Am I the only one? Looooooong lasting Kayfun coil.

Finks

Feb 1, 2024
Hello all, Am I the only one?

So I am vaping for about 10 years now, and i have tried a lot of tanks, drippers and squonkers and a lot of coils. Prebuilt and homemade. MTL and DL. However.

I always preferred mouth to lung as my adv. So now I settled in a strange habit.

I vape my favorite tank now, the Kayfun V5 with a self build 1 Ohm Canthal Clapton coil with Japanese cotton. The strange thing is that my coil last over a year.

I start a clean vape at 17Watts, slowly my coil will get a bit dirty and I need to up my wattage. After about a month (sometimes longer), when I am at like 22Watts, I will clean my coil and rewick. There will be a bunch of build up on the coil witch i burn/wash off until it is spotless.

Am I the only one? What wattage do you guys vape your Kayfun V5?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Sounds pretty typical, imo.

I also vape mtl, mostly in older Kayfuns, at 8.5 watts. Although I use simple coils, yeah, a year isn't out of question. Clean, dry burn and rewick. Kanthal is "nice" that way, not all coil metals are safe to dry burn.

Unless I deform the coil when putting the new wick in, I usually only recoil when the resistance goes higher than I like. (I build to 1.5 ohm, when they get near 2 I'll replace.)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I use regular round wire coils and I don't get 1 year on KF5. And I vape rather clean juice and barely sweet juice. I mean, I suppose I could get that longevity by dry burning the coil, but after a few times dry burning I'd just rather change the coil.

I also have to rewick about once a week otherwise I get dry hits and leaking through the AFC.

Finks

Feb 1, 2024
    No issues with the dry hits, maybe your juice is a bit thicker, I am about 50/50, Maybe 60/40 on the VG side (special way of mixing, I just do it by feel).
    But i do get the leaking after some time, but that is also around the same time where the flavor is best imo. The leaking does stop after a short time for me. Sometimes i need to give the cotton a little push (usually when i cut it a bit too short).

And yes, only Canthal of course. I did have a TC period, usually nicke (nijachrome :D)l , those didn't even last a rewick, too soft.

So it is normal to use the coil for longer.... I am still from those days where we kept on replacing the wire. Thought i got lazy :D

Last edited:
    Reactions: DavidOck

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    Using a Kayfun Prime my coils do last for months. If they break I break them when I'm switching out the wick.
    After a dry burn I'll wait a few minutes to let It cool down before slipping In a rod to re-shape and re-position the coil. That's when It could potentially break especially If It's still hot.
    But yeah, been using the same 29g Kanthal round wire coil about 6 months or so. The 29g Is just about right because It keeps It's shape no matter how many times I re-wick.
    Anything thinner makes things difficult, and anything thicker means just having to use more power which would be pointless for me.
    2mm Id / 5 wraps / 1 ohm / 12w.
    DTL 24mg Menthol.

lamywaby

Moved On
    Feb 8, 2023
    Hello all, Am I the only one?

So I am vaping for about 10 years now, and i have tried a lot of tanks, drippers and squonkers and a lot of coils. Prebuilt and homemade. MTL and DL. However.

I always preferred mouth to lung as my adv. So now I settled in a strange habit.

I vape my favorite tank now, the Kayfun V5 with a self build 1 Ohm Canthal Clapton coil with Japanese cotton. The strange thing is that my coil last over a year.

I start a clean vape at 17Watts, slowly my coil will get a bit dirty and I need to up my wattage. After about a month (sometimes longer) home remodeling issaquah wa, when I am at like 22Watts, I will clean my coil and rewick. There will be a bunch of build up on the coil witch i burn/wash off until it is spotless.

Am I the only one? What wattage do you guys vape your Kayfun V5?
    No, you're not alone in your vaping habits. Many vapers have their own unique routines and preferences when it comes to wattage and coil maintenance. While some may prefer higher wattages for a warmer vape, others like yourself find satisfaction at lower wattages for a smoother draw. Your approach of gradually increasing wattage and cleaning the coil when necessary is a practical way to maintain performance and longevity. It's great that you've found a setup that works well for you with the Kayfun V5 tank.

Users who are viewing this thread