A Quest for Glass / Pyrex Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
ECF buddy Cohan made me aware recently that Vaporfexion is offering glass tubes (clear) for their Pro-V and other cartomator tanks.

Just a heads up in case you had been hoping to replace the default polycarbonate plastic tube with glass.

Pyrex Glass Tubes for all Cartomators - Vaperfexion

ProV.jpg

A Pro-V cartomator tank with blue polycarb tube from Vaporfexion.

ChaoticKinesis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
NYC
ECF buddy Cohan made me aware recently that Vaporfexion is offering glass tubes (clear) for their Pro-V and other cartomator tanks.

Just a heads up in case you had been hoping to replace the default polycarbonate plastic tube with glass.

Pyrex Glass Tubes for all Cartomators - Vaperfexion

View attachment 170346

A Pro-V cartomator tank with blue polycarb tube from Vaporfexion.

Presumably these are the same tubes they offer as an option with any of their tanks. These have the following description: "Pyrex Glass - Clear- Totally resistant to juices, but it is fragile." Does that make them more prone to shattering than pyrex tubes from other vendors?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Presumably these are the same tubes they offer as an option with any of their tanks. These have the following description: "Pyrex Glass - Clear- Totally resistant to juices, but it is fragile." Does that make them more prone to shattering than pyrex tubes from other vendors?
To my knowledge, Vaporfexion just started offering glass tubes for their tanks. Prior to this all they used was polycarbonate plastic. I don't know how fragile this glass is that they are selling, but most vendors that sell glass for their tanks use the obligatory warning that "remember, this is glass and will crack if not used carefully."

Even Phiniac, which is famous for the toughness of their pyrex tubes and have videos on their website demonstrating just how tough they are, still provide the obligatory disclaimer.

I think they are offering the glass due to consumer demand for same. Word is out that polycarbonate plastic is vulnerable to cracking or melting when in contact with certain "tank killer" flavors. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos-33.html#post8158663

There have recently been a couple of manufacturers of pyrex tanks that are way cheaper than the polycarbonate tanks that the earlier generation of tank makers currently still make. IBTanked and Valley View Vapes are two that come to mind. These older tank manufacturers will need to step up their game to continue to be competitive.

Last edited:

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States

I've got a couplle of these, and yes, they're the same glass tanks they've had as an option for at least a few months.

As far as I've been able to tell, they're no more fragile than any other pyrex glass tanks -- they're just more fragile than plastic ones.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've got a couplle of these, and yes, they're the same glass tanks they've had as an option for at least a few months.

As far as I've been able to tell, they're no more fragile than any other pyrex glass tanks -- they're just more fragile than plastic ones.

Have they really been offering the glass tubes that long? I know Chohan and myself spent all summer trying to find a glass replacement for the Pro-v tanks that is documented in this thread, and finally found a semi-decent pyrex tube from Clouds of Vapor that wasn't a "perfect fit". I'm pretty sure that Chohan even emailed the distributor at Vaporfexion requesting exact measurements in order to find a glass replacement elsewhere.

I kinda find it unlikely that both of us could have missed the glass tubes as an accessory. I'm not picking a bone with your statement, but I think it has been more recent that they have starting listing the glass.

Having said that, I appreciate you confirming the glass is of decent quality. Thanks for that info. :thumb:

Last edited:

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Have they really been offering the glass tubes that long? I know Chohan and myself spent all summer trying to find a glass replacement for the Pro-v tanks that is documented in this thread, and finally found a semi-decent pyrex tube from Clouds of Vapor that wasn't a "perfect fit". I'm pretty sure that Chohan even emailed the distributor at Vaporfexion requesting exact measurements in order to find a glass replacement elsewhere.

Yes, they have. I bought the first of my Vaperfexion tanks in early December, and it's Pyrex. I'm not sure how long they'd had them before that.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes, they have. I bought the first of my Vaperfexion tanks in early December, and it's Pyrex. I'm not sure how long they'd had them before that.
So you got your first glass tank just under a couple of months ago. That makes more sense. We got our Pro-V's when the new Provari colors were released in August-September, and the glass tubes weren't available then.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't think that I'll be Vaping "Anything" that can "melt" plastic or crack "Glass/pyrex"

there's just something that makes me go...Hmmmm
It's safe....at least as safe as we know vaping any of the e-liquid to be overall. It's just a chemical reaction to that specific plastic that those flavor contain.

I'm sure that you have drank a Coke in your lifetime. Well, what's the most common solvent easily available to dissolve the crud buildup from your auto's positive battery terminals? It doesn't do the same thing to the human body........at least not since the last time I drank any. :blink:

GRH8095

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2012
California
Just thought I would mention that there is another place where you can buy glass tubes for all different kinds of tanks/devices. Bedazzle tubes only cost $7.00 for Pyrex and $9.00 for Quartz and she even has a new web site...:)

Plain Tubes - Bedazzle Tubes

Just ordered 2 "Stratus" Quartz Plain Clear Tubes, yesterday evening.

damselle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2012
New England
I haven't read this thread in a while. Has anyone mentioned the new pyrex titanium tanks by cloud9vapors? their sweet! here's a pic

s.jpg

what really got me psyched about this is the size, which fits nicely on my twists.

these things are a little pricey, but work great. the one draw back (other than price I guess) is that they are a little "slidey", to quote PBusordo from his review of the Siam's. so you do need to be careful when putting them on the battery. I hold it with the drip tip when twisting it on, that way the carto doesn't slide to much.

BTW, I had asked Bert (from trippy tips) about the difference between pyrex and quartz tanks. He told me this:

"To answer your question, the difference between pyrex and quartz is basically that Pyrex (A brand name for Borosilicate) has boron added to make the glass easier to work, chemically resistant, and more forgiving to being dropped. Quartz glass is almost pure silica. Quartz tends to come in more consistent and exact sizes which I speculate to be the reason that many people use it for tanks. If you can find the right size of Borosilicate glass to fit your tank it is my opinion that you will be happier in the long run because it is more durable from the perspective of it being dropped.

The more important thing to consider than the type of glass is that the edges are polished with a flame, and not left rough. A rough edge means that there are already cracks started at a microscopic level, which can very easily lead to chips and cracks on a larger scale down the road."

I am quoting his message to me, so hope I don't get dinged for it, but he did give me permission....

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv

Here's a Valley Vapes Tank review that includes the 7ml pyrex Triple V Sidewinder. For the price, it's definitely one of my favorites. Some vapers dismiss the side-fill hole since it's not terribly hard to fill and refill tanks. There are other advantages though. It's easy to fix air-pressure issues when they come up and there's less wear on the grommets/caps.

Full review here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread