Not open for further replies.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Need some help!

Just received my Aga-T.
This is my first genesis, and so far I really like the build of it.

Here are my issues...

I setup the SS wick... and I used the drill bit method for the coil.
The coil lights up good... I do not see any hotspots.

I sanded down the cap.....and the air hole lines up with the wick.
The draw was way way to tight for me.... so I drilled it out. I think I might of drilled to much!
Is there a way to make the hole smaller now? Or do they have replacement caps????
The draw is way to airy... right now I have electrical tape covering half of the hole........ is there a better way?
Also, I am using 32awg Kanthal a-1. Doing a basic wrap is metering out at around mid to high 2's....is that normal?
I think that my ohms might be to high for my Twist (waiting on reviews for Vamo!!)

Anyone with any ideas?

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Need some help!

Just received my Aga-T.
This is my first genesis, and so far I really like the build of it.

Here are my issues...

I setup the SS wick... and I used the drill bit method for the coil.
The coil lights up good... I do not see any hotspots.

I sanded down the cap.....and the air hole lines up with the wick.
The draw was way way to tight for me.... so I drilled it out. I think I might of drilled to much!
Is there a way to make the hole smaller now? Or do they have replacement caps????
The draw is way to airy... right now I have electrical tape covering half of the hole........ is there a better way?
Also, I am using 32awg Kanthal a-1. Doing a basic wrap is metering out at around mid to high 2's....is that normal?
I think that my ohms might be to high for my Twist (waiting on reviews for Vamo!!)

Anyone with any ideas?
You can cut strip piece of aluminum can to fit snug inside the cap this way you can close it up over hole similar to tape and adjust to you likeing or just fill with Jb redrill.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
You want your OHM's lower than that, take of a wrap on your coil and see what happens! You can fill the hole with JB weld and re-drill

Why would you want your ohms lower than that? Higher ohms you just adjust your volts. Higher ohms save battery I thought? It really shouldn't make a difference in the vape once dial it in to the watts you want. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Well I only have a Twist, so I can only get 4.8v. And I am sure it does not hold its voltage compared to other devices.
I try to stay in the low 2's with it, and have been good with that. Still trying to get the hang of the Kanthal wraps.

I did try to cut an aluminum can and had it in there....made a small hole with my syringe and it still was airy.
Either the hole is too big, or maybe I just do not have the proper power to run it at those ohms.

I am going to try to get the ohms a little lower with the tape on there. If I can get a quality vape on it with the tape....then I know its just a matter of filling/redrilling the hole.

Does anyone know if they have replacement caps for them? I may just buy another one...but if I can find just a replacement cap that would be good.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
I drilled it with a 1/16 drill bit
but there is literaly no resistance at all to the draw.
for me to get a throat hit, I have to inhale directly. Instead of inhale to mouth, then inhale to lungs.
I do not even feel like any vapor is being produced....but I know there is because I blow it out.....

maybe its not the air hole?

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Ok I re-coiled it. Now using 4 wraps and it shows 1.9 ohms.
I can feel the draw now. How long does it normally take for the wick to break in?
Right now I have let it sit for about 15 minutes, and it tastes ok and vapor is good but the burned taste shows up a little bit here and there.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I can feel the draw now. How long does it normally take for the wick to break in?
Right now I have let it sit for about 15 minutes, and it tastes ok and vapor is good but the burned taste shows up a little bit here and there.

Did you recoil it on a wet wick?

It's much harder to identify small hotspots after there's juice in the tank. Also, some juices like to burn on 32 gauge no matter what you do. I finally switched to 28, seems to cure most of those problems- although a wet coil will be hard to adjust no matter what you're using.

Also, what voltage are you running at?

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

Take a look at your coils, and make sure they are all touching the wick, but not digging in to it. If there is visible space between the coils and the wick, you will get little vapor, and sometimes burnt or little taste, even though the ohms may be reading correctly. Otherwise, it takes a tank full, sometimes even two, before a coil and wick is properly broken in.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Why would you want your ohms lower than that? Higher ohms you just adjust your volts. Higher ohms save battery I thought? It really shouldn't make a difference in the vape once dial it in to the watts you want. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

The resistance shouldn't impact battery life either way. Watts is the measure of energy consumed, so theoretically at least there is no difference in battery life if the watts are the same.

cghildreth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Central Texas
The resistance shouldn't impact battery life either way. Watts is the measure of energy consumed, so theoretically at least there is no difference in battery life if the watts are the same.

Not quite - amps are the measure of energy flow/consumption. Watts are related to amps, but they're not the same. Generally, as you increase resistance, you also have to increase voltage to get the same number of watts. However, amps for given watts decrease as resistance increases. However, because our VV devices are not perfectly efficient in stepping up voltage, often any gain in battery life from increasing resistance is lost in the inefficiency of converting the voltage.

YMMV.

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
I' heard this battery life discussion over and over on the forums,to me what it comes down to, after all said and done, is the wattage, or to be more specific the approximate wattage you like to vape at on your chosen device.
I run nine genesis atomizers including three AGAs, and I generally find depending on the wick dimensions and density I need around 13-20 watts of power to get a good 'hit', great flavor and vapor.
what I am saying is that if you have an energy thirsty device like a genesis and you like a vapor dense delivery from it then varying your Ohms will do little but appease your battery device.
I run 0.9 Ohms on my mechanical mods (5/4 28 Kanthal) and 1.8Ohms on my Zmax, and neither last me very long, the only route to longer battery life at high wattage it the 3400Mah Panasonic 18650.
As a final comment 28g kanthal rocks, is solid as a rock and hits like a rock :)

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Yes the wick was wet. I only have the one wick setup.
I adjusted the coils last night, and they all fired up great. It was working pretty good.
This morning, it looks like only the coil right near the pole and the ground get red. And it is tasting burned unless I vape....let sit...vape...
And if I take a big hit....burned. I tried adjusting the coils, but they do seem dug in the wick a little.
I then twisted the mesh and it "broke free" from the coils and I can see (or atleast I think I see) that the coils are touching, but not dug in.

It is at 1.9 ohms and I have tried it between 3.8 and 4.5 volts on the Twist. Honestly...I do not think this Twist has the power to run a genesis stable. Fresh battery....was decent. But I quickly noticed the lack of vapor and th after using it awhile.

Should the coils be as close together as possible to focus the heat or spread out? I have the 4 coils spread out.
I am also thinking of getting some rolling papers and trying to coil with that also.

Any other suggestions?

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
You can break in your coil by doing ten second burns...about five times.

1/16 inch is about 1.5mm. Most people prefer their air holes to be 1.5mm. I think your problem is the twist. The Twist is designed to be used with attys/cartos/clearomizers with nichrome coils. Kanthal coils aren't as responsive as nichrome...add the fact that you have SS mesh acting as a heat sink....means you can't use the twist to power up the AGA efficiently. Not to mention the AGA-T is super top heavy....how would you even use it with the Twist without it constantly toppling over? Get a provari or a Lavatube before trying to mess with the air hole again. Once you get one and the device really heats up the coils properly, I bet you will like the draw on the your AGA.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Actually the draw isnt bad now that I lowered the coil ohms to 1.9.
But your right, I am trying to find a deal on the Vamo right now.
I really like the looks of that one, and the price is about right for now.

Provari will have to wait for tax time..... because after all of the chargers, batteries and any extras...its abit steep.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I' heard this battery life discussion over and over on the forums,to me what it comes down to, after all said and done, is the wattage, or to be more specific the approximate wattage you like to vape at on your chosen device.
I run nine genesis atomizers including three AGAs, and I generally find depending on the wick dimensions and density I need around 13-20 watts of power to get a good 'hit', great flavor and vapor.
what I am saying is that if you have an energy thirsty device like a genesis and you like a vapor dense delivery from it then varying your Ohms will do little but appease your battery device.
I run 0.9 Ohms on my mechanical mods (5/4 28 Kanthal) and 1.8Ohms on my Zmax, and neither last me very long, the only route to longer battery life at high wattage it the 3400Mah Panasonic 18650.
As a final comment 28g kanthal rocks, is solid as a rock and hits like a rock :)

Dayum! That's a lot of wattage. I DIY all my own juice; and there aren't any I make that I could take above around 9 watts, without tasting like molten asphalt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread