AGA-T2 Trial and error... coils and wicks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thxone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Concord, NC
In the photo I see little hairs of silica hanging off where you bent the wick over above the coil. That stuff freaks me out. I know I smoked for 20+ years on Camels and Marlboros but now I see that and wonder if it is dangerous. I worked in construction for years and know that fiber glass insulation is highly dangerous to breath little bits of. I am concerned that this silica has similar properties and have not found any evidence to show that my concern is un-warranted.

Do you have any insight on this?

I am with you on the being a little worried but there is danger I am sure in almost everything we do. Maybe a post filter in the drip tip? Loose cotton or something just to catch any silica if it actually comes loose? I don't know. I have yet to see any silica laying in the condensation or even in the mouthpiece...

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
I am with you on the being a little worried but there is danger I am sure in almost everything we do. Maybe a post filter in the drip tip? Loose cotton or something just to catch any silica if it actually comes loose? I don't know. I have yet to see any silica laying in the condensation or even in the mouthpiece...

Granted most studies say that the silica used as wicks in our devices will not break down small enough to become permanently embedded in our lung tissue. I am just less willing to take that chance based on how the ends of silica look after being cut with scissors. I have considered putting in a silica core to my SS wicks but I would cut the silica short so that the ends are well within the SS mesh tube. This might lessen the chance of a frayed bit getting loose especially since on the AGA the air comes from the side and then goes up rather than directly past the hidden silica in the SS mesh tube. I will have to think on this a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread