that THC lowers blood sugar leading to increased appetite. Lowering blood sugar can be problematic for diabetics, obviously. But this aspect along with many others is not well understood as research into these compounds has been limited thanks to cannabis being schedule one.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Trust me, the government has vaulted many PERFECTLY useful experiments that probably told us a lot. There are other darker ones to do with acid although I think there are a few brave researchers still testing PTSD victims with ... and like, whatnot. IDK if I had PTSD I might not *care* but I don't I have BIOPLAR so I would care if I was fed acid very, very much.

Honestly though, you just never can tell. If you had told me Ketamine was going to become a legit SUPER DUPE tx resistant antidepressant, I would have laughed in your FACE.

And yet, it is so, and it is so because it should be. They are finding the longer people come in for their ah, "infusions" the longer they may be able to go between treatments.

I was following it CLOSELY in the black days before lithium LET me tell you. (That and Riluzole, although if you think that drug is gonna like, GIVE UP ITS ORPHAN drug status for the merely depressed, I am here to tell you THEY WON'T.) I really wanted some dang Rilluzole, to the point I was perusing importing it as a "research chemical." It was still too much plus I was like uuuhnn Anna you have no way to know its purity how you gonna handle that? But a month's supply of that crud runs like over 1 k dollars. I thought about writing to them but they are such, um, unmentionables. The Riluzolle experiments well, the actually MADE you buy the drug (The researchers I mean) which is simply unheard of holy Jesus.

If my kidneys ever die on me, well I'm getting Ketamine. It works and surprisingly enough the FDA said "peace out." I mean, they practically didn't even use if for anesthesia (except maybe for horses) any more. Not sure if it was a goodwill gesture or just a "We don't care about depressed people" but either way stellar work, FDA.

Color me surprised but glad to have a weapon in the arsenal.

But if you go back to the 70s you will, ah, read some astonishing studies that will make you doubt in the goodness of human kind.

There is still all this military crud we probably know nothing about but I am not sure I WISH to.

I mean, they're fascinating and all, the studies, but you could NOT pay me enough, let alone 50 dollars, to let someone SHOCK me, and then not even let that person HEAR what they are doing, until they shocked me to DEATH. Yeah, that happened.

Anna

• Love
    Reactions: Surf Monkey
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread