Not open for further replies.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
krisma !
here in the us we have a store called hobby lobby they have a kit with 3 inks blending solution and one bottle called mixative . its a nice gold metallic .also has other stuff and some paper ...sure looks like high gloss inkjet photo paper . and with a coupon 40% of was cheaper then elsewhere for three bottles of ink , with schipping .
they also have the ice resin . but small bottles will see if I can find it in larger quanteties .
just finished a pwm mod works great . doming I understand but used it only for like on a magnetic switch a piece of bullet casing and filled it with resin after one of the magnet are glued in , makes one part of the switch and at the same time a nice botton. also drilled a hole in the outer casing backed up with scotch tape and a few drops of resin . makes a little lens to put a very small led behind .
hope I wont have to much of a learning curve with the flat panel types . it looks you poor it on and don't use a pipette or syringe . all in one shot ? or in two layers ?
another thing I will try later is to use a chuck I build for cutting glass tubing it has a gear reduction motor on it. used it for varnishing and works great no runs . should work with the resin to .will try and let you know.
are we having fun jet?

We are definitely having fun. I am doing one pour, only because I worked out how much I need and it gets a bit chaotic doing too many at one time. I level desert spoon of each part mixed in a little plastic cup is just right for each panel plus the buttons. I have another couple of sets that are just curing so they will be ready tomorrow. :p

Chemical Bromance

Like a Ninja!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2016
Fantasy Island
Thank you. :p
Don't mention it. I sent a link to this thread to a friend and he's blown away too!! Nice work!!

Yupo is made from polypropylene. We use it for when we make retail tags, tent cards or postcards that need to with stand some handling without disintegrating like paper.

Reactions: Krisma

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
Another very pretty in real life one. Pity photos don't quite do it justice. More lava rock like this time.

now that is over the top !!!
is that only one color ? and than lightened with blending solution ?
just have to order more collors ...and a white tile to practice on .
any fixative for the first coat ? sure would like to know the secrets to this one .

Reactions: Sir Kadly

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
now that is over the top !!!
is that only one color ? and than lightened with blending solution ?
just have to order more collors ...and a white tile to practice on .
any fixative for the first coat ? sure would like to know the secrets to this one .

:p That one is almost accidental. I was trying to get the purples to stick by using various colours on the base coat. I used black for the highlight and it was just dreadful so I wiped it. The black left a stain on the yupo (where you see the purple) and I tried to follow the stain with the amethyst and then when I used the Reds it picked up some tinges of the black as well. I don't like using the blending solution because I like the colours to have some depth.

These seem to just happen and I jokingly tell my hubby that I don't think I could replicate them on purpose. You will see what I mean when you start playing with them.

This is another one done with the watermelon colour with touches of amethyst as the highlight and while it's pretty in your face bright it does not match any of my BB's. It started off with a lovely contrast but I lost the purple again so it left a subtle shadow of the design (a bit murky)

Another way to practice is......I had some clear book covering film that I just put over some white card. You can just wipe that clean as well.

Last edited:

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
:p That one is almost accidental. I was trying to get the purples to stick by using various colours on the base coat. I used black for the highlight and it was just dreadful so I wiped it. The black left a stain on the yupo (where you see the purple) and I tried to follow the stain with the amethyst and then when I used the Reds it picked up some tinges of the black as well. I don't like using the blending solution because I like the colours to have some depth.

These seem to just happen and I jokingly tell my hubby that I don't think I could replicate them on purpose. You will see what I mean when you start playing with them.

This is another one done with the watermelon colour with touches of amethyst as the highlight and while it's pretty in your face bright it does not match any of my BB's. It started off with a lovely contrast but I lost the purple again so it left a subtle shadow of the design (a bit murky)

Another way to practice is......I had some clear book covering film that I just put over some white card. You can just wipe that clean as well.

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
krisma !
the more I work with it the more fascinating it gets ! need more collors and went to the store and found some of the collors are not marked at all on the bottle others are marked on the back where you cant see them when they are in a package of three . the store opened a couple of packages for me . one of the bottles I got in the kit is not market either the label is like a brown leather color it is a very bright jello . sure not helpful to find a certain color . guess I have to order singles by name .
what is surprising to me is that nobody comented on your matching drip tips !! and how you done that .
beutifull .

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
krisma !
the more I work with it the more fascinating it gets ! need more collors and went to the store and found some of the collors are not marked at all on the bottle others are marked on the back where you cant see them when they are in a package of three . the store opened a couple of packages for me . one of the bottles I got in the kit is not market either the label is like a brown leather color it is a very bright jello . sure not helpful to find a certain color . guess I have to order singles by name .
what is surprising to me is that nobody comented on your matching drip tips !! and how you done that .
beutifull .

We make the driptips ourselves (I show all those pics in my blog) even though I have oodles of them I still need to match some of them a bit better.

I will have a look at my colours and see if I can see what it is.

Reactions: Sir Kadly

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Beautiful work Krisma. Thanks for the links and the info. Gotta learn more and maybe try this...

Is great fun and for someone like me with few actual skills it's a neat way of being creative. :p

I am still discovering lots of different ways of doing things and the effects you can get with different materials.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
Such beautiful work, Krisma. I've been admiring these since you began posting them and I can tell you're having great fun with this. :)

I have a mod now that I think might lend itself well to something like this. I got an eVic AIO and it comes with the stickers to customize the front and back panels. I'm thinking I could use the Yupo paper and double sided tape to make my own stickers to place on the AIO. Does this sound feasible to you? I'd have to mount them before final cure as there's a slight curve to the mod. There's also a slight recessed area where the stickers are placed so I think that would help give it a more polished look.

I'm really excited about this media and find myself checking out all sorts of things for possible application. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Such beautiful work, Krisma. I've been admiring these since you began posting them and I can tell you're having great fun with this. :)

I have a mod now that I think might lend itself well to something like this. I got an eVic AIO and it comes with the stickers to customize the front and back panels. I'm thinking I could use the Yupo paper and double sided tape to make my own stickers to place on the AIO. Does this sound feasible to you? I'd have to mount them before final cure as there's a slight curve to the mod. There's also a slight recessed area where the stickers are placed so I think that would help give it a more polished look.

I'm really excited about this media and find myself checking out all sorts of things for possible application. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

I definitely think it would and I have one of them coming as well so I can join you in the play. Plus they give you spare stickers to use as a template. I cut the panels after I finish a larger piece. You never know which bit looks the best. :p

I think the key with the curves is to time the mounting of the panels and depending on the thickness of your resin. The good thing about the resin is the lovely edge so even if it sticks out from the inset ridge it is still nice to the touch.

I use the 3m super sticky double sided glue sheets which I am sure you will be able to source. (It is much stronger than normal double side tape) and I have not taken the step of permanent fixture. Just in case I make more that I like better. :p

I would love to see other people posting their creations.......the possibilities are endless.

Reactions: Marina2

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Years ago I used to make small lamps out of wine bottles and other materials - I was thinking about trying to get back into that hobby and think this application would make them more unique...

If you are doing it on glass you can set fire to the alcohol and get even better colours and designs. ROFL
I was getting a bit aggressive with the flambé technique on the tiles but had to stop when I shifted to yupo (it melts)

Reactions: Semiretired

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
If you are doing it on glass you can set fire to the alcohol and get even better colours and designs. ROFL
I was getting a bit aggressive with the flambé technique on the tiles but had to stop when I shifted to yupo (it melts)

How well does the final finish hold up to wear and tear. If it is anything like resin I have worked with in the past it should be fairly permanent and strong.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
The good thing about the resin is the lovely edge so even if it sticks out from the inset ridge it is still nice to the touch.
I know what you mean about the edges. My brother works with Envirotex. He's an artist and sometimes paints on seashells (sand dollars) and coats them with it. They come out like glass with perfect edges.

I'm glad to hear that you think it might work and I can't wait to see what you come up with when you get yours. Oh lord, I'm off to Hobby Lobby tomorrow. :D

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I know what you mean about the edges. My brother works with Envirotex. He's an artist and sometimes paints on seashells (sand dollars) and coats them with it. They come out like glass with perfect edges.

I'm glad to hear that you think it might work and I can't wait to see what you come up with when you get yours. Oh lord, I'm off to Hobby Lobby tomorrow. :D

These inks are as addictive as shinies. Can't say I am bored with vaping anymore :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread