A heads up to my Notcigs Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Sucks since I just got done replacing two cards from the playstation network fiasco lol

Yep I still have my old Sony account from when I used to play Everquest and EQ2. I didn't have to worry about it since that card is long gone.

One thing that can happen is the sites we purchase from don't always keep up to date on their site security software updates. Hackers love that because when an update comes out it tells what it fixed from the previous version. It's like handing a hacker a walk thru.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
I have been running scans all day. If someone managed to get into my system I would be surprised. 5 layers of security and I dont use keystrokes to enter my CC info. I use a filler that does not log keys. The filler data is double password protected. While most vendors dont physically store the data from CC the processors do. Ive gone back through each vendors site ive used and it appears they are all https although I typically check before checking out. No matter what security used theres always someone out there that can get it. Ive learned I have to protect myself rather than hoping my CC company will do it for me.

Sucks since I just got done replacing two cards from the playstation network fiasco lol

Wow I dont know what they are doing but it has to be GOOD ! because the actual transaction is encrypted when it is sent over the net ???

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
Yeah they are but occasionally that encryption gets cracked. Ive had to put new software on my CC terminals at work several times because Visas encryption was broken. My merchant bank has had problems before as well. Ive moved my merchant account twice over it. Its a unfortunate consequence of credit cards.

With sony the hackers got in and got the decryption protocols they used when they had control of the server. Along with all the personal data of the cardholders.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Yeah they are but occasionally that encryption gets cracked. Ive had to put new software on my CC terminals at work several times because Visas encryption was broken. My merchant bank has had problems before as well. Ive moved my merchant account twice over it. Its a unfortunate consequence of credit cards.

With sony the hackers got in and got the decryption protocols they used when they had control of the server. Along with all the personal data of the cardholders.

Well that makes sense then . I thought the encryption was so good now a days that it could not be broken ?? Guess not !

Modrod.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2010
AZ, USA
Ahh the Playstation fiasco. Fortunately I wasn't affected because I hardly use mine (I play mostly Xbox) but I wasn't surprised when I heard the news. Sony has known about their security issues for a long time but never got it fixed. It started back when they released the PSP. That system got hacked to hell and back and then they used the same coding for the PS3. As for stolen CC numbers, my gf has been hit several times. A few of those came from BJ's Wholesale getting hacked. I think another one was Hannaford supermarket. Others were from online purchases. Myself, I haven't had any issues but I'm more .... about security than my gf. lol

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Ahh the Playstation fiasco. Fortunately I wasn't affected because I hardly use mine (I play mostly Xbox) but I wasn't surprised when I heard the news. Sony has known about their security issues for a long time but never got it fixed. It started back when they released the PSP. That system got hacked to hell and back and then they used the same coding for the PS3. As for stolen CC numbers, my gf has been hit several times. A few of those came from BJ's Wholesale getting hacked. I think another one was Hannaford supermarket. Others were from online purchases. Myself, I haven't had any issues but I'm more .... about security than my gf. lol

Where do you get wholesale prices on BJs?
(sorry, I'm an ...)

mrjaguar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
simi valley, ca
Just a FYI to all of those in notcigs that I consider my friends :) (please note this has nothing to do with notcigs )

I have a credit card that I use solely for Vaping purchases. Its actually a prepaid card as I have had credit cards stolen online TWICE before. Went to make a purchase today and it was declined. Checked the transactions and there was a 0 balance. A friendly person in greece used my card. Needless to say there were also about 20 declined attempts to charge to the card as well. Fortunately im only out about 100 bucks and it could have been much worse. I urge everyone that spends much on vaping to keep a close eye on your accounts. I have absolutely no idea where the issue originated. It could have been a vendor or it could have been a bank breach.

I just wanted to give everyone the word just in case it could save you some trouble :)

Now lets hope nothing goes on sale until I get my new card :p

Ryan

hey ryan,

that sucks, I've had that happen, but not from the vaping community. everyone keeps thinking it's from a dishonest vaping site, but I'm more of the hacker mindset.. personally I think it's people have hacked switches, or routers, or even websites, and just pipe the cc #'s offsite whenever it gets one.
at least it was only $100, and not a few thousand. peace and see ya around.
pat.

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
hey ryan,

that sucks, I've had that happen, but not from the vaping community. everyone keeps thinking it's from a dishonest vaping site, but I'm more of the hacker mindset.. personally I think it's people have hacked switches, or routers, or even websites, and just pipe the cc #'s offsite whenever it gets one.
at least it was only $100, and not a few thousand. peace and see ya around.
pat.

Yeah I hear that. I dont honestly think ANY vendor ive ever dealt with would purposely allow something like that. I tend to agree thats its a security flaw and someone is exploiting it. My goal was to make sure everyone is being watchful as some use CC that have more than 100 bucks on them :)

Apparently I bought some tickets on a greek Ferry Boat to a island :p

BTW always good to see ya around the net :)

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Thanks Wharf. I mowed the lawn today without incident. I mow about an acre of it (the rest is woods) and I just had the surgery last Thursday. Modern medicine is amazing.

Glad to see you are doing well so fast Mist !

now we can live to 150 , ya right !!!!

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
I've been on that boat Ruppy, from Santorini to Mykonos ... I had to pay for my own tickets though LOL

Santorini, fabulous place. Wish I was there right now.

sunset_02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread