All of the buzz, none of the smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Thread title is the headline to this nicely evenhanded article.

One rather desperate-sounding quote from Jinlene Chan, acting deputy officer of public health for some county Health Department, caught my eye:

The electronic cigarette has no tar, carbon monoxide or smoke that is linked to lung cancer from cigarettes. But Chan said nicotine causes damage to the cardiovascular system and there is no evidence that electronic cigarettes do not have any secondhand smoke effects.

(my emphasis)

No smoke, but no evidence that there's no secondhand smoke. Oooookay.

On the down side, there's a Smoking Everywhere guy making unproven health claims :(

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
The electronic cigarette has no tar, carbon monoxide or smoke that is linked to lung cancer from cigarettes. But Chan said nicotine causes damage to the cardiovascular system and there is no evidence that electronic cigarettes do not have any secondhand smoke effects.

(my emphasis)

Good catch, Strayling!

That line is irritating - there's no evidence that a burning candle has any secondhand smoke effects, either, but you don't see people up in arms about those!

And her ending line - that you could "give them to a 5 year old" because there's no age restriction - GRRRRRRRRR!:mad:

The slapdown continues - somebody needs to get Smoking Everywhere the hell away from the news - with a spokescompany like that we don't need enemies!

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
Makes me wish it was njoy setting up stalls in all those Malls. I have no idea if their PVs are any good, but they do seem to know what to say to the press.

I'm certain they've hired a legal whiz to make sure the correct words are placed in the correct mouth.

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
" If you're a nonsmoker, the risk of addiction is something that will stay with you for a lifetime."

"Nicotine is extremely addictive."

These were the two parts I found most interesting. I wasn't aware these were being marketed to non-smokers. Oh wait, they're not.

The crack about giving it to a 5yr old just ticked me off.:-x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread